Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds

Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds For Vintage and Classic era kit cars. Post your build reports, problems and progress here

Old 20th June 2016, 18:08

Old Jock is on a distinguished road

Just a quick update. Today I removed the engine and gearbox and put it on a wooden pallet. I had bought a chain hoist from Lidl a couple of months ago for £30.00 just for this occasion and it worked perfectly, albeit a little slower than I would like - a bit like me I suppose! I also have removed the rusted front suspension turret from the chassis and am waiting for the replacement ones to arrive. I have also bought some of the shims to increase negative camber at the front and some shims for the rear tie bars. My friend's son has told me that he may be able to get the chassis steam cleaned on one of the local farms, so if that comes off, it will save me quite a bit of work and time degreasing it before I sand blast it.
I also had a bit of bad news regarding the delivery date for the kit from Mick at Fiorano. It seems that the body shop who make the fibreglass bodywork have been "very Busy" and it won't now be ready until the 4th - 8th July. I have to admit that I am more than a little disappointed as what was supposed to be a 3 week lead time has now turned into more than 2 months. Oh well, I guess that means I have more time to arrange all of the other bits and pieces which need to be done.
Old 21st June 2016, 13:25
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Enjoying your build progress. I built a Marlin Roadster donkeys years ago - the donor had the same issue with the suspension tower bolt as I recall, although it didn't matter as the roadster had a new fabricated chassis so the suspension towers had to come off anyway.

Interesting how much you have to cut off of the front of the chassis. Doesn't modifying the chassis mean you have to do the IVA test? Or perhaps there are some things that are permitted?

Cheers, Robin
Old 21st June 2016, 16:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
Enjoying your build progress. I built a Marlin Roadster donkeys years ago - the donor had the same issue with the suspension tower bolt as I recall, although it didn't matter as the roadster had a new fabricated chassis so the suspension towers had to come off anyway.

Interesting how much you have to cut off of the front of the chassis. Doesn't modifying the chassis mean you have to do the IVA test? Or perhaps there are some things that are permitted?

Cheers, Robin
No idea about the IVA and the chassis mods Robin, although Mick at Fiorano has assured me that no Fiorano has required an IVA. The less I know about it the better as far as I am concerned, I will just leave it all up to the welder. I have been told that cutting off the front bumper support is ok as it is not "the chassis" and the same applies to the outriggers. Case closed for me, so please, anyone who reads this, leave me in ignorant bliss.
Old 22nd June 2016, 18:38

I had a bit of fun removing the front and rear outriggers today. Lots of cutting, banging with a hammer and chisel, grinding and generally making a racket. Still a few little bits and pieces to remove before the chassis goes to be steam cleaned but nothing major.

And there they were - gone!

The keen-eyed among you may have spotted that the front suspension turrets are also gone. This is because one of them had a little hole in it and I bought two from Ebay for a tenner - it would have been rude not to. Wouldn't it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03918.jpg (96.7 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03919.jpg (97.9 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03920.jpg (99.9 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03921.jpg (100.1 KB, 173 views)

Last edited by Old Jock; 22nd June 2016 at 18:42..
Old 23rd June 2016, 08:57
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Chassis looks in pretty good nick! The classic place that they rust (other than everywhere...) is in the dip under the rear driveshafts.

Do you have to move the engine back for the Fiorano? The trick that used to be used by some of the racers was to swap the front suspension towers from one side to the other which effectively moves the engine mounts from the front to the back of the towers. Moves the engine and box back about 6 inches as I recall.

Cheers, Robin
Old 23rd June 2016, 13:27

Hi Robin, Yes, the chassis isn't too bad, just surface rust and flaking paint at the rear end really. I will find out more once it has been steam cleaned. I took a close-up of the rear end of the chassis as I was taking it apart and it looks like this:

Yes the engine and gearbox are moved back to improve the balance of the car. I hadn't heard of swapping the turrets before though.
Cheers, Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03888.jpg (99.9 KB, 159 views)
Old 7th July 2016, 22:47

Good news today. IT HAS FINALLY ARRIVED!!!!

Still on the truck after a 500 mile journey.

Just managed to squeeze it all in the garage

I think I may have to find alternative accomodation for the bike

As the first line says, my Fiorano kit finally arrived today safe and sound. Mick at Fiorano managed to shame the bodyshop into doing the bodywork a week earlier than they had told him - after they had been too busy to do it in the timescale they had suggested at the time it was ordered! The kit was collected and delivered by a chap called Ronnie Ryan who does a lot of work moving restored classic cars around the country. He doesn't just do work up here in Scotland but can pick up and deliver from and to most places in the UK. He was recommended to me by a friend who has a business renovating all sorts of cars from E Types to 1904 Cadillacs, Bentleys and 1930's Bugatti GP racers.
If you need a car or kit moved give him a call on 07738 274660. You may save yourself several hundred pounds, I certainly did - end of plug due for good service. I didn't have any time to play with my new toy this evening but will find a few moments tomorrow, all being well. I'm still waiting for the chassis to be steam cleaned and have visitors from Saturday until next Wednesday so my wife won't be letting me out to play.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03930.jpg (100.3 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03931.jpg (97.7 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03934.jpg (94.8 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03937.jpg (96.8 KB, 150 views)

Last edited by Old Jock; 9th July 2016 at 09:53..
Old 8th July 2016, 01:06

molleur is on a distinguished road

Get that ape off of there as soon as you can. Will save a bunch of work later. NICE!
Old 8th July 2016, 11:21

Hi Molleur, Thanks for the advice. Although I kept looking for a very large monkey until it dawned on me that you had missed out a "t"! Yes, that will be my first job when I get into the garage this afternoon.
Old 8th July 2016, 22:59

Removed the sticky tape which held the bonnet and boot in place during transportation following Molleur's kind advice. The finish of the outside of the bodywork if pretty smooth all over except for where the "joins" are on the top surface and around the small air intake on the bonnet. No rough patches as far as I can see and no pin holes etc so, hopefully, not too much rubbing down and filling other than around the edges to improve the shut lines of the bonnet and boot. I'm quite impressed and happy with the overall finish. All of the other chassis and various bulkhead parts come in associated packages with identifying labels of what's in each package which will help once I get to the body assembly stage. I haven't opened any of them yet but what I can see through the plastic wrapping looks to be very neat and clean with nice smooth edges to the plywood and aluminium. Unfortunately, I won't be able to play with it until later next week when I will have to decide if it's likely that the offer of steam cleaning the chassis is going to be fulfilled or if I just go ahead and degrease it with Gunk myself and then shot blast it. Oh, all these decisions!
Old 9th July 2016, 07:13

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Old Jock - Glad to see your body work has arrived.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 9th July 2016, 12:08

Car photographer is on a distinguished road

Cool, glad it's all arrived safe and sound
Old 9th July 2016, 12:39

Hi both Pauls, Thanks for the good wishes, it's just a shame I don't have (or am not currently allowed) the time to play with it at the moment. Still, I suppose in the grand scheme of things 5 days isn't too long!
I'm only too glad to have it finally arrive as I was starting to despair.
So, Paul (A)
ps: I have ordered a few more bits and pieces and will post them up as and when they arrive
Old 9th July 2016, 20:00

Cool!
If you decide to buy their grille or windscreen things let me know because mine are surplus and I'd sell them at half what they charge
Old 9th July 2016, 20:19

Hi Paul, Thanks for the offer but I don't really like the grille that Fiorano used to supply (they don't do them anymore but will supply the pattern if required). I'm not sure what I want for keeping the wind off yet but I'll keep your screens in mind.
Cheers,
Paul

Last edited by Old Jock; 9th July 2016 at 21:47..
Old 9th July 2016, 23:14

No worries, I understand - that's why I never used it
Old 19th July 2016, 21:23

I took advantage of the good weather today to upgrade the carport by laying some old plyboard on the floor rather than walk on gravel and have a general tidy up. I also cut up an old speedboat hull which may provide some "interesting" fibre glass parts for the Fiorano.

As you can see, the engine and gearbox are still sat on a pallet under the tarpaulin waiting for attention and the chassis is still waiting to be degreased.

My friend decided that security needed to be tightened up and promptly built a sentry box and provided a security guard! Those of you interested in the Second World War will, no doubt, have spotted that the sentry box is painted in Kriegsmarine colours

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03942.jpg (95.9 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03940.jpg (97.0 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03945.jpg (97.2 KB, 93 views)
Old 25th July 2016, 16:52

Well, I finally gave up on waiting to have the chassis steam cleaned and degreased it myself with good old, old-fashioned, Gunk. What a dirty job, but what a good job the Gunk did. Now all I need to do is find a day without rain so I can grit blast the chassis.
Like Car Photographer, I have been thinking of what to do about a grille. I quite like the mesh grille which he is considering but have also tried this. What do you think? I know it will make the aperture a little smaller, but nothing that can't be compensated for by using twin electric fans I think.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03946.jpg (90.4 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03951.jpg (93.2 KB, 81 views)
Old 25th July 2016, 16:58

molleur is on a distinguished road

Nice, that looks great!
Old 25th July 2016, 18:48

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

Is that a contemporary Jag grill?