Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 16th May 2019, 23:18

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road
Default 2.8 Z3 on ebay

Been watching this scabby Z3 on ebay. Item 173896460848

Lots of interest and loads of bids. Needs a fair bit of work to get through an MOT. The suspension is shot , the exhaust is blowing etc etc.
Bidding upto £1800 with another day to run !!

Checking the MOT history reveals a pretty poor history of fails every year and loads of advisories.

Why would you want it when there are plenty of good ones for around £2500 !
Available from eBay
Old 17th May 2019, 20:48

Nostromo is on a distinguished road

Probably got his mates bidding it up for him.
Old 18th May 2019, 09:59

Barber is on a distinguished road

No doubt it will be all the interested folk afterStoneleogh, aiming to get a donor before ordering a kit.
Old 18th May 2019, 16:11

I hope not ! It went for under £1900 in the end but it wasn't a good buy at that sort of money.

Better to buy a good donor car that is sound that has been looked after. When you can sell on so many parts you don't need, a really tidy £3k donor can end up costing less than £2k.

There are plenty of good examples out there for around £2 -3k. The base car is important with a rebody kit, why skimp on a really rough Z3 donor when you will be spending £8 - 12k to complete a build?

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 18th May 2019 at 16:14..
Old 18th May 2019, 16:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans View Post
I hope not ! It went for under £1900 in the end but it wasn't a good buy at that sort of money.

Better to buy a good donor car that is sound that has been looked after. When you can sell on so many parts you don't need, a really tidy £3k donor can end up costing less than £2k.

There are plenty of good examples out there for around £2 -3k. The base car is important with a rebody kit, why skimp on a really rough Z3 donor when you will be spending £8 - 12k to complete a build?
I agree with your reasoning, that is what I am doing. But there are a few who have bought cheap ones and done the fixes themselves.
Old 18th May 2019, 17:35

Hughandjen is on a distinguished road

I think I have been quite lucky. I bought a scabby 2.8 for £1200.
But all the scab is in the paintwork. The engine is sweet and chassis looks great. I don’t think I will get much on eBay for the body parts ��
Old 18th May 2019, 17:57

molleur is on a distinguished road

got lucky on my 1998 2.8 Z3.
4300 GBP always garage kept, only 48,000 miles and all
BMW service receipts. Paint was pristine as well. Looked kike it just left the showroom.
Old 18th May 2019, 20:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber View Post
I agree with your reasoning, that is what I am doing. But there are a few who have bought cheap ones and done the fixes themselves.
I always check the MOT history of a car before buying. You might be offered a car with a new MOT but dig a little deeper and you might find a list of advisories as long as your arm that will need doing next time.
Go back a year or two and see if it has been failing at every MOT before the essentials were fixed. It gives a good idea of the general condition you can expect when buying.
The car mentioned at the start of this thread had a string of fails and many advisories that will need sorting in the not too distant future. For another £500 - 600 you could buy a good one with a sound history saving a load of time and money on fixes.

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 18th May 2019 at 20:38..
Old 18th May 2019, 20:49

Again, top advise, also, the buyer guide that Richard Nird wrote (available on the Classic Coachworks site). The MOT often gives info. regarding previous fails, followed by passes for such things as dodgy and corroded suspension etc. Everything is a trade off, so it is a question of being patient and making an informed choice. I paid £4K for a 50k 3 let, which was a very good price, but the £850 to get the yaw sensor replaced brought it back to close to market. It has good panels, working and decent electric roof, roll bars and a good tonneau, so like you say, probably above average recovery to reduce the net donor cost. Swings and roundabouts everywhere. Mine will be the base for an everyday drive car, so everything has to be spot on mechanically.
Old 20th May 2019, 07:37

smash is on a distinguished road

Mine was also flawed on body area- bizarrely used as bargaining point knowing it was all coming off anyway!
Old 20th May 2019, 08:35

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Be patient, good cheap cars do come up. Recently picked one up for £950. 2.8, 88k,mot, uptated lowered suspension, recent tyres perect leather interior. Bad points, owner had tried to seal the rear window with black silicone and a chunk out of the front bumper.
Will more than cover its cost when stripped especially as it has perfect moving door mirrors.
Have managed to sell complete outer body panel sets to members of the z forum for around a grand a pop including fitting, nice to see a tatty z drive in and drive out at the end of the day transformed. This normally almost covers the cost of the car plus a days labour.
Old 20th May 2019, 17:43

IanA is on a distinguished road

This could all be academic soon.
The latest pic of the garage at Moreton (in the XK120-alike ad on eBay) shows a Z4 in the process of being stripped down...
Old 20th May 2019, 19:52

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanA View Post
This could all be academic soon.
The latest pic of the garage at Moreton (in the XK120-alike ad on eBay) shows a Z4 in the process of being stripped down...
Well spotted
Old 21st May 2019, 18:19

IanA is on a distinguished road

...and an Audi TT.