Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 5th December 2012, 13:55

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road

That's Ribble as in the LANCASHIRE River (Next to the unit....)

There are other good reasons for the name changes. For those already following them, they will know the history and those who aren't already there, it won't make a difference. it's up to the builder to name the car on the change to the V5 and we've seen variations on that already. After all, 'what's in a name'
Old 5th December 2012, 14:49

froggyman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyP57 View Post
After all, 'what's in a name'
If that is what you think, why change it when the name is already well known throughout the kit industry and followers!!! Advertising is expensive and word of mouth takes time.
Old 5th December 2012, 14:51

The name isn't so important to the builder as I said but there are very good reasons why it had to be changed.
Old 5th December 2012, 14:54

garyh is on a distinguished road

Ribble Pilot... You know, the old Sammio Spyder! Do they still make them? the gentleman replies.
Old 5th December 2012, 15:05

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

You'll have to get JG to change the name of the forum....or create a new one..
Old 5th December 2012, 15:25

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The name isn't so important to the builder as I said but there are very good reasons why it had to be changed.
I agree wholeheartedly. When all the filler and paint has dried and the skinned knuckles have healed, I will own a Triumph with a new body. I hadn't dreamt of owning a "Sammio". I wanted to build a great looking car. Gary allowed me to do that by selling me one of the many parts that I needed. One of the things that we all like is the fact that a Sammio wasn't a kit or a complete car.

With Andy taking the company in a new direction and developing the products, I think it makes complete sense to bring a new identity. Of course there is risk attached, but if there weren't, life would be a bit boring.
Old 5th December 2012, 15:26

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Maybe you could make a hardtop version of the Ribble Pilot and the open version could be called the cabrio, no wait, call it the Spyder!

;-)
Old 5th December 2012, 15:32

Risk can also be fun. Going against the 'experts' is too. When I briefly ran the concept behind the next projects (No I'm not going to publish a spoiler. You'll have to wait) the greybeards from the press were somewhat perplexed.. 'Why would you want to do that' (Translated 'But that won't look like a Lotus 7') but it ain't stopping us. Both Gaz and I want one and that's enough of a reason to have a go. If others join in the fun then Bonus
Old 5th December 2012, 15:34

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Just because it isn't the easiest way, it doesn't mean it is wrong.

Good luck and I hope it all succeeds
Old 5th December 2012, 16:55

seanick is on a distinguished road

Quote:

After all, 'what's in a name'
About a million hits via Google. thats whats in the name.

I was recently sourcing some veneers. The company I had used for 20+ years phone no longer answered.
After a few hours over a few days of talking to the wrong people who had the wrong prices I finally found a company who talked sense.

As a parting shot I mentioned where I used to get my veneers from. "oh, we bought that company when he retired" he said.

Well why didn't you keep the same name, said I. Its in every search engine, directory, and yellow pages. Your company was on the forth page of Google.

He said.....um

Momentum..........
Old 5th December 2012, 18:18

HouseMartin is on a distinguished road
Default G46?

So will there only ever be six G46's Gaz?
and they will all be different.

I was considering a changing the v5 from
Reliant Scimitar GTE to
Reliant Scimitar G46 or
Reliant Sammio G46

But it may now have to be a Ribble Scimitar GAZ

As you are moving to Wigan you should call the company Douglas after the river that flows through Wigan

Douglas dragonfly
Douglas dolphin
Douglas dodo

But good luck to you, I worked for a company that went into administration and the managers bought the company. They spent a lot of time changed and promoting the new name and released lots of new products, but they took their eye off the the old products, the ones that made the money and customers still wanted. It didn't last more than a couple of years as they ran out of cash.

You might want to consider keeping the sammio spyder as a product running in parallel with your new products line until you have established a good number of orders for your new improved kits.

Most potential customers like to see that there are other completed kits about. Look at cobra and sevens.

Good Luck make it a success

HM
Old 5th December 2012, 19:13

I've deliberately not brought up any renaming of the G46 in my previous post as it hasn't come up in our conversation. I know Gaz isn't actively pushing the marque until he has a running demonstrator so I'm sure when the time comes he'll announce the plan.
Old 5th December 2012, 19:47

mikmiglia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanick View Post
Is that Ribble as in the Yorkshire river?? Sounds a bit wet to me.
Mind you ribble sounds like rubble....and rubble is a bit rough.

To be honest............stick with Spyder and Cordite. Good names and well known.

Anyone following these cars knows the car has changed hands, and as long as the revised product is as you hope it will be, sales will not be a problem.
Whatever you do, it will have to be quick or the momentum and following that Gary and Mike built will be lost........

Old 5th December 2012, 22:12

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMartin View Post
So will there only ever be six G46's Gaz?
and they will all be different.

I was considering a changing the v5 from
Reliant Scimitar GTE to
Reliant Scimitar G46 or
Reliant Sammio G46

But it may now have to be a Ribble Scimitar GAZ

As you are moving to Wigan you should call the company Douglas after the river that flows through Wigan

Douglas dragonfly
Douglas dolphin
Douglas dodo

But good luck to you, I worked for a company that went into administration and the managers bought the company. They spent a lot of time changed and promoting the new name and released lots of new products, but they took their eye off the the old products, the ones that made the money and customers still wanted. It didn't last more than a couple of years as they ran out of cash.

You might want to consider keeping the sammio spyder as a product running in parallel with your new products line until you have established a good number of orders for your new improved kits.

Most potential customers like to see that there are other completed kits about. Look at cobra and sevens.

Good Luck make it a success

HM
HM

Feel less guilty about registering ours with no reference to Sammio in a way there were never any completed Sammio G46 cars so all the g46 cars being built are unique.

It's either going to Be a "charmarati" or a "charmarini" which ever it will have G46 V8 MK1 as a suffix

as you say there are only a hand full and they will all be distinctly different but they will have Garry's DNA.
Old 6th December 2012, 07:47

garyh is on a distinguished road

Did he christen each kit...
Old 6th December 2012, 09:52

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

Ah, so that's what Gary meant when he asked whether you wanted "one hump or two"?
Old 6th December 2012, 16:33

Nike55 is on a distinguished road

Although saddened by the circumstances that have led to the change of ownership, I do wish you well with the relaunch.

Unfortunately if someone mentioned the name 'Ribble Pilot' or 'Ribble Navigator' to me I would automatically think of fibre glass boats... or the Ribble Pilot pub in Preston, but certainly not Algy or Ginger in 1950's styled sports cars ...

In addition the names seem to engender visions of flat caps, whippets and woodbines - very nostalgic but probably not the image being aimed for!

That's my wibble wobble over.
Old 6th December 2012, 17:59

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
... but there are very good reasons why it had to be changed...
Hi Andy & Gaz,

Based on this comment, I assume there is something else going on behind the scenes.
In which case, if the name has got to change, it has got to change and so be it.

Although it is not clear whether you are referring to just "Sammio" or "Sammio Spyder", etc.
In which case, is there any chance of the names changing to "Ribble Spyder" & "Ribble Cordite"?
I think that might provide a suitable link between the new Ribble venture and its Sammio origins.

You've clearly put a lot of thought into the future kit packages & it all sounds good to me.
If it was possible for the new door arrangements to have frame mounted hinges, even better.

My only words of caution would be around the risks associated with expanding the range too quickly.
Gary himself has admitted the Sammio business grew too fast for him to keep on top of everything.

Good luck, Paul.

PS
I'm still working on some ideas for your website, so I'll PM you separately about that.
Old 18th December 2012, 10:29

mas123mas is on a distinguished road

Any news on the new website?
Old 24th December 2012, 19:41

To all past Sammio customers, future Ribble customers and interested parties of all ages may I extend all the very best wishes for the Xmas holidays and may your garage remain warm and busy through the New Year.
Cheers All. I look forward meeting more of you soon.