Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 4th May 2011, 21:43
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

I think I've found the paint for Vikki - Jaguar Black Cherry Metallic:

It's black, but with a subtle red flake in it. When the sun catches it, it's a very, very dark red, but in all other lights it's black.

It looks great in the flesh - I stopped at the local Jag garage today to have a look.
Old 5th May 2011, 08:05
Enthusiast

Off to Normandale in Daventry today to get a quote on the paint. Here's hoping it's not too expensive.
Old 5th May 2011, 11:23
Enthusiast

jeremy is on a distinguished road
Default paint

That looks amazing-never seen it before.I will be thinking along paint lines soon I hope-Just put in my carpets yesterday-will try and put some pictures on later.
Old 5th May 2011, 11:27
Enthusiast

I'm just back from the bodyshop, and couldn't be more excited. as Simon pointed out when he got his cabrio done, they're a motorsport outfit, and as such are used to painting fibreglass & ali.

There was some interesting kit in there - historic LeMans Prototypes being spruced up, and what looked to me like a Bristol in a prep area undergoing a full bare metal resto.

Best of all was the back end of a Porsche 962 in Tic Tac livery. The chap who runs the place showed me it, and everything on it was painted. No decals. Awesome.

Looks like it's going to cost about £1500, and he'll collect and drop the parts off to me if I dismantle and re-assemble. I think I'm going to have to wait until after Le Mans this year as my weekends are packed for the rest of May... But I'm very very excited!!!

Actually, the best part of the trip was coming back via the B-roads, and getting caught in a village where the road narrows and a chaved out Corsa coming in the opposite direction had to wait for me to come through.

"Get a roof, you ****er" shouts the baseball cap'd twunt driving.

At which point I do the only natural thing - drop it down a cog and let Vikki have her head and leave them looking startled... She's very loud in confined spaces at high RPM.

Bwhahahaha!
Old 5th May 2011, 12:40
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

[

It's black, but with a subtle red flake in it. When the sun catches it, it's a very, very dark red, but in all other lights it's black.

[/QUOTE]

Goo

This just what I had in mind, but could not find it - I've always called it Aubergine: a really dark almost black colour with a hint of red.
There was a Cobra on the Dax stand at Stoneleigh which nearly has this look but not quite.

I shall have to visit the Jag showrooms - I think it looks great.
Mike

Last edited by Mike; 5th May 2011 at 12:51.. Reason: To add Cobra photo
Old 5th May 2011, 14:28
Enthusiast

I forgot to post these latest pics - I've fitted some new bits and bobs I picked up at Stoneliegh at the weekend:

Wind deflectors - Perspex for the time being, as I could buy ready shaped blanks without mounting holes, and drill my own to match the hinge positions. The hinges themselves are placed as far apart as possible considering the length of the windscreen post. You can see why it was neccessary to make the new windscreen knobs now, as the original black plastic ones wouldn't have allowed the deflector to sit where it is.

I'll see if I can get some toughened glass ones made up to the same shape as the perspex ones later on, as they can be used as templates.

Another bit of bling - a badge bar. I wanted it as I liked the MOC enamel badge, and wanted to mount it 'properly'. I then had to get something to balance it out, hence the vintage repro AA badge. I guess I better join now.

I think she looks splendid with her medals.
Old 5th May 2011, 16:41
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

So - do the deflectors make any difference? I haven't fitted mine yet but have the same ones.

Did you tap the windscreen supports for the screws? As I remember it's stainless - not easy stuff to work with.

Cheers

Robin
Old 5th May 2011, 17:59
Enthusiast

The wind deflectors work a bit. It cuts down buffeting from the front, but of course they're useless with side winds.

Yes, they are drilled and tapped. It was easier than I expected, but I guess that was down to my birthday present from Pauline - a new swanky tap and die set, that came with a set of the correct size tapping drills. They, along with the new taps where nice and sharp, and lots of cutting oil made short work of it.
Old 15th August 2011, 17:25
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Hi Goo

What's the latest on your paint job?

Mike
Old 15th August 2011, 20:21
Enthusiast

On hold at the moment. After the Jag blew a turbo earlier in the year, the paint piggy bank is dry.
Old 16th August 2011, 19:56
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Yeah, but you don't want to be taking the car off the road in the summertime
Old 17th August 2011, 06:28

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road

Tell me about taking your car off the road during the summer. I decided to do something about my oil burning engine a couple of months ago and haven't got back on the road since.
Cabrioman gave me a replacement engine, and I though I was going to be able to do a simple swap, but my old engine ran on carbs, and the new one was an efi model, and foolishly I've been trying to make one out of the two...
Old 26th August 2011, 22:22
Enthusiast

Vikki been given some new optional extras. Not machine guns and rocket launchers courtesy of Q (more's the pity), but nifty all the same:

http://www.greatoldone.co.uk/Gooster...ny_Boy....html

I've now got a DAB radio that plugs in as well. It's brilliant!
Old 26th August 2011, 22:29
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Sweet, really like the intercom setup
Old 27th August 2011, 15:46

denniswpearce is on a distinguished road

Interesting setup Jason.
A comment if I may be so bold that might be useful.
One of my hobbies is flying and I use headsets for aircraft communication. I notice with your Peltor headsets it would appear that you have foam filled pads which cover your ears. After about an hour they can become quite painful if the spring tension is reasonably strong in the head band. The solution in most headsets now is to have gel filled pads which mould to your individual ear shape. I can wear mine for many hours in total comfort. The pads can be changed retrospectively.

But a clever idea of yours, it would be pointless on mine as my exhaust is far too noisey. When I was at Stoneleigh this year I was amazed at how quiet all the Sportsters were. I will be content to look at the scenery.
Old 28th August 2011, 00:26

Sorton is on a distinguished road

Great technical detail Jason and I'm sure it will be good to use. However, I seem to remember that recently someone was prosecuted for wearing headphones whilst driving. Something about not being able to hear external sounds. I may be wrong but perhaps its worth checking.
Old 28th August 2011, 07:41
Enthusiast

hmmm - I can't see how it's any different to wearing a crash helmet, to be honest - but I'll check.
Old 28th August 2011, 11:00

Sorton is on a distinguished road

I agree and also rally crews use headphones between the stages. However, I'm sure I remember reading details of the case. Of course, with my memory at my age, it could all be complete b*****ks!!!
Old 6th November 2011, 14:44
Enthusiast

Here's what I've been up to recently at my engineering class - A random selection of parts and machine screws:

Put together becomes this:

Polished up:

But what is it? A completely over engineered replacement brake pipe stand off!

All this to do the same thing as a zip tie and a small length of fuel hose... Nuts.
Old 6th November 2011, 18:40
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

very nice, you got some extra rubber around the hole that holds hose? Without it might wear on the pipe a bit