Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Old 2nd June 2014, 10:30

Hammy is on a distinguished road
Default Lotus Europa gets a makeover

Hi all,
I have had a huge opportunity come my way and have been offered a complete 1969 Lotus Europa bodyshell. I am thinking of creating a replica using an MX5 or Mk2 MR2. I'm just wandering if any companies in the past have done a Europa kit. This opportunity looks very interesting and too good to miss. Alternatively I can just sell the shell but that would hurt!

Last edited by Hammy; 7th July 2014 at 17:15..
Available from eBay
Old 2nd June 2014, 19:37

Jeffr4 is on a distinguished road

Not exactly the same, but.......
http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/01/...ya-20b-europa/
Old 2nd June 2014, 20:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffr4 View Post
Thanks mate
Old 3rd June 2014, 07:00

NeilF355 is on a distinguished road

Banks have been building a small number of Europa replicas for years.
http://www.banks-europa.co.uk/cars_home_new.htm
Old 3rd June 2014, 10:25

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

I love the Europa and am keen to encourage you. Would an MR2 or MGF be a better starting point? Neither are ideal but you will be hard-pushed to get the bonnet low enough if you have an MX5 engine to hide.
Old 3rd June 2014, 13:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford1360 View Post
I love the Europa and am keen to encourage you. Would an MR2 or MGF be a better starting point? Neither are ideal but you will be hard-pushed to get the bonnet low enough if you have an MX5 engine to hide.
Been looking at the MR2's today, Mk 2 seems a good option. A mate suggested the VX 220 which is very close in dimensions but donor costs are restricting. Still looking at the MX5 too as the bonnet on the Tribute MX250 I built was very low to as long as you don't go for a VVT engine. Owned an MGTF and would not consider as a good option, head gaskets are a major fail point and mine did badly. Still open as an idea though
Old 15th June 2014, 10:54

Quote:
I'm still looking into this but as the project will not necessarily be an exact replica I think the MX5 could work and maybe even a bit of work with the front nose end of the Lotus and a Tribute MX250 front clam. In theory it could work and end up with a very nice looking GT car, especially if done in race guise. The line of the MR2 has a slight downward slant from back to front and it continues through the door too. Also the side windows are the wrong shape and would require a lot of work with the rear section of the Europa.

Will post some pics of the angry grinder work soon....
Old 9th June 2014, 10:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffr4 View Post
Really liking this concept of a modern looking street racer
Old 9th June 2014, 13:13

davecymru is on a distinguished road

I don't know how familiar you are with the MR2, so please excuse me if i'm teaching granny to suck eggs, but i messed around with one a few years ago and even though it didn't come to anything i did photograph my strip down and hacking about.

I wondered if the pics may be of any use to you (or any others) who are thinking of using it as donor?

Have a nosey here: http://s49.photobucket.com/user/dave...bo%20kit%20car

Rgds

Dave
Old 10th June 2014, 10:42

Thats great thanks mate
Old 14th June 2014, 15:07

I picked the shell up yesterday and set about it with a cutting disc! Nearly broke my heart as it has been my favourite car since I was a kid but its all for the greater good. If this all goes wrong it has some valuable brightwork and glass on it so will make a bit of cash anyway....
Old 26th June 2014, 00:58

jmc14 is on a distinguished road

Great project. I'll be following to see what you end up doing.
Old 26th June 2014, 05:58

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Hammy - As you've asked for feedback, here are a few of my thoughts (for what they are worth)...

You might be able to remove "Replica" from the title of this thread if you use the "Edit" button on your first post.

This is what sums up your project for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy View Post
... its just supposed to be a modern take on a great old historic and poignant piece of Chapmans work ...
This is effectively the Tribute Automotive philosophy and yet even they still get comments about their cars not being perfect replicas.

Which leads me to this great quote about trying to build a Countach...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecymru View Post
... I now know that i don't want another "replica". Now please don't get me wrong i'm not slagging replicas off in any way, not in a million years! Neither am i criticizing any of the guys who have replicas of Lambos / Ferraris / Lancias etc... But having owned this MasterCo i have realised that for-me, at this point in my life, one of the things i enjoy most about the whole Kit Car "experience" is having something that i can do whatever i want to with, tinker with, redesign etc.. without having some say "that doesn't look right" ...
So there will always be people who have got something negative to say, but who cares about them?

You are "saving" this car from a life in the undergrowth, this is surely a good thing, so do what you want with it.

Personally, I took a lot of confidence from the fact you cut the whole car in half with out hesitation.

As this made my removal of the scuttle area on my Cordite look like a minor scratch by comparison.

Finally, I had taken a copy of this photo for a reply I will be making on my own build thread later today...

I am calling this the supermarket car "test".

If your finished car is parked next to anything "modern", it will stand out from the crowd for all the right reasons.

So build the car you want, to the best of your ability and the limits of your base car, then enjoy it.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 26th June 2014, 06:08

Great post Paul, thanks for your encouragement
Old 26th June 2014, 08:12

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Esprit convertable in the background isn't bad either
Old 23rd July 2014, 09:47

Ozzie Dave is on a distinguished road
Default St Tropez Esprit

Ah... that takes me back the St. Tropez Esprit in the background, early 80's had some great cars ...
Anyone remember the open top Countach with a Koning kit that was put out, I think by Mirage, I remember seeing it at stoneleigh on its release, that had the same type of effect on me. Must be something to do with wedges.
Old 23rd July 2014, 19:14

AcC8braman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie Dave View Post
Ah... that takes me back the St. Tropez Esprit in the background, early 80's had some great cars ...
Anyone remember the open top Countach with a Koning kit that was put out, I think by Mirage, I remember seeing it at stoneleigh on its release, that had the same type of effect on me. Must be something to do with wedges.
I think it was called the Monaco and produced by abs
Old 26th June 2014, 08:01

garyh is on a distinguished road

I like the straight edge of the door on the MR2 and the roof looks better.But i like the square edges of the door on the Mazda...
Old 26th June 2014, 10:11

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
I like the straight edge of the door on the MR2 and the roof looks better.But i like the square edges of the door on the Mazda...
I agree with Gary. They each have positives. The hip line on the original is very distinctive and it would be nice to try to maintain this in some way.

I can see cooling being a challenge with the MR2 option.

On a slightly different level, the MX5 was a modern-day successor to the Elan, so a Mazda Europa would be quite a nice tribute (with a small t).

Finally, the colour will make a massive differene. It's a rare car in that red just doesn't suit. A period colour will make a big difference.

Keep going, Hammy. It's great that we have the chance to have this discussion.
Old 26th June 2014, 17:25

Quote:
I agree with Gary. They each have positives. The hip line on the original is very distinctive and it would be nice to try to maintain this in some way.

I can see cooling being a challenge with the MR2 option.

On a slightly different level, the MX5 was a modern-day successor to the Elan, so a Mazda Europa would be quite a nice tribute (with a small t).

Finally, the colour will make a massive differene. It's a rare car in that red just doesn't suit. A period colour will make a big difference.

Keep going, Hammy. It's great that we have the chance to have this discussion.
Thanks mate and you're right about the mx5 and elan. The ps image looks like an elan front and europa rear..... mmmmmmmm a Euran, Eulan or Elopa lol