Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Old 1st August 2013, 10:34

sciguy88 is on a distinguished road
Default New to kit cars

Hi guys I just bought a Dutton Melos that needs a fair bit of work my first problem is an oil leak seems like an odd place to be leaking from what would be the best option to sort it? It's a ford type 9 Gearbox
Thanks Simon

Available from eBay
Old 1st August 2013, 10:55

chrislandy is on a distinguished road

The rear seal has probably failed and it looks like the prop has moved rearwards slightly. There is no oil to leak from the UJ, just a little grease maybe...

chris
Old 1st August 2013, 11:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislandy View Post
The rear seal has probably failed and it looks like the prop has moved rearwards slightly. There is no oil to leak from the UJ, just a little grease maybe...

chris
Would it be possible to take off the drive shaft (I'm guessing its just a tappered pin) and then using something like prc to seal it, its literally coming from the UJ so I guess the shaft is hollow and coming out of the end,
Will be stripping and rebuilding the whole car over the winter but just wanted to blast it around for the rest of this summer
Old 1st August 2013, 21:43

Viatron is on a distinguished road

Undo the bolts holding the other end to the diff flange, let it drop down and you will then be able to withdraw the prop from the back of the gearbox. The seal is a fairly easy fit, reassemble in the reverse order. Just be aware that when you withdraw the prop from the gearbox it will dump all its oil AND IT STINKS! Make sure you have access to the fill plug on the side as on a lot of kit cars it can be a bugger to get at.
HTH
Old 1st August 2013, 22:59

ahhh I know now thanks will let you know how I get on thought it might have been a big job do you know what washer it is at all? so I can order it for when I get home next week I'm hoping the sun might be out
Old 1st August 2013, 23:08

froggyman is on a distinguished road

If the oil is leaking from the area inside the UJ as indicated then the oil is travelling along the splines of propshaft and weeping through the welch plug that blocks the end of the front yolk. If you jack the rear up really high you can withdraw the shaft with little or no oil loss to enable a closer inspection. See link attatched for picture to clarify. Hope this helps. http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-...FeXMtAodBTQAbQ
Old 15th August 2013, 23:41

took it off and made a quick repair but it still leaks do i need to buy a new yoke? I've tried looking for a welch plug but cant find anything at this rate I think it would be easier just to buy a complete driveshaft
Old 11th October 2013, 01:02

Kit car solutions is on a distinguished road

Hiya
I was looking at that pic and it reminds me of a car I worked on where the joint didnt push far enough into the box, does yours definately sit in correctly. Seals are cheap enough and easy enough to replace but wouldnt it be a nuisance if you had to do it twice.
James
Old 11th October 2013, 08:23

Viatron is on a distinguished road

The front of a type 9 prop is actually quite long as its meant to slide in and out to take into account the change in length due to the rear moving up and down on a live axle setup. If you remove the prop then the seal is a 10 minute job, you can also change the tail housing bush whilst your there, a kit to do this is available here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-TYPE-...item485979eee4

As has already been said you can save the oil by jacking the rear up high enough. Whilst you have the prop off clean it up and pour some oil in the end of the yoke and see if it leaks out, cant say i have ever seen a type 9 yoke leak but its worth checking.
Old 31st October 2013, 21:12

Rumbles is on a distinguished road

There is a flexible seal to keep oil from leaking between the outside diameter of the yoke and the tail case of the transmission. However, there is no flexible seal inside the yoke to keep oil from seeping thru the drive spline. Instead, there should be a plug inside the yoke to keep the fluid contained.

If the yoke came from a salvaged car that was in a front or rear collision, that plug in the yoke may have been knocked out. You probably won't find a replacement plug, so just weld a freeze plug over the opening in the yoke.

I had this happen to me on a Ford yoke a couple years back and it leaked right where your arrow points...

Last edited by Rumbles; 31st October 2013 at 21:16..