Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 19th November 2015, 21:46

mazdarazmataz is on a distinguished road

Whereabouts in the Midlands are you? I'm thinking of buying a kit, and would like to see one in the flesh
Old 20th November 2015, 19:22

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Jones - Great news on the shed/garage.

It got very cold this afternoon & I hear the weekend will be worse.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 18th December 2015, 20:14

jones is on a distinguished road

Thanks PAUL

Not much to report of late, although the shed was quite an ordeal, living on what is the worst clay ground I have had the pleasure of digging and living on ground that is quite a nice gradient meant some good exercise shifting dirt to get a level platform to lay the slabs. Eventually by last weekend the shed was up and water tight - this is 8'x6'.

With shed built great enthusiasm ensued and 3 trips to the tip and a now very full garden shed there appeared to be enough space for the car. I removed the cover one last time jumped the car and drove it in... as I got it close to the workbench along the back wall I slowed to a crawl until a carefully place sheet of cardboard moved signally me to hit the brakes. there I was sat there in the car all smiles thinking this is the corner that now the project will turn into high gear went to open the door - barely enough space for me to even get out. not to worry I thought I can make do. moved round to the rear and I was still too far out for the door to close! This car is much longer than it looks and wider, I had the donor in the garage when I first got it and thought there would be a luxurious amount of space, how wrong can one man be!?!?

This weekend - more trips to the tip and will dismantle the work bench for now and see if that solves the problem. If it does I will build a folding bench. Fingers crossed I can crack on a bit, the immediate to do list:
  1. I need to drain the coolant and fit some new pipes and a new radiator
  2. bond new inner boot skin to outer whilst mounting the shortened boot hinges
  3. be brave and cut the bonnet hinges mount to inner bonnet skin and bond the two layers together when happy
  4. Bond the rear clam to body
  5. rub, fill, sand and repeat process for a few hundred hours until happy
  6. fabricate exhaust (never done this before but hey why not give it a try?)
  7. welcome the first day of spring by taking to MOT centre for its first MOT since it came off the road in November 2014
  8. drive it for a bit and smile
  9. PAINT
  10. complete interior touches
  11. DONE

Last edited by jones; 28th March 2016 at 23:25..
Old 22nd December 2015, 16:58

Jones- Sorry, I seemed to have missed the news that your car doesn't fit in your garage.

I also know what a pain it is to work with heavy clay, this was the mess I was in building my Summer House base.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 6th February 2016, 19:20

So I thought the thread might be overdue an update, so here it is.

Since Christmas I have managed to grab very little spare time but managed to fit the new radiator and hoses. At the same time I managed to fit the outstanding front lowering springs too.

Today I managed a few hours and it was final mock up of the rear for marking out the holes to be drilled for rivets and self tapping bolts. Then proceeded to strip the rear lights out and then whilst I had good access did a fiddly job I didn't fancy doing once the long overdue bonding has been completed, that was to trim the boot lip for the seal to sit nice and snug.

No pictures of the afternoons antics other than the first kit car based wound... Well I know compared to others on this forum it's not major plus scars add character apparently.

Last edited by jones; 28th March 2016 at 23:26..
Old 6th February 2016, 20:00

y cymro is on a distinguished road

Good effort. What happened?
Old 7th February 2016, 09:35

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

My guess is that a cutting disc on your grinder shattered? Or was is a kit car related knife fight with the wife?
Old 7th February 2016, 10:24

If only it was that exciting Chris! I was on my back doing up the rear wheel arch body kit bolts in my micro machine sized garage when the fibreglass headlining decided that leaning upright was not it favoured position. Instead it was on the express route of joining me on the floor via a pit stop visit to my head.
Old 7th February 2016, 10:35

On the flipside, you now look like geralt of rivea (well a bit)
Old 7th February 2016, 11:34

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Battle wound? No, actually a bit of fibreglass kit car trim fell on me, but I don't like to talk about it...
Old 7th February 2016, 11:38

Lol awesome, I wasn't sure if anyone would get the reference....
Old 7th February 2016, 17:22

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdarazmataz View Post
Lol awesome, I wasn't sure if anyone would get the reference....
I had to Google it as I'm far too old for computer games.
Old 7th February 2016, 17:24

Never too old for computer games! My 73 yo mum plays them!
Old 13th February 2016, 14:31

Haha as I can't carry off that look I have aided best I can the healing process to minimise scaring. Timing couldn't have been worse as the beginning of next week I have some critical presentations to potential clients in the conservative world of financial services consulting. Ah well

So unfortunately whilst changing the belts there was a hose that didn't look quite right upon further inspection I noticed it also was rubbing against a belt. As I investigated further there was a small 'ting' noise as it popped off and with it the metal pipe it was attached to. Followed by a gushing of fresh coolant across the cramped garage floor! Needless to say some choice language ensued.

Once I had stopped the cars bleeding I was able to look in more detail, some muppet had fudged a repair and rather than replacing the bypass pipe and inlet pipe when it had broken originally they used a thick fuel pipe and forced it onto the remains of the mounting on the unit. It had corroded through. So a week shopping about I have bought the correct new parts and when this unexpected hangover finally subsides I will fix the unit and top again with new coolant. Just annoying that I have to replace the coolant that is only 7 days old! Things brake and on a car that is over 25 years old it's part of the course just wish it had happened when I was replacing the radiator and hoses and thus coolant-less.

No pictures as of yet but if I remember I will take some and retrospectively post some.

Have a good weekend all

Added picture - as you see a bit of difference from the new one on the left and the any bit will do piece on the right. The right picture was my quick bodge of how to plug the leak with anything in arms reach, as you can see a pencil and a latex glove.

Last edited by jones; 28th March 2016 at 23:43.. Reason: Typo
Old 12th March 2016, 21:44

Sooooo firstly ashamedly I have failed yet again to take pictures, my phone and tablet had both died but having spent the morning sorting out the first mow of the lawn this year and servicing the mower I pressed on to the reward... working on the car.

I was determined to get the boot finally sorted and I can say that today I am pleased to say I have completed the task! So very pleased, I have created a KISS solution for the hinges but they are just as a mock up the final ones will be much smarter and welded. I am determined to get this on the road by Stoneleigh and I will tweak everything once it's on the road.

I'll post pictures tomorrow...

Picture added not quite tomorrow as promised but a few weeks later, appears I didn't take many photos. The reason for the ballast is I had bonded the inner skin to the boot lid to give back the subtle curve.

Last edited by jones; 28th March 2016 at 23:47..
Old 26th March 2016, 14:58

My wife is up north today (Saturday) so I have decided despite the weather I will try and get some work done on the car.

The first job was to get the car turned around and top off, for today is about the rusty sill repair. That done got the car in at an angle to give me as much rear room as possible - the joke is some plum in his haste removed the wing mirrors! Luckily no mishaps 😃

So to work I want grinding the paint back to see how far the rot went, this was a nice surprise a) turns out it's an original panel b) the panel was actually not bad and the rot was on the outside panel with just surface rust on the structural inner panel. I drilled out the spot welds, then cut the rusty panel out. Next I cleaned the surface rust off slapped on some Kurust and made a quick trip to halfords for some zinc primer to stop the rust coming back and some weld through primer.

So first I taped off the area that I will be welding too, sprayed the remainder with the zinc primer in thick coats. Removed the tape and sprayed that area with the weld through primer. Next I got the new panel and started to drill the new spot weld holes.

Now was the time for a break, next up cutting the panel for a snug fit and then weld up the new panel... end of part 1 and time for lunch and a good cuppa

Last edited by jones; 26th March 2016 at 19:13..
Old 26th March 2016, 22:58

Part 2 - Slow & Steady

Our ventured back outside to tackle the next steps, I spent my time trimming and offering up and then re trimming etc. I remembered something that I had heard before, it's easy to trim a bit off but very difficult to add a bit back on. Eventually I was happy and I was ready to apply my novice welding skills to the challenge. I went with lots and lots of butt welds along the top and good solid plug welds along the bottom and down the sides. It's not perfect but that's okay as it's no longer going to be on show but if it had a been a quick skim of filler would have sorted it I guess.

Next jobs completed were welding up the old wing mirror mounting holes in the door and a skim of filler. Following that the dreaded task of removing the lower door rubberised stone chip protection. Once complete I did the first round of filling in the swage line, once completed I decided to down tools for the evening wanted to watch the footy and glad I did! A great England comeback in the 2nd half.

Well that's it for now, got some house DIY to complete too this weekend so not sure if I'll be able to get back out there again.

Next job to tick off is the final bonding! Finally!

Last edited by jones; 28th March 2016 at 01:08..
Old 27th March 2016, 07:27

Jones - Good to see you were able to do your own welding repairs.

Good luck with the bonding, Paul.
Old 28th March 2016, 18:37

Default So today is the day...

...well I only bl**do gone and done it!

Thanks Paul I needed that for today.

Yep that's right I bit the bullet and bonded it all together. Now for those experienced of you will say so what? Truth be told I had been putting it off and putting it off. There was a huge sense of no turning back and I kept wondering if that's right and this has been going on for a while. Yesterday I did a dry run through but it did not prepare me for just how rapid the epoxy went off. Some might recall that I had purchased some different bonding epoxy than that was supplied by Tribute. A superior product? yes. A ridiculously quick setting time... ummm yeah. I was lucky I had planned to do the two sides separately otherwise it would had been crazy!

Not much camera action today so this all I got, I had already started removing the tec screws in case you think I had gone crazy with the drill.

Last edited by jones; 28th March 2016 at 19:08..
Old 28th March 2016, 19:12

Drummajor is on a distinguished road

That's a good start