Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 27th June 2005, 00:31

Strolls is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanp
I've driven a few Elises
Sorry to come to this thread so late, but can you comment on how the handling compares between the two cars?

I can't help thinking that a company like Lotus has a lot more resources to spend on getting handling right on their cars, and it seems to me that a kit car manufacturer might have some constraints enforced upon them by the donor vehicle(s).

I spoke to a local tuner who knows Elises and he reckoned that kit car manufacturers always have to make some compromises but "there's a lot you can do with a sticky set of tyres". He reckons that Marlin have a good reputation but he hadn't heard of the 5exi - he remarked that it's quite a departure from their previous models.

I've also heard that (motorcycle, at least) racers spend a lot of time hand-tweaking their suspension set-ups - I guess that handling might well be one of these aspects of engineering that's more art than science.

Obviously, I'm here because I fancy a 5exi so I'm hoping that the two cars might be comparable!! Frankly, I don't have 10k to drop on a secondhand Elise today, but the 5exi stages are so affordable.
Old 27th June 2005, 09:14
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Hi mate.

Mark at Marlin likes racing. He designed the 5EXI as a track car. The suspension is totally non Rover. It has fully adjustable suspension so can be tweeked to your liking. Not drove the Lotus so can't comment so comparisons but I know I think. The 5EXI is quick. Dylan would be the best person to comment as he has driven both.

Cheers

John
Old 15th July 2005, 15:39
Enthusiast

dylanp is on a distinguished road

Guys guys... I have driven both cars but please bear in mind that that doesn't make me an expert in the field of Lotus Vs Marlin.

Here's my opinion on the subject:
- 5exi suspension has no common components with the donor - so you can take rover out of the equation
- 5Exi is a bit lighter than the Elise so in that respect it defies physics in a slightly different way.
- Mark @ Marlin is very passionate about racing his 5exi so you can rest assured that the suspension setup is appropriate for track use..
- the suspension is fully adjustable and that in itself ensures that you can tweak it to suit your driving style or even driving mood on that day (for example driving through Belgium I got a bit fed up with the bumpiness of their motorways so I turned the dampers a few clicks and happy boy again.. Took 10 seconds!)
- Unfortunately I still haven't found time to take the 5exi to a track so I will have to report further once I do this.. However I can vouch that its tons and tons of fun on A and B roads!
You won't regret it!!
DO IT!!

Good luck,
Dylan
Old 15th July 2005, 15:44

Strolls is on a distinguished road

Quote:
...I can vouch that its tons and tons of fun on A and B roads!
You won't regret it!!
DO IT!!
Thanks, Dylan! I appreciate the comments.
Old 29th September 2005, 17:45

richardh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I got a bit fed up with the bumpiness of their motorways so I turned the dampers a few clicks and happy boy again.. Took 10 seconds!)
Not an owner yet - but that one party trick alone is almost enough to make me part with the cash!

Trouble with many "sporty" cars is the harsh ride penalises touring. Nice idea to set it soft for travelling and then hard for zipping about at the destination. Soft setting again the journey home !