Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 25th July 2012, 16:59

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road
Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Don't act too hastily, methinks there may be a part built Sammio going on ebay from an unhappy chap soon...
What on Earth makes you think that.......
Old 25th July 2012, 17:17

GazDavies is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Don't act too hastily, methinks there may be a part built Sammio going on ebay from an unhappy chap soon...
I see what you did there!
Old 25th July 2012, 17:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BazMason View Post
Get it finished pronto then matey!!! (and drive it up to Scotland to show me )
The plan is to have it ready by Exeter kit car show at the end of October although obviously the sooner its finished, the better.
Old 25th July 2012, 20:16

Nike55 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazDavies View Post
I have now removed the Spyder from eBay as I have agreed a deal with Patoune for his unfinished G46 that is in Poole with Gary.
So that's one less Spyder in the UK to clog up the G46's air filter..

'Orca' has square wheel arches doesn't it, are you going to keep them???

(He asked knowingly)
Old 25th July 2012, 20:22

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

A finished G46 you say? Well, I seen a elephant fly...
Old 26th July 2012, 09:05

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The plan is to have it ready by Exeter kit car show at the end of October although obviously the sooner its finished, the better.
A "finished" G46! That's cheered me up no end this morning

Gaz, if you are going to come down to the Exeter show then let me know as you'll be driving right past my place on the way down and it would be nice to go down in convoy!
Old 2nd August 2012, 08:02

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

ANY MORE TO SAY ? I know I could talk for hours about it....

We have achieved higher prices than that , so have our customers...

For most people building their cars , its not about the achievable price , the experience and satisfaction of creating your own little gem , in my opinion , is priceless and most builders aren't thinking about the retail value ....
Old 2nd August 2012, 08:36

Micha, thank you very much for your deep, informative input. Im sure that I'm not the only person that looks forward to your posts, you seem to be able to spread joy and good feelings all around.

If the latest sale has gone for £5000 then it is the lowest price a finished Sammio has sold for so far. You wouldnt be the same micha that contacted me telling me that my Sammio Spyder was way over priced and that you have seen them sell for much, much less and could I take an offer around £3000? If not I will tell you the same thing that I told him. If you can find one for sale at that price then buy it, as my car would not be sold for less than double that price.
Old 2nd August 2012, 08:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
ANY MORE TO SAY ? I know I could talk for hours about it....

We have achieved higher prices than that , so have our customers...

For most people building their cars , its not about the achievable price , the experience and satisfaction of creating your own little gem , in my opinion , is priceless and most builders aren't thinking about the retail value ....
I absolutely agree. I'm not sure where the £16k estimate for building Mulberry's Spyder came from either. I've replaced almost everything with new parts on mine and will have spent about £4,500 when it's finished. It helps that I got almost every penny of the £845 I paid for the donor back from unwanted parts sales, which allowed at least one Herald to live again that would otherwise have gone to the scrappy, sorry, Earth's limited resources recycling facility.

Don't forget there's a recession gripping the type of people who typically aspire to own such cars too. As an example of how that can affect prices, we found a bungalow we liked in February this year so we put our house on the market. Two weeks later a similar property on our road was reposessed and the lender put it up for sale for sixty thousand less than we were asking for ours - a four bed detached house for the price of a two bed semi. Not only did we not get any interest in ours, but that one still hasn't sold either.

The trick is, build a Sammio because you want to. Not because you think you might make a buck.
Old 2nd August 2012, 09:41

mulberry is on a distinguished road

At present my sammio is still with me, a offer has been made but untill the german chap comes up with the money then the car hasn`t been sold. the 15k is realistic build value, if you had a car of this standard built in professional workshop . mister towed just add up your hours of build and even if you priced it at £10hr you would be shocked at the final price..

my build wasnt to make money, and its shame the car has to be sold.
Old 2nd August 2012, 11:36

Ahh, I didn't realise an estimate for the labour cost was included. Mine owes me about half a million then.
Old 2nd August 2012, 11:39

Double your hourly rate and you can own a "million pound car".
Old 2nd August 2012, 19:35

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You wouldnt be the same micha that contacted me telling me that my Sammio Spyder was way over priced and that you have seen them sell for much, much less and could I take an offer around £3000?

Aaah , I see that Micha has a vested interest in low priced Sammio's !!

I know a man locally who can build you a three grand Sammio .....he's just finishing one of his superb coffee tables and then he's free.....

Seriously though , everyone is entitled to their opinion , we all have values in our mind for certain things , I follow the Classic American scene with interest and some of the valuations people put on very average cars just baffle me ...

If you strongly believe the value you put on the Sammio Spyders , thats cool , just holds on in there and you never know , one might come up in that range........
Old 3rd August 2012, 08:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by micha View Post
thats maybe the reason why not many sammio´s profit from an "expensive" body off restoration, rather than a quick re-body on a minimum financial budget with only 1 major focus "passing the mot"..
I'm sorry matey but knowing exactly how involved and expensive a Sammio build is (as i've done one) and especially when compared to what the average classic car owner will do on a 'rebuild' then i'm going to call cobblers on your comment. As even if you just look through all the build threads on this forum they don't seem back up your opinion.

While I will obviously agree that there are builders who do go the "quick-n-easy" route and just do the rebody (i'd personally intended on going that route myself before getting sucked-in to the rebuild) , the vast majority of people also seem to "get the bug" during their builds and end up being not far off complete nut-n-bolt restorations and you can't get more expensive than that. Just don't tell me wife!

Obviously i'm biased as i've been through this process and so I'm a bit defensive (i.e. this response isn't a personal dig at you, I'm not like that!!) I just know from first hand experience how involved a Sammo build is and from all the info on this forum and having personally met and talked-to quite a few other builders/owners, i'd say that in the large their experiences back me up.

Pat excluded, of course
Old 3rd August 2012, 09:33

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road

I think anyone who has built, driven or even Seen a Sammio for real will be deeply offended at the idea that the major objective is to 'pass the MoT'
Old 3rd August 2012, 14:36

My major inspiration for finally building myself a fifties (style) sports racing car was watching TV celebrity chef James Martin in 'The Real Italian Job'.

For those who haven't seen it, he buys an old Maserati racer and pays the pros to restore it for him - I believe the engine rebuild alone cost £200k.

He then pays a racing driver to drive it for him and enters the classic Mille Miglia with the intention of selling the car on for a substantial profit once it finishes the race.

Half way round the first stage his rebuilt engine drops a valve, and, after an investment of just shy of a million quid, he has to withdraw from the race. By way of a 'thank you' to his driver he buys her an extremely expensive book about the racing Maseratis, where he discovers that in every race his model ever entered they failed to finish due to dropped valves...

So I thought to myself, 'I bet I could have more fun than James on a fraction of his budget'. And even though I have'nt finished my car yet, I already have.
Old 5th August 2012, 20:59

Just to put Sammio prices into perspective, this is what I'd intended to build but couldn't justify the budget -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3209556372...84.m1423.l2649

Add: the price of a beetle; £3k to build an engine with as much power as my Vitesse lump; £650 for a screen and frame; £600 for replica lights; £500 for replica trim and badges; ££££ to get it through the IVA; etc. Bye Bye £15k

I'm so glad Gary came along when he did...
Old 5th August 2012, 21:29

I love the Chesil Speedster and I'd coveted one for a while. However, what I have never liked about replicas is that they are just that. When somebody asks, "What is it?", you have to respond with, "It's a replica of....". With the Sammio, it's a true Special. It's inspired by a D24, but it's still a special. And it doesn't cost £15k.

Last edited by oxford1360; 6th August 2012 at 08:44..
Old 6th August 2012, 10:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by micha View Post
how many kitcars are sold for a bargain price, soon after the first 1 or 2years driving. 6-8k return from a 15-18k investment. its a shame but its the reality.
How many new cars are sold for a bargain price, soon after the first 1 or 2 years driving? £6-8k return from a £15-18k investment. It's a shame but it's the reality.
Old 6th August 2012, 10:50

Play nicely, or I'll take the ball and no one will be able to play with it!!