Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Old 1st July 2014, 22:35

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

That donor/base car looks horrible as an MX5, but its time is coming. The red "Europa" is erring towards a Porsche front end. Keep the Europa identity!
Old 1st July 2014, 22:37

Hammy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford1360 View Post
That donor/base car looks horrible as an MX5, but its time is coming. The red "Europa" is erring towards a Porsche front end. Keep the Europa identity!
I will mate and yes you're right the Mazdas days are numbered
Old 2nd July 2014, 08:59

froggyman is on a distinguished road

An interesting project. They were a great car in their day and fun to drive. I hope it all comes together for you. Looking forward to the pictures as it comes together. Good luck.
Old 2nd July 2014, 20:25

The afore mentioned lenses arrived today and would not take much work to fit and wouldn't result in tampering with the Lotus' original lines. I know this is early days but for £40 the pair I had to get them and if theyre not used I know they'll probably be used on something else

The original boot hinges, 44 years old, over 10 years cooped up in a bush (sounds like my military profile) and 5 minutes with wd40 and metal polish

Last edited by Hammy; 4th July 2014 at 21:47..
Old 2nd July 2014, 21:33

garyh is on a distinguished road

will the lights sit flush or inset?
Old 2nd July 2014, 21:44

Inset at the bottom like on the red one
Old 3rd July 2014, 07:29

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

Hi Hammy.

Now you have all your parts of the project together the fun really starts making them fit.

I think your major issue is going to be the difference in heights of doors/side profile of the mx5 vs the Lotus. Draw a line on both cars that joins the top of the wheel rims together and study what is above the line on both cars. The side sill and scoop on the red lotus is going to come in handy for hiding some of that issue, as will the front spoiler.

Keep at it
Old 3rd July 2014, 07:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute Automotive View Post
Hi Hammy.

Now you have all your parts of the project together the fun really starts making them fit.

I think your major issue is going to be the difference in heights of doors/side profile of the mx5 vs the Lotus. Draw a line on both cars that joins the top of the wheel rims together and study what is above the line on both cars. The side sill and scoop on the red lotus is going to come in handy for hiding some of that issue, as will the front spoiler.

Keep at it
Cheers Chris, appreciate your advice
Old 4th July 2014, 21:11

So got some drawings and had a look and naturally with Chris' eye and experience he has a point. I think if I slam the MX it'll get closer...

and if I mix up the 2 PS images it could look pretty cool but by no means a replica. I also think (excuse picture) that its going to very cool but then I would.

PS. also toying with the idea of a targa top a la elise......

Last edited by Hammy; 27th July 2014 at 10:33..
Old 5th July 2014, 11:44

Default donor

Picked up the donor today which I bought at face value off a lad at work for a great price with 10 months MOT. I wasn't aware of some of the extras. Its an 1800 eunos with full stainless system inc manifold, induction, strut brace and oil catch tank with some nice interior add ons too

It also has some classic mirrors and a great fuel filler which works on the remote from inside the car (great for an MX250 gto) I'll have these bits polished up

Couldn't resist this, obviously with the bumpers etc still on the MX its not on right but hey!

It also comes with a hardtop seen in the background

Another PS image

Last edited by Hammy; 6th July 2014 at 08:48..
Old 6th July 2014, 19:15

So I did do an hour on it today before the F1 started .....

Keep just chucking the quarters on before cutting to really have a think about it......

Next weekend weather permitting I'll get quite a bit done and some brave cutting
Old 7th July 2014, 20:14

All a bit Heath Robinson but Im not a CAD man so I thought Id share it anyway. Catching up with a couple of engineer mates this week for a beer in the garden so its really just a photo from a crazy man I suppose....
I just want to spend time thinking before cutting, even though Ive measured it all about 5 times

Old 12th July 2014, 10:48

Ive started cutting the shell today for fitment and the hardtop to. What was immediately clear was that there is going to a whole lot more cutting than expected an the hope of using the 1/4's a clams was just a pipe dream. However I am still very positive it is going to work out but with a sh*t load of work. I have a week off at the end of August just to work on this full time. Another thing for sure is Im gonna need load of bonding agent and filler!!!

Looks as though the original front wings are gonna play a bigger part than they did on my MX250. What does look good is that the mazda bonnet may be retained too!

And the rear bumper cover looks like it may end being a feature of the finished car! I'll need another one of those then!! :-)

Wish me luck folks, neighbour thinks Im mad! but said he loves the idea so far!

Last edited by Hammy; 12th July 2014 at 17:06..
Old 12th July 2014, 18:28

DSG4ME is on a distinguished road

You are working hard. At this speed it will be looking like a Lotus in no time at all.
Old 13th July 2014, 01:55

jmc14 is on a distinguished road

Keep up the good work.
Old 13th July 2014, 15:01

Thanks guys. Did a bit more today and as expected at some stage I made cut today that I wish I hadn't but that's the joy of a one of and working with Grp you can get away with it.

Also even though I'm a Foose fan I wasn't aware he had ever done a Europa but I watched it on YouTube last night

Cut the curved roof so I can graft in the flat lotus profile

Last edited by Hammy; 14th July 2014 at 18:34..
Old 15th July 2014, 13:38

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Hammy - I know this is still at an early stage, but it looks like your "vision" is going work out really well.

I look forward to seeing how you join all the bits back together, as I have quite a bit of "cutting and shutting" work to do on my own build.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 15th July 2014, 19:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Hammy - I know this is still at an early stage, but it looks like your "vision" is going work out really well.

I look forward to seeing how you join all the bits back together, as I have quite a bit of "cutting and shutting" work to do on my own build.

Good luck, Paul.
Thanks mate, it's ambitious but having sold many parts off the Europa at bizarre prices the project is at 0 cost so far. That aside I really want it to work and if it doesn't I have a great donor for an MX250 or MEV. Next thing is to find a mega cheap way of slamming it and sourcing some 17s cheap before I make further decisions on the whole of the front or the arch locations on the rear. I only say cheap cos I do to want to invest too much in case it doesn't work out. Naturally if it works it will get treated to cool rims and GAZ coilovers

Last edited by Hammy; 15th July 2014 at 21:34..
Old 16th July 2014, 19:09

Danny_HUFC is on a distinguished road

An easy and cheap way of slamming it is to remove the coils, clamp them down and use a blow torch to heat them up. the coils will shrink and stiffen up at thr same time. and it will only cost you price of the gas in the torch! the ride not be very nice but it will do the job.
Old 18th July 2014, 11:52

neemo is on a distinguished road

i quite like the styling of this europa.