Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 16th March 2017, 22:39

luked2189 is on a distinguished road

great work and great updates. carry on
Old 17th March 2017, 05:38

SwiftyDS is on a distinguished road

Thanks Luke
Old 17th March 2017, 21:19

Nostromo is on a distinguished road

I so badly wanna get out and do something to mine!! All I've done recently is order some tyres for the front and painted some blue bits black. Yours is looking great mate. How does it sound with the new exhaust?
Old 18th March 2017, 06:42

I know what you mean Nostromo - it is difficult to find time. They say projects like this are never finished but I've also deliberately not set myself a completion date/timeframe and just trying to fit jobs in when I get a spare couple of hours.

Exhaust sounds great - wouldn't say it's mega loud but it's definitely louder in a good way than the stock exhaust. With the induction kit it seems to rev easier but that might be more mind over matter on my part!
Old 20th March 2017, 19:48

wozzy is on a distinguished road

QUOTE=SwiftyDS;86859]I know what you mean Nostromo - it is difficult to find time. They say projects like this are never finished but I've also deliberately not set myself a completion date/timeframe and just trying to fit jobs in when I get a spare couple of hours.

How true that is haha
I started this one 7 years ago
haha
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG]
[/IMG]

It will be finished one day
Old 21st March 2017, 08:13

That looks great - proper old skool!
Old 21st March 2017, 15:43

zagmad is on a distinguished road

Like the rear arches. Would look good on my build in a extreme race version. Seen some with rear boot spoiler and front splitter.
Old 6th June 2017, 11:05

Can't believe it's approaching 3 months since my last update - apologies for the gap but work has been progressing, just lots of finishing off needed to certain areas that I wanted to sort before posting.

First off I cut the MR2 doors down - wow, I was told this was one of the hardest parts of the build but still hadn't managed my own expectations of how long this would take. I haven't posted any pictures of the doors themselves but if anyone wants to see where the cuts are just let me know and I'll add some pics. Trickiest part was in the B pillar area where I ended up cutting more metal than I expected and spent a lot of time digging out the resin/GRP in the pocket on the trailing edge of the MRS200 door skin itself. Retro200 told me this was an area that would need working on as Tribute hand mould this when the panels are laid. Some adjustment of the metalwork left around the old lock/handle area and the drivers door is pretty much spot on. I've fitted the Sierra door handle and linked this up to the MR2 door handle mechanism.

You will see from the picture that the bottom edge of the door has quite a gap so I have some UPVC cladding that I've cut a strip off that will be glassed to the bottom edge of the door and filled. I still need to build in some additional support in the door itself at the lower edge before bonding given the lower edge of the MR2 door has been cut away.

Repeat of the above on the passenger side as well which is back and fitted.

I then focused on the front bumper/bonnet. The bumper support bar was lowered c. 25mm as it sits to high as it comes with the kit. I still think it's sitting too high so plan to lower it another 10mm. Bumper has been fitted with support brackets in the wheel arch area as well, and appetures cut out, indicators and Hella 1000 lights fitted. Passenger side light is sitting a bit too high in the pictures here.

I decided to try and go for a more authentic look with the headlights and bought a pair of headlamp panels from the Evo RS200 kit. The light appetures in the bonnet panel were extended out to fit these and next job is to glass in threaded bars under the bonnet to mount the Golf MK2 light units (thanks Retro200 for this) and then bond in the headlamp panels. Once I've done this and lowered the bumper support bar I'll attach the bonnet hinges and locking bonnet pins.

I had a couple of weeks where there wasn't much chance to spend more than 30 - 40 mins on the car at a time so spent a bit of time dressing up the engine bay (Ford stickers and a Ford RS200 plate that nicely covers the Toyota emblem on the engine cover) and making an RS200 panel to cover the Midship Runabout panel in the frunk.

Final area I'm still working on is the rear clam. All appetures have been cut out and I decided to leave some fibreglass around the edge which will be painted black (just mocked up in the picture below to get the gaps right). I've made a set of grills that will be fitted flush and are edged in thin rubber trim - you can see one trial fitted in the picture here. I also managed to source a decent set of original RS Cosworth 3 door rear lights with bulb holders and gaskets for £50 so bit the bullet and have fitted these rather than the smoked Sierra Saphire units. I still need to fill in the area around the number plate panel which has a gap now I'm using the original units and the main area of filling needed which is in the wing areas each side.

Last edited by SwiftyDS; 25th October 2018 at 15:03..
Old 6th June 2017, 12:55

retro200 is on a distinguished road
Default mrs 200

nice to see your making progress dave, its looking good, keep up the good work, reminds me of my build each step gives you a bit more enthusiasm to get to the next bit ,keep chipping away at it that will look good when its finished , i did the same with the spare wheel cover and rocker cover those red "rs200" decals dont arf come in handy.
Old 6th June 2017, 17:01

You've really done an awesome job there Swifty! Looks great regardless of work that still needs doing. Can I request some additional photos of the doors please? Am so close to finishing off the house now, I can hear the MRS200 calling to me to get on with it! On the rear of the roof intake, I see you've left a section of the fiberglass, I assume for a bit of extra rigidity or just for the look?
Old 6th June 2017, 19:14

Default mrs 200 roof rear vent

i left a section in the roof vent as well about 3 inches wide ,it helps tie that area to the top of the rear window surround it will become very weak without it i painted it white but everytime i look at it i think it needs to be black to match the mesh in the grills also it wont be as noticable

Last edited by retro200; 6th June 2017 at 19:15.. Reason: crap spelling
Old 6th June 2017, 20:23

Yep I left this section for rigidity. The edges need tidying up all round particularly in that vent area but I'd planned to have it painted black to try to blend it in.

I've also contemplated making a dummy intercooler to go in the roof area behind it but I think that is getting a bit silly!

Thanks for the kind words and feedback from you both - will post more door pics tomorrow.
Old 6th June 2017, 20:43

Default mrs 200 dummy intercooler

ha ha seems two great minds think alike thats exactly what ive done made a dummy intercooler out of ally sheet and some ally channel section front and back to resrmble the core looks good thru the black mesh
Old 11th June 2017, 09:33

Swifty, can I ask how much the headlight surrounds from the Evo kit set you back? They look like a good option for getting the hole the right shape.
Old 11th June 2017, 14:32

Headlamp surrounds were £50 plus VAT plus postage for the pair and you need to cut out the hole for headlamp itself in the back of the surround.

Sorry I've not posted the door pics yet ~ will get round to it asap.

Reto200 you've got me thinking again now about the dummy intercooler!
Old 11th June 2017, 15:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftyDS View Post
Headlamp surrounds were £50 plus VAT plus postage for the pair and you need to cut out the hole for headlamp itself in the back of the surround.

Sorry I've not posted the door pics yet ~ will get round to it asap.

Reto200 you've got me thinking again now about the dummy intercooler!
Wow, that's a really good price! I was expecting a couple of hundred given the price of the rest of the kit. Direct from evo200.com?
Old 11th June 2017, 15:55

Yes I just emailed Bill at salesdesk@ev200.com to get a price with VAT and postage.
Old 11th June 2017, 15:55

Sorry that should have been @evo200.com
Old 12th June 2017, 07:45

Default mrs 200 headlight surrounds

the headlight surrounds look good dave , how well do they fit to the bonnet curves on the outside ? bearing in mind the bonnet is from tribute and the surrounds are for a evo 200, will they need any alterations to get them to sit right on the bonnet ??
Old 12th June 2017, 07:50

Default mrs 200 headlight surrounds

the headlight surrounds look good dave , how well do they fit to the bonnet curves on the outside ? bearing in mind the bonnet is from tribute and the surrounds are for a evo 200, will they need any alterations to get them to sit right on the bonnet ?? ps i also fitted a ally sheet under my "dummy intercooler to block off the area between the "ears" and front / rear roof vents to direct the air flow straight through the top roof section