Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 1st September 2007, 08:36
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road
Unhappy High Power Turbo and Type R owners

Hi guys.

Just wanted to for warn you about the power these cars have in a tiny little car. Caught me totally by surprise. I discovered this week the hard way. For 700 miles, I got used to the car. The chassis coped with what ever the engine through at it. No loss of controls at full chat. But this week discovered I have been running without the turbo due to a boost leak. since I've had the car. Fixed the problem. Result. Spun the car 180 degrees. The torque at 3-4k just took the back end out and over took the front. The power was frightening is the only to describe it. Now I know all of this was down to my bad driving. But just wanted to warn the others what to expect.

I was not hurt. Car is damaged. Assessing this weekend. First glance, there is not much damage (wishbone, shock and bonnet). But the chavs pinched the bonnet while I was recovering the car. Stole the morette headlights and front spoiler. Basically broke the low half of the bonnet. So now bonnet is not repairable.

I have drove so very fast cars. But I learned a valuable lesson. This car is like nothing else you will have ever drove. Period. Respect it. I will in future.

Highly recommend these track days Marlin are doing to test the car.
Available from eBay
Old 1st September 2007, 09:08
Enthusiast

BIG_Fella is on a distinguished road

Unlucky dude at least you where not hurt
I have allways planed to do some track time to learn what the car is capable of doing befor ranting it down a road
Hope you can fix it

Big fella
Old 1st September 2007, 09:41
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

John, not a good story to read, but the fact you're posting and unhurt is pleasing.

Hard to believe you crashed and some scum stole things from you! Did anyone stop to help you?? The public at large are quite disturbing in this country at times - a motorbike and car collided right in front of me on Tuesday, and despite many people seeing it, not ONE other person stopped! I even got some really funny looks as I stuffed my car on the verge and went to check all were okay!
Old 1st September 2007, 11:07
Enthusiast

bigrich is on a distinguished road

John,

Glad to hear you're OK....it's loads easier to fix cars than bones.

Shame about the s**ts who nicked your bits....I guess Marlin can supply you the bits you'll need to get her back together.

If you've got a knackered damper and wishbone I'd check the chassis geometry as well to be sure....it's easy to twist bits on small box section spaceframes and not notice.

What did you hit?...kerb? or verge?

ATB

Rich
Old 1st September 2007, 11:16
Enthusiast

Thanks for your support guys.

The car spun while in second gear on the entry slip to a dual carrage way. It goes up a hill as the main carrage way is on a flyover. My mistake was I floored it as I was going round the bend as the slip starts so did not get very far up the slip road. The car spun and hit the kerb.

I did this plenty of times while the turbo was not working and felt really confident in the car. Boy was that a big mistake.

Going to get the car up high today so will take some measurements of the chassis to supply Marlin when I order the bits. Did a quick diagonal measurement of the fuel tank top area of the chassis. And corner to corner, of the box section, there was a 8mm difference. But will strip today that area and take some more accurate measurements over the weekend. Will also take some measurements of the rear section.

Just wanted to warn people that the car will bit!

How the car felt.

This story reminds me:
http://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1995-04.html

Old 1st September 2007, 12:16
Enthusiast

Jon@JNRacing.co.uk is on a distinguished road

Glade to hear your ok, and hopfully not too much damage to the car. Mark is fitting 205 tyres on his and dylans race cars as the back is sliding with 218bhp, so maybe worth a couple of wider tyres on the back to help keep it in line, in the future. If your not expecting it its always worse, hope you get the car up and running again soon.
Old 1st September 2007, 13:58
Enthusiast

dylanp is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Sh*t luck John.. Very sorry to hear!

Like the others have already said - the main thing is that you are ok!

For the benefit of others: I hope that I don't end up sounding like an old granny - but these cars really need to be respected - especially on public roads!

Quite honestly, I've spun my race car numerous times on the race track - even when it only had 160BHp!! Anything over 200BHP in a car that weights little over half ton really needs to be respected if not feared!

Go on a track day or two and find the car's limits (and your limits of course).. Spin it a few times in a controlled environment where you are not likely to damage yourself or the car and then you will know how far you can push it on the road..

Hope the chasis is ok John and that the repairs will only amount to spanner work..

Dylan
Old 1st September 2007, 15:34
Enthusiast

craig is on a distinguished road

John, Just got in from work and read this....I am totally gutted for you but so pleased you are ok!

You are right about the fastest thing that poeple have driven, with their power to weight they are way up there with the supercars.

Hope you get it sorted soon

all the best
Craig
Old 1st September 2007, 16:28
Enthusiast

Stripped car today. Fuel tank out springs/wishbones off. Will take some measurements tomorrow. Raised car high enough for even me to slide under the car. Gave me a great deal of satisfaction to actually get a spanner and rachet in my hand again.

Fear is the word Dylan. Pins you back tightly to the seat and hang on to steering wheel for dear life.

Thanks for all your support guys.

Hopefully all will be ok with chassis.
Old 1st September 2007, 16:58
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

How awful after only just getting it finished!

You might want to get your insurance guy out to inspect the damage before you dismantle too much?
I presume you have lots of photo's?

Peter
Old 1st September 2007, 18:06
Enthusiast

DavidH is on a distinguished road

John,

To echo everyones comments. Sorry to hear about the prang to your car. Good that your ok, and already planning the rebuild. Lets hope the chassis is ok.

David.
Old 1st September 2007, 22:09
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
How awful after only just getting it finished!

You might want to get your insurance guy out to inspect the damage before you dismantle too much?
I presume you have lots of photo's?

Peter
I'm hoping I don't need the insurance guy. Fingers crossed. Hoping chassis if damage, is repairable. Yep a right bumer. Keep beating myself up about it what an idiot I've been. Hoping not much in parts to call in the insurance guy.

The car was enjoyable at full thottle without turbo. Could throw the car into a corner, full thottle with confidence. I persume about 120-130 BHP. This then turned into 210-220 BHP by fixing a split pipe! Totally different animal! A sudden shock in power. Usually, ECU contriols boost from say 2.5 K at 7 PSI. Then rises as the revs rise. Mine was knackered. So I got an after market one. Which gets the normal Rover a totally different response in boost. But in the 5EXI which was set at 10 PSI (yes not at standard at 12PSI so still more to go!), this 10 PSI came in at 2.5 K all the way up the rev range! A slap with a wet fish as soon as you reach 2.5K! This mixed with my bad driving.....

As Dylan says. 160 BHP is plenty to break the rear end out of control. 320 BHP in a supercharger type R or a modified Rover turbo? Not on your nelly for me!

For me know. Turbo K series/VTEC or twin cam honda engined GTI (from Rover/ Civic). With the option in the future for turbo.
Old 1st September 2007, 22:34
Enthusiast

Ex-Biker is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about your accident.

Gladyou are OK. Hope thecar can be repaired.
Old 1st September 2007, 22:38
Enthusiast

grant620 is on a distinguished road

As per emails mate - I hope it's all ok.
Good luck with it.
Old 2nd September 2007, 19:05
Enthusiast

MikeR is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about the accident - hope your up and running again soon.

Regards
Mike R
Old 2nd September 2007, 21:03
Enthusiast

Cheers guys.

I want to say a big thanks to Steve (SDMC001) and Ian (merlinman). We checked the damage. The lower chassis rail has moved But not a big job to repair so Ian tells me! Front area that front section hooks on to has moved. Again Ian says but a big job. Reweld soome of the joins to just to be on the safe side.

Car is now back on it's wheels and pointing straight! Parts I need are top and bottom wishbones for the rear (borrowed Ian's lower wishbone) to get her back on her wheels. Front and rear uprights. Front ball joint. And new bonnet and spoiler.

So hopefully not too much of a job to get her back on the road.

Steve took me for a ride in his 5EXI today. Lovely job Steve. A bit of a psychological thing for me but drove past the crash scene in another 5EXI. Steve offered my a drive. Thanks Steve. But again a psychological thing, only one Marlin I want to drive past the crash scene.

Hopefully see you soon at a meet and shake all your hands for your support.
Old 3rd September 2007, 12:40
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

John,

It's interesting you metion the boost control, as I was going to ask about that.

I guess you fitted a dawes-esk device (ball and spring job), which if it has the same effect on your car, as it did on my friend's car, the boost coming in, is rather like a switch.

Does the rover normally run closed loop boost control if running a solenoid valve?

A VX220 turbo has very progressive boost, to reduce the chances of mid corner "chug chug, kabooom" style boost build.

Although you can modulate the throttle to an extent with your right foot, would it be worth getting an adjustable electronic boost controller? From what I recall the dawes devices can cause pretty hefty boost spikes, and a decent electronic controller should help reduce these, amongst other things and give you more control in general.

Good to read that fellow builders have mucked in and helped you.
Old 3rd September 2007, 16:56
Enthusiast

EXI Turbo is on a distinguished road

Just got back from holiday and read this, great to hear you are ok and couldn't believe someone stole bits from the crash site. Main thing is you are ok. Nick
Old 3rd September 2007, 17:12
Enthusiast

Hi guys. My ECU controlled one was knackered. So I bought an up rated one. Great little device for the money. But as you say a slap in the face with a wet fish once 2.5K revs appear!

Will get a proper boost controller eventually. I just learn to drive it better.

Your running gear is from a 800 turbo if it's from Marlin. They had 2 different power output's for the 800 depending on year. 1800 HP and 200HP. Mine was from a 200 HP coupe. If your's is 180HP version, you should have a lot more control.

I think as a whole, there is a great 5EXI spirit.

Hopefull sorting chassis out this week.
Old 3rd September 2007, 22:16
Enthusiast

Ric H is on a distinguished road

Had a weekend away myself so only just read this. Gutted for you mate, glad you're ok.

Made me think: I've lost track a bit - is anyone actually running a type R car on the road yet? Any drivability feedback? I guess the VTEC point will have a bit of a "boost spike" type effect, but hopefully a little milder...
Richard