Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Italian Replica builds and chat

Italian Replica builds and chat Lamborghini, Ferrari, Lancia, any Italian replica car build and chat

Old 25th August 2013, 14:23

AcC8braman is on a distinguished road

Old 25th August 2013, 14:30

garyh is on a distinguished road

WOW...that's definitely not a real one,is it. That rear end is so realistic. 10/10.
Old 25th August 2013, 14:52

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Nice!
Old 25th August 2013, 14:59

Thanks guys, it's been along time coming!

Need to sort the alternator out and temp sensor too
Old 25th August 2013, 18:14

L5000s is on a distinguished road

plain and simply cracking
Old 29th August 2013, 11:23

Lambo is on a distinguished road
Default Postion of rear view camera

Hi Steve, You car looks awesome, hope mine turns out as good, a mate built a Tron Countach in 1991 in New Zealand, pic attached, and I helped him setup the rear view screen etc, he mounted the camera behind the drivers side rear lens in the bottom corner nearest to the centre of the car, what he found was that on a rainy day when you really need to see behind to change lanes etc the view from the camera was useless, the spray from the rear tyres just produces a fog of water,the camera was just too low down to be of any use. he ended up moving it up to the underside of the wing to overcome the problem, so if you have not mounted it yet I would suggest you do the same, if its not too late, what colour white did you end up using it looks just right for the car.
Best Regards
Graeme
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6951.JPG (96.1 KB, 47 views)
Old 29th August 2013, 13:08

Mine is part of the number plate holder, they are used for camper vans.

Colour is Mercedes Polar White
Old 17th September 2013, 07:43

Well, new Alternator is in, not sure if working or not, whats the best way to test??

Also fitting new temp sensor for rads, got an adjustable Kenlowe. Took me ages to find a ignition live, but tapped into one and is working fine

Worried the engine is smoking a bit, not sure if its due to sitting around for 1 1/2 years or too much fuel mixture ( very strong fuel smell from exhaust ) or might someother internal wear / damage - very worried at the mo
Old 17th September 2013, 09:45

Lambo is on a distinguished road
Default Checking your charge rate

Hi Steve, I found this a few days ago for a mate, that had a charging problem it helped him sort his problem out it could be of use.
http://www.aa1car.com/library/charging_checks.htm

Also while I am here is there a correct way to join wiring in a car, I have a BMW donor that has had a dash fire , I have a replacement loom but some of the cooked cables are 4 mm thick, so I was thinking of overlapping the wires and soldering but that gives me a 8mm join to cover, does anyone know the correct way to do this, I wondered about cutting half the cores out of each end and then pushing them together and then soldering is this method ok, because by the time I join 50 -60 wires the lump would be huge .

Regards
Graeme

Last edited by Lambo; 17th September 2013 at 09:53..
Old 17th September 2013, 11:34

Nice one Graeme, should be simple to test, just hope to god I haven't blown it or something

Wiring - I no leccy but what about a male / female connector? And then cover it with leccy tape?
Old 17th September 2013, 11:50

I'd say your smoking habit is probably due to a number of things as it's not been run regularly for so long. Key would be the engine being a bit choked up and the carbs not being set. That is, assuming that you've got the timing set correctly and new plugs fitted? But i'd say there's nothing to worry about yet as with mine it took me a few runs for it to settle down after 10yrs off the road!

Which thermostat and fans did you go for in the end? I only ask as i ended up with the Kenlowe dual speed thermostat (eventually) and 2 huge Kenlowe fans.

Graeme, as far as electrical connections are concerned I'd say that a decent crimping set and the properly rated connectors is imho the best way fwd and also gives yuo the most options for imaginative wiring
Old 17th September 2013, 12:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecymru View Post
I'd say your smoking habit is probably due to a number of things as it's not been run regularly for so long. Key would be the engine being a bit choked up and the carbs not being set. That is, assuming that you've got the timing set correctly and new plugs fitted? But i'd say there's nothing to worry about yet as with mine it took me a few runs for it to settle down after 10yrs off the road!

Which thermostat and fans did you go for in the end? I only ask as i ended up with the Kenlowe dual speed thermostat (eventually) and 2 huge Kenlowe fans.

Graeme, as far as electrical connections are concerned I'd say that a decent crimping set and the properly rated connectors is imho the best way fwd and also gives yuo the most options for imaginative wiring
Thanks Dave for the reassurance

I have new plugs to fit but want to do an oil change too but need to find out which to put in.

I went for the single speed thermo, very nice bit of kit, just need to find the right protected space to attach in the engine bay
Old 6th October 2013, 18:08

Well took the car for a quick spin around the village to help get the temp up and the fans kicked in nicely

Was so nervous and sweat a lot, it does get hot in there, yet to get the air con gassed.

Massive downside, got back onto the drive and took at look under the car, drips of oil coming from the front on the engine, no idea at the mo

Ran out of light to jack the car up to see where it's coming from

Sitting here with a beer, depressed as wanted to send IVA forms off this week
Old 19th October 2013, 05:45

Hi all,

I have been having problems with my alternator on my chevy engine not charging the battery.

After lots of searching I have now wired it correctly and I am showing a charge at the battery, the problem was it wasn't "excited" ( had to laugh at this lol).

Now my new issue, when turning the ignition off , idiot light comes on and the engine still runs?!?!?

I have to pull the wire out of the lamp to make it stop.

Is it a simple case of adding a diode or have I done something else wrong?

Also found the oil leak there is no plug in the ancillary hole near the fuel pump.

Semi successful evening in th garage.

Please help me sort this as I need to get my IVA forms off
Old 19th October 2013, 20:51

Alternator sorted, fingers crossed no flat battery tomorrow. Oil leak plugged as well

All is well, receipts to be copied tomoz and then IVA forms in the post
Old 19th October 2013, 21:02

Fingers crossed for you matey!
Old 20th October 2013, 15:26

Thanks Dave,

All is working fine now.

I have just completed my IVA form, copied all my receipts and popped a cd with pics of the build.

Hoping to find a post office tomorrow where I am working and send it reg post

Sh!tting it now
Old 25th October 2013, 05:56

Paid IVA yesterday
Old 25th October 2013, 22:02

grinner75 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcC8braman View Post

Hi AcC8braman,
I am in Australia and have started my dream car build of a Lamborghini countach. I have managed to get my hands on a mirage kit with space frame chassis. Am in the beginning stages of finalising the chassis and body. I have also got my hands on a 1992 BMW M70 V12 engine for it. I am having trouble trying to locate an interior for it though. Do you know of anyone who makes the interiors for these cars ? ( or how to make them myself ? ) Any leads or info would be greatly appreciated. Your Lamborghini looks awesome. I hope mine ends up as nice as that when i am finished with it. I am going for red with black interior.
Old 21st November 2013, 19:12

Hi All,

Well, IVA'ed today, it failed, but I am not unhappy.

Had a great experience at Derby, Roy was the tester and what a great guy he is

I will do a proper write up over the next couple of days to help others of what things I had to do / change / pointers, but here are my fail points :-

1) Noise - recorded 102.8 - decibel killers?

2) Park Brake - no reserve travel ( passed efficiency though )

3) Brake performance - should be split 60/40 to the front - mine totally reserved - head scratching time ???

4) Front indicators - we all know this one - simple, remove them and put LEDS on the mirrors

5) Headlamps - lamps putting up and right - should be left!! wrong lenses which I will need to source.

And thats it

Did fail on emissions - double permissible but allowed me to phone a friend, he even rang his Friend who told me how to adjust the carb correctly

Roy tried his best to help me get the car through but the above was not rectifiable on the day.

Great day out, even drove home, loved it

Strangely happy and disappointed at the same time