Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 3rd June 2005, 11:28

5exi1stTimer is on a distinguished road
Default 5exi Turbo Engine

Hello all..

I am now ready to start playing around with my engine, cleaning it up and making sure i have all thats needed before i drop it into the chassis, however, as most of you are probably already aware, i am shall i say, a bit of a dumb ass when it comes to engines, especially one with a turbo that needs plumbing in before fitting!

I have hunted for a Haynes Manual to give me some help with "what is what" on the 2lt Turbo engine, what connects to what pipe and what parts / sensors / pipes / bolts / gaskets etc etc i am going to need but i cannot find one with the Rover 220 turbo engine in and am now stuck as to what to do next... there is just SO many things on this engine i am looking at, that makes me scratch my head. I dont even know how the turbo works let alone how to plumb it in!!!!!!

In a nut-shell... I need some advice as to what to do next. Is there a website i can go to and learn the basics about turbo engines / turbos??? Can someone point me in some kind of direction... I need a leason into how my turbo and engine in the garage is actually gonna work and bolt all together...

The rest of the build is coming along nicely so far, i just dont want to fiddle with the engine and fit it until i know exactly what EVERYTHING on it does.

My apologies for being a donut, could do with some advice?!

Hope all builds are going to plan!

Andy
Available from eBay
Old 3rd June 2005, 12:03
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Hi Andy.

I dropped my engine in the weekend. You can plumb it in once fitted. The Haynes manual you need is for the Rover 800. But A much beeter option is thr Rave CD that Rover use. Let me know if you need this.

I've been scraching my head for ages so not a silly question. I'm going to hopefully plumb mine in this week end so sound have some pictures on my web site. My web site also has how I'm going to plumb mine in. Might need to change around the marlin adaptors. Use hopefully all the hoses from the donor.

One thing I would say is has your engine had it's cambelt changed? If so change it while it's out. Everything is on this Rave CD.

My web site is www.johnil.blueyonder.pwp.co.uk/5exi

Cheers

John
Old 3rd June 2005, 12:40
Enthusiast

tony-g is on a distinguished road

Hi Andy
You do not have to worry about being a donut, that is what this forum is about; if you do not no something it is better to ask than struggle. I would not think anybody building has not needed help with one aspect or more of the build. I would think there is enough of us donuts to start a cake shop.

I did a search on ask jeeves (how does a car turbo work) and got a lot of good sites. Garret turbo’s has a good site.
The Haynes rover 820 covers the turbo engine and the Rave rover cdrom covers it all with good diagrams of the plumbing.

There are three main issues that come to mind that you need to consider. Is your donor electric or mechanical Speedo and what is you gearbox. You will need to fit a remote oil filter and because of the clearance issue. You will have modify your oil pump and fit a oil cooler if your engine is not of the type that has a oil cooler fitted. The water pump is run from the power steering pulley. There a various options here, keep the power steering pump and just join the inlet and outlet pipes together. but this saps power and the fluid gets rather hot Or remove the pumps completely and fit an electrical water pump. This is what myself and other have done. It does raise the cost though (pump and controller 220 quid)

Oh yes drive shafts, read the earlier posts lot of good info there
A lot of the plumbing has been covered in earlier posts

If you do you engine in small chunks it will come together ok and start to make sense.

All the best
Tony gigg
Old 3rd June 2005, 12:41

Hey John.

How can i get a copy of this Rave CD - sounds like i need it! Can i get one from Rover direct as there is a dealer not far from me!

Also - the Haynes manual for the 800 - If you have one, what exactly does it say on the front, Haynes part number etc. I will go and get one of these today if i can find it but dont wanna buy the wrong one (seem to be doing a lot of incorrect purchasing recently!) Does the Haynes manual explain what all the sensors on the engine are for? Will this be on the Rave CD???? I bought the engine seperately so have no donor to refer back to... wat a nitemare!

So many questions....

Andy
Old 3rd June 2005, 12:53

Tony - thanks 4 advice... Hopefully a copy of the Rave CD and Haynes manual will give me majority of answers (for know!) I will check out Garret turbo website aswell!

The engine i have, has already got an oil cooler (inlet side) at the bottom of the engine.

I have been supplied with a mechanical speedo, not electric. does the speedo need to come from the donor the engine came from? How can i tell if it was electrical or mechanical?!?!?!

The gearbox is a recon'd PG1 box. Thats all i know... Hope i've got the right box?????

I think seeing a 5exi with Turbo engine in would really help me out... Shame theres not many about for me to have a nose at!!!!!

Mucho Gracias!

Andy
Old 3rd June 2005, 14:46
Enthusiast

Dan is on a distinguished road

Andy
You cannot get the RAVE CD from Rover. It's what they use in there workshops ect so it's for dealer use only. If you or anybody else wants a copy of it just PM me your address and I'll burn a copy and send it on to you.
Old 3rd June 2005, 17:51
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

and we have a turbo charger article on the site as well of course

John

Madabout-Kitcars.com
Old 4th June 2005, 09:54
Enthusiast

tony-g is on a distinguished road

hi Andy

Speedo. the electric speedo has a sensor unit that connects to the mechanical output unit on the gearbox. (remove this and it becomes a normal mechanical connection. Instrument cluster will either have a speedo cable connection on the back (or not) I think all 220-420 to 1995 are mechanical.

As long as you have a pg1 gearbox with a mech speedo connection and your instrument cluster has a mech speedo that came from a donor with a 2ltr T series engine there should be no problem. in theory. however i am not sure but if the gearbox was from a 820 vittess sport the gearbox has a different diff ratio. this could affect the correct speed reading.

I am working on my car this week end if you pm me your email address i will send you some phots. Mine is just about plumbed in now apart from the intercooler which i will leave until i fit the body to make sure i get the best air flow with clearence available

all the best
tony