Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Miglia Builds and discussion

Miglia Builds and discussion Miglia bodied builds

Old 6th January 2017, 20:07

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Happy new year!

Its been a while since i last posted and i felt it was time for an update for the handful of Miglia owners out there.

Its been a great summer and ive been out enjoying the car and have taken it to a number of shows where it has attracted a lot of positive feedback.

Sadly i changed phone in December and lost all my summer photos before i could upload them but i did go out for a run on New Years Day up on the Mendips and got a lovley pic just as the sun was setting (and my hands were going numb)

And yes... i know i left the door a bit ajar and the rear wheel is in a pothole, but did i mention that it was chuffing cold, as can be seen by the ice in front of the car. But it was worth it.

Hopefully more updates in 2017!
Old 6th January 2017, 21:27

molleur is on a distinguished road

Looks great!, thanks..
Old 7th January 2017, 10:10

phil9 is on a distinguished road

cool nice too see it out
Old 7th January 2017, 11:56

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Dave - Welcome back.

Shame you lost all your summer photos, but that sunset one looks great.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 10th January 2017, 20:12

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

CAR LOOKS GREAT OUT AND ABOUT DAVE ...Glad to see you are using her ...
Old 22nd February 2017, 21:34

It was always my plan to get the car on the road and enjoy it and then over time start adding more posh bits.

Well ive had a good year enjoying the car but in the new year drive out i decided that the time had come to start applying poshness, starting with heating!

Ive been building a stock of stuff from autojumbles and fleabay over the years including some of those amazing air vents used by RR and Bentley as id won the centre console of a Bentley Continental for next to no money a few years back

But when i got it down from the attic in the garage i was stunned to see that one of the vents the chrome was peeling already! On a 10yr old Bentley vent! Not cortina or Triumph. Bentley!

Anyhow.... despite niggling it was time to dig out all the bits and see what i had

(Ignore the alternators!!)

Then i bit the bullet and tried to figure out where to fit things. After a lot of pondering i dug out the hole saws and went for it

Scary, but with the vents roughly screwed in place im very happy with how this is looking

Old 22nd February 2017, 22:38

molleur is on a distinguished road

Looking good!
Old 24th February 2017, 08:12

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Looking at your heater collection, I have a similar Smith's heater in the Jag. Totally useless, very little heat or blow. I fitted an uprated metric and blower motor from David Manners. It is now useless +5%! Don't bother wasting your money if you were considering trying to improve one of the old Smith's heaters.
Has anyone fitted a good after market one that actually works?
Old 24th February 2017, 08:33

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
So, how do you define 'works'?

I fitted one of the small, square micro heaters and it does a really good job of stopping the engine from overheating while stuck in traffic in the blazing sun. As such, as a supplementary cooling device it really 'works'.

As a heater, with the output air directed through appropriate ducting it will take the chill off but it's never going to make you sweat, and without the ducts it's completely useless as any heat produced just gets sucked out of the car without doing diddly squat.

Additionally, in winter my old motor runs much cooler anyway so there's less heat in the water circulating through the heater matrix to start with, which definitely affects the heat output - it's much more efficient as a heater in summer!

Having said all the above, I would recommend fitting some sort of heater matrix to any kit car, primarily as a supplementary cooling radiator, and if it warms the cockpit at all in winter then it's a bonus.

Otherwise, just take a leaf out of Phil J's book and wear the full sheepskin lined leather flying jacket with matching hat and you'll both feel warm and look cool, which is quite a neat trick to pull off.
Old 24th February 2017, 09:06

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Not after market but...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr

I've fitted the flat Triumph Spitfire heaters in a few kit cars and found them to be fine, as long as a passenger isn't being carried, necessitating the removal of the other half of the tonneau cover. I disable the screen vents and the near side cockpit vent so that all the heat is directed into the driver's side footwell. This, in combination with my heated vest, keeps me toasty on the coldest morning.

Regards, Mick
Old 24th February 2017, 15:11

Barber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
So, how do you define 'works'?

Otherwise, just take a leaf out of Phil J's book and wear the full sheepskin lined leather flying jacket with matching hat and you'll both feel warm and look cool, which is quite a neat trick to pull off.
But avoid looking like Chubby Brown
Old 26th February 2017, 13:42

Dave - It seems that they don't make Bentleys like they used to.

Still, at least your car looks good.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 5th March 2017, 17:21

Cheers for the comments guys.

I'd looked at the micro heater that Towed has and also those Spitfire units but i quite like the idea of reusing original parts wherever i can so I'll have a tinker with those 2 Vitesse units first and see what can be done before i look elsewhere.

I've now got the dash vents secured and while I'd like to eventually make some milled alloy surrounds these will do for the moment although i am wondering if they are a bit too big for the cockpit?

Next bit i want to tinker with are the controls, centre console and footwell vents
Old 31st March 2017, 13:34

My how time flies, as i was just reminded that it was time for what is known by my sons as "the little red car" to have it's MOT!

Well it went in to my local garage last week and as some of you who've been around will remember, my local is a bit of a stickler (which is why i go to him!) and it passed 1st time with no advisories

So with that out of the way it was back to the garage for more tinkering with the cockpit heating/cooling.

After looking at the various controls and switches I've accumulated i decided to go for the Chrome levers and then came time to play with where to fit everything.

After a few hrs of sticking things in various locations (ooh err matron!) I've decided to go with a central location:

I found the shift pattern of the gear lever to be quite interesting and the plan is to make alloy panels and then mill an alloy geargate and bolt that on as a finishing piece.

With the template roughly right i transferred it to Alloy and fitted the control levers (i can't wait for the comments when people read "Demist" on the left control!) and I also decided on a location for the switch. Although the switch knob i plan to replace in alloy at some point.

I also decided to fit the lighter I've had since my old Sammio build that has "Cigar" written on end, as it just seems to fit and it also makes the car that little bit more Terry Thomas in character

Now time to disassemble all of that and make it look a bit more finished before i start looking at the 2 Vitesse heat exchangers i have in order to see if either of them is going to be of any use.
Old 31st March 2017, 15:24

jones is on a distinguished road

Dave, liking the tinkering and upgrades. With reference to your own comment a out the vents looking too big have you thought about rear mounting them?
Old 1st April 2017, 08:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones View Post
Dave, liking the tinkering and upgrades.
+1

I particularly like the alternative "H" gate.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 2nd April 2017, 17:27

Barber is on a distinguished road

I think it is the "Triberatti Trident"
Old 30th June 2017, 16:08

jayporter is on a distinguished road

Hi Dave, i don't normally post on forums but as a fellow Miglia owner i thought i'd tell you what i did for heating mine, i used the original herald heater and piped it direct through into both footwells above the feet for maximum effect then had the original seats recovered in black leather but with after market 12v seat heater pads in the back and base, this gives a rather toastie warm feel in all temps. i'll try to post some pics of the car when i work out how to upload them. Cheers.
Old 5th July 2017, 19:08

Cheers matey, after a bit of tinkering and looking at the old Triumph units i think i'm in agreement and i'm going to use one as well.

Here's the tinkering so far....

Out of the 2 units the rounded one seemed to fit best here:

So i did some jiggling and thinking and i'm going with that and also the old variable vent unit

Then i took it apart to clean and paint it. what a lovely old-fashion design insofar as it was designed to be repaired, rather than thrown away like a lot of the modern stuff!!

Old 5th July 2017, 19:14

In this configuration the air intake of the heater ends up pointing down, so i thought about cutting holes in the bulkhead, didn't really fancy that, and then was inspired by some PC cooling bits i had lying around and i ended up fabricating this out of alloy where the air comes in through the wide gap on the right edge

That fits in lovely and allows me to take the air intake from one of the side vents in the shell using a bit of flexi-pipe behind the battery!

You can also see that i have cut a rectangular hole in the bulkhead through to the cockpit and that is slightly larger than the variable vent box but now at a slightly different height to the output of the heater so some more fabrication was needed.

This time roughed up in card and then fettled in alloy to bridge the gap and feed the air through to the cockpit