Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Dino 246 Builds and Discussion

Dino 246 Builds and Discussion Da da da da daaa daa da da, ohoho Dino

Old 17th October 2018, 20:51

tonyvan is on a distinguished road
Default Dino 246 Rebuild update

Due to unforeseen circumstances the Dino has to be put on hold. Just started to work on her again,fitting New and referbed parts and will have her ready soon, but don’t plan to put her on the road until late March 2019. Below are a few pics of the changes. Lots of stuff done that can’t be seen though.

Last edited by tonyvan; 18th October 2018 at 14:20..
Available from eBay
Old 18th October 2018, 04:24

rockford is on a distinguished road

Hello Tony, I'm new here to the forum and came upon your car.

I am a fan of the Dino 246, and would like to know more about your build.

I'm in Ontario, Canada, were are you located?

Where did you find your car / kit?

I am looking for a project so any help you can provide is appreciated.

Regards
Old 18th October 2018, 18:32

hi Rockford, I picked up the Dino late 2016, It was a running car,decent paint, but needed a few bits doing to it like swapping the wheels out for Cromadoras,redo the headlining and rechroming the bumpers and trim, and just referb and replace items that i felt needed replacing,but due to work commitments,and not having enough room for 2 cars and a bike i was unable to do much of the work myself,so i sent it to a garage who were going to work on it "as and when",to get it ready for the summer of 2017..... this never materialized as they messed me around big time,especially with the wheel hubs, so i took the car back late 2017 and had no choice but to store the car until i could move somewhere with a big enough garage to keep all my toys in,and have the room to do the work myself. Aug this year that happened and i started out to get the car done.Modified/changed the pedal position and improve the lack of foot space.Sorted out the rear hubs myself and wished i had done the fronts but hey u live and learn.There isnt much left to do, just to refit the chrome bumpers and chrome trim, hubcaps, new HT leads etc. but it wont go on the road now until late March 2019.As with these things,you start out and then find more and more things to change and sort out. Ive been a bit OCD and changed all nuts & bolts to stainless steel and every jubilee clip changed to stainless, so u can see im being a bit anal !!!! Engine wise i decided to stay with the twin cam as looking into swapping it for the alfa v6 was just going to be a real pain. Luckly i purchased another good race spec engine with high comp pistons, high lift cams and ported and polished race head, good for around 180bhp sucking from the twin 45 downdrafts mated to a custom stainless steel exhaust.The sounds is pretty sweet actually. Although its taken longer than i hoped, im pretty happy how its turned out. Budget wise, i am actually under budget even though ive bought lots of new items,instead of referbing them. Only bitter pill was the front hubs which cost me 3 times more to get made than the rears, even though my design of the rears will work on the front, it was too late, the garage tried to over engineer and complicate something that actually was an easy modification to get made in the end. Hey Ho..
The pics dont really do it justice so i hope to get to stoneleigh 2019,and enjoy driving it around. Hope this helps you.?
Old 21st October 2018, 03:27

rockford is on a distinguished road

Hi Tony, sounds very nice and the photos are not bad at all, you can see the direction potential. None of this comes without a significant investment of time & effort... not to mention money.

I'm still in the process of my research and appreciate your taking the time to share your build ideas with me.

Can you give me an idea of what a car like yours would cost if offered for sale?

Thanks again, enjoy the process.
Old 21st October 2018, 08:27

Hi, sharing info is no problem, and ur right these things become a labour of love and the costs and time spent on them can sky rocket. We make mistakes along the way but learn from our experiences. As to a cost....... It depends on a lot of things, which particular make u have ur heart set on, the accuracy of build etc etc. I’ve seenr prices vary considerably. I feel ur pain as to wanting to know how much it would cost. U need to do ur research. I didn’t want a Mr2 conversion or a rebodied one. I set my heart on a deon, and I was able to find one pretty quickly although It did take me 8 months to finally get the deal done. Prices look like they are climbing on all cars, so to get a true bargain now days is pretty rare.Gt40s and cobra replicas are going through the roof if u find a good replica, and the same applies to the Dino, I’ve seen prices range from £10.000 on e.bay at the moment and I’ve seen 2 others one going for 40k plus and the other 39k. Just seen a maribue up for an eye watering 60k plus!!As the originals climb in price the replicas seem to also. Obviously u can try get a part built one which will be a lot cheaper, and u can tailor it to how u want it. There was a part built deon on e.bay recently, not sure if it’s still around or for sale.i don’t know the laws on importing something like that into Canada etc. Keep hunting one may surface.

Last edited by tonyvan; 21st October 2018 at 08:31..
Old 21st October 2018, 11:29

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

There was a very nice Deon on eBay a few of weeks ago, MOT'd on the road and correctly registered for £14k or best offer. Very tempted but it was sold in just a few hours.
Old 21st October 2018, 14:51

I didn’t see that one, was it s GTS model?
Old 21st October 2018, 16:24

Hardtop with Lancia engine, looked very nice.
Old 21st October 2018, 16:48

Strange as I didn’t see that one. Do U have a link to it? There was one advertised recently but was a fraudulent sale. Been a lot iof them on E.bay lately
Old 21st October 2018, 18:08

eBay are playing silly buggers again, when an item finishes it can be impossible to find it again as they show you something similar instead. Very frustrating.
Old 22nd October 2018, 08:24

NeilF355 is on a distinguished road

I just happened to have that car in my ebay watch list so even though it has ended I can still get to it.
Here you are : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ferrari-D...rdt=true&rt=nc
Old 22nd October 2018, 08:40

That's the one, Was £14,500 or best offer. Thought it was very good value.
Old 22nd October 2018, 20:55

Yes looked ok. Bumpers look like repos without the rubbers,that let it down a bit. Single wiper. Would have been nice to see the engine bay. Good Project to make a bit more authentic looking.but reasonable priced car though.

Last edited by tonyvan; 22nd October 2018 at 21:17..