Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 16th December 2009, 08:42
Enthusiast

timbo is on a distinguished road

I'm sure the new bumpers will pass the IVA - they look pretty similar to how mine looked after I glued on some ali extensions.
I pre-drilled a hole for a self-tapper, used some 1mm ali bent into a cylinder as a spacer, and then just hammered them home.
Its looking good!
Tim
Old 16th December 2009, 14:39
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Aha - two people seperated by a common language.... I'll try again ;-)

Where did you get your gear knob and "tubey thing that slides over the handbrake to make it look posh" from.

Funny about the ali. Mine did exactly the same - get one side to fit and the (previously perfect) other side no longer does!

Cheers

Robin
Old 16th December 2009, 15:40
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Ah - sorry. They're standard Richbrook items. I got the gear knob from Halfrauds, and the handbrake from a place on eBay:

Gearknob: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165732

Handbrake:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SILVER-RICHBRO...ht_2138wt_1167

IIRC, you have to fettle the gearknob a little to make it fit over the E30 shifter. It is designed to fit it, but out of the box it's very tight. I kust used my dremel and a sanding drum to skim the inside and then it fit fine.

I've managed to sit down and transcribe Rob's circuit - there are some components there without any values, as he's still pondering them - but here it is for discussion:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lowfuelrob2.jpg (39.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 16th December 2009, 16:33
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Thanks Jason

Good luck with the circuit. Methinks it would be quite handy to somehow connect the fuel gauge in there - after the damping. It would be like having a virtual baffle in the fuel tank. Hmmm - food for thought....

Robin
Old 16th December 2009, 22:35
Enthusiast

here's a better version of the diagram - one you can actually read!

http://www.greatoldone.co.uk/Sportst...owfuelrob2.bmp
Old 17th December 2009, 07:43

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road

Fuel gauge light looks OK to me.
I think if C4 is32uF, R8 is 500M and RV3 is 500M then you would have a delay variable of between 20sec and 40 sec.
Using two comparitors like that will be a much better solution than the single comparitor solutions you had earlier.

To drive the fuel gauge in a similar manner will require an analog circuit, but could be feasible.......
Old 18th January 2010, 17:52
Enthusiast

First real work of the new year - I fitted the front bumpers tonight. Considerably easier than the front ones, even if it dod mean taking the driving lights off and unhooking the top wishbone!

I think I may try some carpeting tomorrow, now that the temps are coming back up and the glue might have a chance of going off.
Old 18th January 2010, 21:37
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

It's good to see someone has made it into the garage! (but we need pictures as updates on this forum are becoming rare)

Get your IVA booked, as we want to see you in the Gooster at Stoneliegh this year.
Old 18th January 2010, 23:58
Enthusiast

jeremy is on a distinguished road
Default updates

Happy New Year to all....want to put some pics on forum..how do I do it directly without links to remote gallery?jeremy
Old 19th January 2010, 07:14
Enthusiast

Jeremy - as long as they're not too big, you can attach them. Click on the 'manage attachments' button under the thread reply box and you'll be able to specify the files / images you want to post.

You could always get a flicker account as well, and then use the standard
[img][/img] tags with the url to your image within them.

Peter - I'll try and take some pics tonight after work.
Old 19th January 2010, 17:55
Enthusiast

Here we go:

They've been mounted so that the lobes on the back of the bumpers are 25mm away from the fiberglass of the nose cone.

Each side has been shimmed with ali, and an M8 stainless cap head holds it in. The other fixings are for the driving light brackets, which have been removed and are in the process of being painted.

When I rubbed down my filler patches on the tub, I managed to find some more voids that needed filling! There's a fair bit of the fiberglass based filler and some P38 around the reversing light recess now. Just hope it paints up OK...
Old 19th January 2010, 20:12
Enthusiast

Those bumpers look nice, I think Mark has done a good design job on them, meeting the new IVA spec without looking out of place.

You seem to be unlucky with your GRP tub, as I haven't seen that problem on mine. But maybe that's because I haven't rubbed any of it down?
I'm sure a good body shop will fill it and flatten it so it won't show when painted.

Got that IVA form filled in yet
Old 19th January 2010, 21:00
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
Got that IVA form filled in yet
I haven't even got the form yet! I guess I need to get one sent to me from the local DVLA office. That's where you get them from, right?
Old 19th January 2010, 21:54
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
I haven't even got the form yet! I guess I need to get one sent to me from the local DVLA office. That's where you get them from, right?
I got all my (SVA) forms from Swansea. They sent me a whole pack with instructions and all the forms you need. If you can get through to the right place there is a small department that deals with kit cars but I don't remember it being too difficult to get all the forms first.
Old 20th January 2010, 07:32

Yeah, you can get the forms OK from Swansea. Only problem I had was some jobsworth wasn't convinced I had built the car myself and more or accused me of having it built for me.
I had sent copies of the donor V5, invoices for the kit and a few build photos with the first application.
In the end I sent another pack in with EVERY photo I'd taken, and a letter from my wife saying I had spent 7 years in the garage and she would be really pleased to see me again.
Old 20th January 2010, 08:39
Enthusiast

I've just downloaded the Amateur Build Declaration and IVA Application (M1) forms, along with the guidance notes.

Just glancing through them here at work, I've noticed there's no where to declare what bits came from where. Is this on another form I need, or is it just when it comes to registering the car later on?
Old 20th January 2010, 10:21
Enthusiast

Other questions:

I was going on other figures posted here, and decided on axle 1 = 500Kg, axle 2 = 570Kg, total of 1070Kg. Seem reasonable? I know Peter put 600 down for the rear axle.

Top speed - I reckon she'll make .5 past lightspeed and do the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs. But what's the consenus on Sublight velocity?

Max Power @ RPM - I'm sure there's some figures in the Bently manual, but I also recall some debate on here about it. I just can't find the thread it was in! Can anyone remember so I can go and refresh my memory?
Old 20th January 2010, 11:31

DVLA are the ones that require the list of components, not VOSA, except to prove the age of the engine for the emissions test.

DLVA require the list so they can allocate an age related/ Q/new registration. Provided they know their own rules, as they didn't in my case and I had to argue for an are related plate.

If you don't know max power IVA will test your noise level at (if I remember correct) 2/3 of your max RPM.

Make sure your tyres are capable of doing your declared Max Speed. They don't test you max for the IVA (you would need a race track!). I stuck an arbitary 112 mph down as it was the max of the donor car.

Whats the sidewall letters for 0.5 lightspeed?
Old 20th January 2010, 11:36
Enthusiast

c+0.5
Old 20th January 2010, 12:05
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
I've just downloaded the Amateur Build Declaration and IVA Application (M1) forms, along with the guidance notes.

Just glancing through them here at work, I've noticed there's no where to declare what bits came from where. Is this on another form I need, or is it just when it comes to registering the car later on?
Jason

You should be OK with your car as it is a single source donor, so you will be able to prove the main components all came from the same source, (with the donor V5) and will be able to get an age related plate. Proving the age of your engine will be important with regard to not requiring a CAT.

Mike