Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Italian Replica builds and chat

Italian Replica builds and chat Lamborghini, Ferrari, Lancia, any Italian replica car build and chat

Old 22nd January 2019, 18:58

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

A couple of recent photo's here. I'm still not sure about the rear indicators. I might go with larger units fully inside the slot. I'm really pleased with the way the exhausts have turned out, full megaphone effect like the original !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3546.jpg (86.0 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3549.jpg (88.9 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3551.jpg (89.0 KB, 98 views)
Old 22nd January 2019, 19:17

molleur is on a distinguished road

In a single word, WOW!
Old 22nd January 2019, 20:26

JJMCD is on a distinguished road

Beautiful! You got the wheels and tires exactly right - painted period wires with the right offset and correct profile tires. That is where so many people make mistakes - too big/too modern wheels and low profile tires, which make it look like an obvious kit car.
Old 22nd January 2019, 20:44

Paul L is on a distinguished road

I think you are going to stop traffic!

Old 22nd January 2019, 20:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMCD View Post
Beautiful! You got the wheels and tires exactly right - painted period wires with the right offset and correct profile tires. That is where so many people make mistakes - too big/too modern wheels and low profile tires, which make it look like an obvious kit car.
I'm really trying to keep it looking authentic. I did buy two sets of wheels, these centre laced style really set the car off well.
This isn't so much kit car but a bespoke one off with a coach built body by Giordanengo.
Old 22nd January 2019, 21:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans View Post
I'm really trying to keep it looking authentic. I did buy two sets of wheels, these centre laced style really set the car off well.
This isn't so much kit car but a bespoke one off with a coach built body by Giordanengo.
Yes, agreed. Along with your body, there are several other aftermarket Ferrari bodies that have been subsequently installed on different chassis after the Ferrari owner decided to return the car to stock appearance by having a reproduction of the original body made. For example, a famous 250SWB received a Drogo rebody in the 1960s after a crash, which was replaced with a reproduction 250SWB body in the 1980s after the value of 250SWBs skyrocketed. That Drogo body was subsequently installed on a 250 GTE or PF coupe chassis.

The reason why your body became available was that Boano coupes like the one on which your 250TR replica body was installed appreciated sufficiently in value that the owner figured out that he could have Heitbrink make a new Boano body for it and have a car that is worth more than a Boano chassis with a 250TR rebody. Eventually, the same thing will happen with the 250GTEs and 330 GTs that are underneath the other 250TR and GTO rebodies out there, those chassis will be put back to original and the bodies will become available.

If and when it comes time to sell this car, I think that you could substantially increase its value by installing the body on derelict Ferrari 400a chassis, as it would once again be “all Ferrari”.

In the interim, have fund with it! Great work, once again.

Last edited by JJMCD; 22nd January 2019 at 21:50..
Old 22nd January 2019, 21:47

keith is on a distinguished road

Your car looks amazing well impressed!!!!!
Old 22nd January 2019, 22:02

Quote:
Yes, agreed. Along with your body, there are several other aftermarket Ferrari bodies that have been subsequently installed on different chassis after the Ferrari owner decided to return the car to stock appearance have a reproduction of the original body made. For example, a famous 250SWB received a Drogo rebody in the 1960s after a crash, which was replaced with a reproduction 250SWB body in the 1980s after the value of 250SWBs skyrocketed. That Drogo body was subsequently installed on a 250 GTE or PF coupe chassis.

The reason why your body became available was that Boano coupes like the one on which your 250TR replica body was installed appreciated sufficiently in value that the owner figured out that he could have Heitbrink make a new Boano body for it and have a car that is worth more than a Boano chassis with a 250TR rebody. Eventually, the same thing will happen with the 250GTEs and 330 GTs that are underneath the other 250TR and GTO rebodies out there, those chassis will be put back to original and the bodies will become available.

If and when it comes time to sell this car, I think that you could substantially increase its value by installing the body on derelict Ferrari 400a chassis, as it would once again be “all Ferrari”.

In the interim, have fund with it! Great work, once again.
You are well informed JJMCD, that was the fate of my example. It will only be a short while before the Ferrari 400 cars are hugely collectable in their own right and will be restored.
From my point of view this has been a great project and for me the number one thing is the hand crafted body which sets it apart from anything else out there and is unique in its own right. The running gear and chassis are a well proven formula and is easy to live with whilst entertaining and fun to drive.
Old 23rd January 2019, 06:50

Axel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
A couple of recent photo's here. I'm still not sure about the rear indicators. I might go with larger units fully inside the slot. I'm really pleased with the way the exhausts have turned out, full megaphone effect like the original !
In germany I would put indicators there for getting german TÜV and put them somewhere else afterwards, in example integrate them in the taillights or let the taillight flash in red, I think there is extra permission to do so with some classic cars!

Last edited by Axel; 23rd January 2019 at 06:55..
Old 23rd January 2019, 07:22

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

UK regulations state that flashing rear red indicators (which aren't also visible from the front) are legal on cars first used before 1st September 1965, otherwise they must be amber.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...chedule/7/made

As the original Ferrari wouldn't have had indicators at all, anything reasonably period looking attached anywhere you like the look of them won't look out of place, as it's what an owner would have done for road use back in the 60's or 70's anyway.

Also, have you considered white lenses with amber bulbs? Would be legal and less obvious that they're indicators until you use them.

As your donor is pretty modern, you'll also need to read through the lighting regulations to check if your lenses need to be 'E' marked.

Project's coming along very nicely, btw.
Old 23rd January 2019, 09:51

The little indicator units are Fiat X19 side repeaters, they are also marked. I need to check the requirements for fog and reversing lights regards the MOT.
Old 23rd January 2019, 10:05
Enthusiast

DaveP is on a distinguished road

That looks the Italian dog’s doodahs. My compliments so far.

I believe you have to fit at least one fog slightly right of centre drivers side or a pair. They also need to be more than 10cm from brake lights (distance might be wrong but there is a set separation. No regulatory need for reversing lights as that only applies to cars at a newer age.

It may not fit with your looks but on my Kobra I went same as Paul L and fitted reflectors (also a requirement unless the light unit has reflectors as std) that had Leds. It fitted both needs and they are quite unobtrusive.

I have seen a Kobra with indicators that are tiny LEDs for motorcycles that passed MOT (in N Devon at least). You might be able to place them discreetly.

Keep up the excellent work.

Dave
Old 23rd January 2019, 17:00

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The little indicator units are Fiat X19 side repeaters, they are also marked. I need to check the requirements for fog and reversing lights regards the MOT.
Again, it depends on what year your donor was first used or manufactured whether you need to fit rear fog lights and how many you can or must have -

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...hedule/11/made

Short version:

Vehicle first used before 1st April 1980 or manufactured before 1st October 1979 = None required by law, but you can fit as many as you like (and they can even all be different styles if that floats your boat) so long as: they're red; they're not wired to come on with the brake lights; if there's more than one they must be at least 100mm apart.

Vehicle first used on or after 1st April 1980 or manufactured on or after 1st October 1979 = minimum one to be fitted to the rear centreline or off-side, and maximum of two must be fitted and are subject to all the other requirements listed in the schedule.

Vehicle first used on or after 1st April 1986 = if two are fitted they must be a matched pair.

I'm guessing your donor fits into the post 1980 category, so a single 'rain light' could legally be fitted on the centre line of the vehicle so long as it complies with the rest of the regulations.
Old 23rd January 2019, 19:12

I've had a quick look and as my car is 2007 I'll be fitting fog and reverse lights. No problem to install as I've only just started on the wiring.
Old 23rd January 2019, 20:43

Once you finish it, you should talk with Tribute about splashing the body and rolling it out as a kit based on the Locost chassis with Alfa V6 power.

I am sure that lots of people would be interested in a reasonably priced 1:1 replica of a pontoon bodied 250 TR that sounds the part.
Old 24th January 2019, 20:41

tricky360 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Once you finish it, you should talk with Tribute about splashing the body and rolling it out as a kit based on the Locost chassis with Alfa V6 power.

I am sure that lots of people would be interested in a reasonably priced 1:1 replica of a pontoon bodied 250 TR that sounds the part.
yes ,yes and yes again!
Old 25th January 2019, 17:36

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Moulding from an aluminium body is risky ...the removal of the mould with wedges and compressed air in tight spots etc. can cause bruising and dents on an ally body if you aren't careful ...
Old 25th January 2019, 19:51

wax-on, wax-off many times, Addition of PVA (sprayed on helps as well). Still a bit risky.
Old 27th January 2019, 18:45

Not much done this weekend but here are a couple more photo's.

Firstly the seats offered up.
Details around the door hinge.
Panel work of the near side sill / step.

I've also completed the rear inner arches on the near side. I made templates for every panel so that should speed up the off side work.

This week will see the remaining inner panels completed along with the dash and instruments fitment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3553.jpg (84.0 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3554.jpg (99.8 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3555.jpg (86.3 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 27th January 2019 at 18:50..
Old 27th January 2019, 18:51

Nicely done!