Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 27th March 2017, 18:14

Drummajor is on a distinguished road
Default Mx5 retro fit power steering

Right then, I think it's time to fit power steering in my mx250
It's a uk mk1 1.8 and in my haste a bought it without power steering .
I have checked the engine and I have the pulley on the crank and the electrical conection.
As far as I know, buy the parts and fit. Is it that easy ?
Any body heard anything else about it?
Available from eBay
Old 28th March 2017, 10:24

Well, I've done it. Parts ordered. May even do I build thread too.
Watch this space
Old 28th March 2017, 18:09

landmannnn is on a distinguished road

On the MX5nutz forum there are plenty of people doing the opposite, even to the point of the detail on how to mod the ps rack to reduce resistance. Could have done a swap...
Old 28th March 2017, 18:26

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Agreed, light power steering doesn't make for much feel in a sports car, unless you spend the whole time driving around town you don't really need it.
Old 28th March 2017, 20:46

aofb is on a distinguished road

I'd have thought plug and play - assuming it's a fairly ordinary pump and rack arrangement and hasn't got any Citroen-esque hydraulic extras (extra valves for load varying) on the circuit.

As an aside, why would anyone want to mod a PAS rack? Can you not just replace it with a non PAS part and remove the piping and pump - then if you're screaming for it only some of the time, shove on an ePAS column from a Corsa or similar
Old 29th March 2017, 07:22

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Just a thought, I take it you're all aware that the power steering and manual steering racks have different ratios? The manual rack is 3.3 turns lock to lock and the p/s rack is 2.8.

I had a 1.8 mk1 non p/s MX5 about a dozen years ago and the steering felt very sluggish which was a disappointment after all the fantastic reviews it had in the press when it was first introduced.

I put that down to journalistic hype - road testers bigging up a mediocre car just because it was the only affordable rwd sports car on sale when it was released, but I recently read or watched (can't remember which) an article about choosing an MX5 as a modern classic and it said to avoid the manual steering car for that very reason, that the p/s rack was far more positive and involving to drive.

If you're going down the retro-fit power steering route because your steering is too heavy with fatter wheels you could try changing the front end geometry first: add a bit more toe-out and the steering will lighten up at speed and give more positive turn in.

Anyway, good luck sorting your steering out one way or another.
Old 29th March 2017, 08:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Just a thought, I take it you're all aware that the power steering and manual steering racks have different ratios? The manual rack is 3.3 turns lock to lock and the p/s rack is 2.8.

I had a 1.8 mk1 non p/s MX5 about a dozen years ago and the steering felt very sluggish which was a disappointment after all the fantastic reviews it had in the press when it was first introduced.

I put that down to journalistic hype - road testers bigging up a mediocre car just because it was the only affordable rwd sports car on sale when it was released, but I recently read or watched (can't remember which) an article about choosing an MX5 as a modern classic and it said to avoid the manual steering car for that very reason, that the p/s rack was far more positive and involving to drive.

If you're going down the retro-fit power steering route because your steering is too heavy with fatter wheels you could try changing the front end geometry first: add a bit more toe-out and the steering will lighten up at speed and give more positive turn in.

Anyway, good luck sorting your steering out one way or another.
Thanks , doing the pas route.
After driving my sons around with pas it is so much different to mine . I also have a much smaller steering wheel fitted (to give me more knee room) which makes it heavier to turn.
Pick up the parts on Friday .
Old 29th March 2017, 11:44

I've read somewhere that it is quite easy to retro fit electric power steering. The systems are compact and easy to set up. No plumbing or power draining hydraulic pumps to worry about. You don't have to swop out the rack, in fact you can fit a quick rack if you want. You can dial in how much assistance you want rather than what a fixed hydraulic system delivers.
Old 1st April 2017, 08:21

aofb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans View Post
I've read somewhere that it is quite easy to retro fit electric power steering. The systems are compact and easy to set up. No plumbing or power draining hydraulic pumps to worry about. You don't have to swop out the rack, in fact you can fit a quick rack if you want. You can dial in how much assistance you want rather than what a fixed hydraulic system delivers.
...And when. The Vauxhall system I've seen uses three speed setpoints to progressively stiffen up. My EPAS Fiat i think uses the same idea but has a button to force 100% assist and quickens the rack at low speed against what the computer wants to do.
The
Old 1st April 2017, 09:04

There are some really simple systems that can be retro fitted onto the steering column . Have a look at youtube for examples.
Old 6th April 2017, 19:49

Two hours to get this far, only had to cut off one bolt, unfortunately it was to the uj connecting the rack and column , once it was removed it was clear it needed to be replaced anyway so no big deal.
New uj ordered then for the refit.
Old 11th April 2017, 14:58

It's done, it works, it's great. Should have done it years ago , have been smiling all afternoon whilst driving it.