Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 12th August 2015, 09:24

DSG4ME is on a distinguished road

Your car really looks great. It's well over 2 years since the project started, but as they say "The worst part of a project is waiting. The best part is having something worth waiting for".
Old 12th August 2015, 09:37

IanA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG4ME View Post
Y..."The worst part of a project is waiting. The best part is having something worth waiting for".
Very profound... they also say that "the first 80% of a project takes 80% of the time and the other 20% of the project takes the other 80% of the time".

That's why I found it most cost effective (in time and money) to have Chris and Dan do the body swap for my Z300S. Yes the total project drags on because I haven't had it painted yet but at least I can drive it every day.
Old 12th August 2015, 11:03

Kit 275GTB is on a distinguished road
Default Ferrari / Tribute badging

Geoff, if you want to go that way, you can get "F" or prancing horse badges for wheel hubs or body from many sources on Ebay (all of them illegal Chinese copies?). Alternatively, Chris and Dan, could you produce window stickers saying something like "250GTO/Z3 designed by Tribute Automotive" or a replacement roundel for the redundant tax pocket?
Old 13th August 2015, 18:51

smash is on a distinguished road

Looks brilliant - you must be very pleased!
Old 23rd August 2015, 19:15

casamolino is on a distinguished road

Evening , have in the last week purchased the following ,
Sound Deadening, Bonnet Pins and Rubber Channelling , OK not the most exciting items ,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1713545721...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3012376123...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1116859859...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Not quite sure why I bought 10m! , but it is a lot cheaper as its not marketed for cars .
Have installed the bonnet pins and the action feels spot on , if its not raining tomorrow then I will make a start on the channelling . Was at Tatton Park on Sat and met somebody (sorry can not remember your user name) who reads Madabout (Tribute Section) , and my only purchase was 2 Chrome racing style mirrors which are actually usable (using Convex glass) , cheers Geoff .
Old 23rd August 2015, 19:25

hurnleft is on a distinguished road

Hi Geoff,
It was good to speak to you the other day, I hope you're getting on well with the car. I'll be interested to know your opinion of the bonnet pins when fitted as it seemed you'd initially bought the same rubbish ones as I did.

I'd also like to know your opinion on the sound deadening stickiness when you fit some to the roof.

Cheers, Bob.
Old 24th August 2015, 16:36

Afternoon I have just reinstalled the AC fan (yesterday) , I reused the standard BMW fan but with the shroud removed , then tie wrapped the fan onto the bracket in the first photo , the second photo shows the position of my fan ,the fan was clear of the grill but was hit by the lower edge of the bonnet when it was closed , I ended up cutting out approx. 2cms from the lower edge of the bonnet , the third photo shows the cut out which is not to easy to see , this photo was taken with the bonnet in the open position , the fan and the air con are working , Geoff .

Old 24th August 2015, 16:51

y cymro is on a distinguished road

Afternoon Geoff.
This pull through tie kit may be a solution for attaching the fan to the radiator

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motors...hrough-tie-kit

Steve

Last edited by y cymro; 24th August 2015 at 16:54..
Old 25th August 2015, 07:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurnleft View Post
Hi Geoff,
It was good to speak to you the other day, I hope you're getting on well with the car. I'll be interested to know your opinion of the bonnet pins when fitted as it seemed you'd initially bought the same rubbish ones as I did.

I'd also like to know your opinion on the sound deadening stickiness when you fit some to the roof.

Cheers, Bob.
Morning Bob the bonnet pins are quality , although the area at the top that you press to release the pin is small and does take some pressure , saying that they do fix the bonnet firmly .
Ref the sound deadening it is not self adhesive so I bought a spray glue from the same company , this did not work very well so I`ve know tried a different spray glue from B&Q .
If anybody wants a couple of square metres of the sound deadening please get in touch , thanks Geoff .
Old 29th August 2015, 20:05

Good evening just before collecting my SWB from Chris I bought a set of E Type wires , the reason was if I did not like the look of my car with the Minilites I would have a plan B , well the Minilites look right to me so I am selling the Wires . There are 5 and I have had the tyres that were on them removed and donated to a car builder on Dorset! if any body on here wants them before they go on Ebay please message me , be aware of the rust and condition as per the photos , after £90 for the 5 , thanks Geoff .

Old 31st August 2015, 21:56

ericholm is on a distinguished road

Hi I'm watching progress with interest, I tried the fan adjustments at front, as showed in your pictures and also trimmed 2cm from bottom of section as it would be behind the no plate. It still doesn't fit.....grrrr. So maybe I have a slightly longer car, will see if land rover smaller fan will bebetter. Cheers
Old 1st September 2015, 18:04

mobilerobbie is on a distinguished road

it should fit, and i must say, i do not like to use tiewraps....
Does not sound/look good....
I used the Original brackets for the powersteering cooler and normal fittings also on the fan....
In my opinion it does not look professional to use ties....
Old 1st September 2015, 18:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericholm View Post
Hi I'm watching progress with interest, I tried the fan adjustments at front, as showed in your pictures and also trimmed 2cm from bottom of section as it would be behind the no plate. It still doesn't fit.....grrrr. So maybe I have a slightly longer car, will see if land rover smaller fan will bebetter. Cheers
Evening Eric ref the AC fan it is certainly a tight fit , my fan is tight up against the rad but there is clearance (just) , is there adjustment to allow the bonnet to sit slightly further forward? your car is looking good , cheers Geoff .
Old 1st September 2015, 18:27

Plastic Porsche is on a distinguished road

Thanks for posting the details of the slots in the vents

The details take forever, I have spent about 6 full days re shaping the back section to make it symmetrical around the hood and creating a decent lip for the boot seal which has a channel for the water to rundown when fitted, I may still need a couple of days to reform the lower edge at the bottom so that the tub is not stressed when fitted due to the bottom left hand mounting glassfibre being twisted.

It does however fit perfectly now and I don't have the issue Nubodi had with the sill or door bonnet gaps

My AC fan has the grill removed and is mounted as per the z3 with no issues, I took more than 2 centimetres off the lip though

WIN_20150901_181351.jpg

WIN_20150901_181409.jpg

WIN_20150901_181243.jpg
Old 2nd September 2015, 09:11

Default wire wheels

Hi Geoff,
I would love to fit wire wheels on the 275GTB/Z3 that I am working on but I have no idea about adapter plates. Did you have something in mind already?
George
Old 2nd September 2015, 10:24

Good morning George , there is a company in the West Midlands (Orson Equipment) who can supply everything you need http://www.orsonequipment.co.uk/spli..._adaptors.html , I did visit them and actually placed an order but then decided that with the hub adaptor the track would be to wide! from memory WCA bought his from them , you may want to speak to Nick(WCA) for his opinion , the wires do look good but I am more than happy with the Minilites .
I also have a set (Driver/Passenger) glass (rare item)from a Z3 coupe which has a different shape at the rear if your interested? all the best with your build , Geoff .
Old 2nd September 2015, 19:04

Default Z3 Side glass

Hi Geoff,
Thanks for the offer of the Z3 Coupe glass but close inspection of photos shows that the it has a top edge which rises to the rear and it would not fit under my 275 roof line. It made me think, however, and I am now looking at putting an extra piece of perspex to the rear of the side window to fill up the space to the 275 window opening. It would need some kind of rubber or clear silicone trim to make it wind proof. They do it with the soft top so it must be possible.
George
Old 4th September 2015, 18:58

Good evening new door cards made and fitted to door temporarily with tec bolts to check positioning ,

Also made and fitted a new rear parcel shelf mainly out of 9mm ply , will know use 6mm ply covered with vinyl to finish ,

as you can probably tell I am not a Joiner/Carpenter but until you try! Geoff .
Old 4th September 2015, 19:03

hurnleft is on a distinguished road

Looks good Geoff. I will be going along similar lines.

I've found the space in the bottom of the door so useful that I'll work some sort of glove box into the door trim.

Cheers, Bob.
Old 9th September 2015, 14:23

wasz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by casamolino View Post
This car is beautiful. I'm amazed at what was achieved in a dusty workshop with some rotten bits of wood, glassfibre and an old BMW and a large dollop of skill and craftmanship.

One thing that seems missing is I would like to see is this car with a chrome trim around the windscreen and rear screen, I think that would finish the exterior perfectly. None of the builds so far have this and it seems missing to me.