Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10th February 2012, 19:32

denniswpearce is on a distinguished road
Default Dual servo

Tried to finish off my servo installation today, but met an unexpected problem. I attached the new feed lines to the remote reservoir then fitted it in place. I have added a couple of pics to this so you can see results. Servo is sandwiched between the battery and pedal box. I then decided to route the feed lines under the new servo then up to the m/c input. A very long route but out of the way I thought. Connected it all up then with my wife sat in the seat to push the pedal we bled the system. Surprisingly after 6/7 pumps per cylinder all the air appeared to be driven out. Then foot on the pedal and it went straight to the floor with not a lot of resistance. Then tried it twice more with small amounts of air being expelled but same result with pedal.
It did not make sense, why do I not have a brake, after all when I tried it with the original lines ( which were too short and via a straight line ) I had a good brake pressure. I then bled them again but this time did approx 20/25 pumps per wheel and got much more air out and at the end there was pressure when I applied the brake.
I took it down our private road and it worked but I would not want to stop in an emergency on the main road. Something still amiss.
Only thing I could think of is that the new lines are much longer ( approx 850mm ) and it dives down under the servo. Have I created an air gap in the lines to the m/c, which are not under pressure, unlike the the copper lines that feed the wheels from the m/c. So is the air staying in the lines and gradually seeping in to the system. I am going to have to bleed them again and I will shorten the lines to a more direct route.
Any suggestions as to what my problem is ?

In the pics you can see my solution to my wing stay issue I had like the rest of you. I intend to add one more U clamp as the plate is big enough. I copied Robins solution with the fibreglass mudguards because of my 18" wheels ie holes through the side.
There is also a pic of my old servo in place.
I will one of these days post a pic of the car when I bought it with all its stickers on ( even under the bonnet as you can see ) and how it looks now.

DSC00350 by denniswpearce, on Flickr

Sportster 019 by denniswpearce, on Flickr

DSC00348 by denniswpearce, on Flickr

DSC00345 by denniswpearce, on Flickr