Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Dino 246 Builds and Discussion

Dino 246 Builds and Discussion Da da da da daaa daa da da, ohoho Dino

Old 4th June 2016, 19:48
Enthusiast

rossnzwpi is on a distinguished road

Do keep on showing photos Neil! Its always great to see cars in progress.
keep up the good work
Ross
Old 7th June 2016, 18:15

thecarbuilder246 is on a distinguished road
Default photo

hi

I've tried a few times to upload photo's but never had any success-what's the secret?

ian
Old 9th June 2016, 06:40
Enthusiast

Hi Ian, I think the secret to having the photo just appear on the page as opposed to being an attachment where you have a file name to click on before you see anything is: the photo has to be hosted online somewhere and you insert the URL for it.
So if you upload your photos to a free online album like photobucket or maybe instagram, etc then when you are typing a reply like this one just click the insert photo icon and you will be asked for the URL of the photo. Copy and paste it from the site you uploaded your photo to.
good luck
Ross
Old 9th June 2016, 06:42
Enthusiast

Oh, and did I mention that it helps if the photo is a .jpg and only a 1000 or so pixels wide!
cheers
Ross
Old 5th July 2016, 03:27

Ironmike226 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai View Post
Hello all, I've recently purchased Dehavillands prototype Dino
I met the Dehavilland team at Stoneleigh last year, and was very impressed with their enthusiasm and their product.
With a new kit a little out of my budget right now, I snapped up the opportunity to purchase their prototype car when it came up for sale with only a couple of hundred miles on the clock.
Dehavilland have upgraded some features since building this car which I intend to update in time, but for now I'm going to use the car as it is, with the intention of starting a V6 conversion towards the end of the summer
I know there are are a few Dino replicas running around with Alfa V6s, and from what I have read, there are issues with driveshaft angles, and clearance to the engine cover .
If there are any members on here with a V6 Dino, Alfa or other , I'd be very interested in seeing some pics and learning about any issues
Has anyone fitted a V6 in a Dehavilland yet ?
Still trying to decide if an Alfa is the best engine to fit or not?

Cheers ,
Dai
Hi,
I am a potential Dehavilland Dino builder with a preference for a V6 rather than the MGTF.
Was the issue of the Alfa V6 fitting in comfortably resolved please? If so, which Alfa motor from which model Alfa is it please?
Also, does this mess up a standard wheel pattern etc front to rear given the different hubs?
All handy hints greatly appreciated as I am in Australia...
Mike
Old 2nd August 2016, 09:19
Enthusiast

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum. Almost all Alfa V6s are the same in terms of physical size and weight. The hub pattern of Dino wheels is 5x108mm - which is only the same as Alfa 166. But the hubs can be easily fitted to other Alfas. The 156 is 2.5 litres and less power but revs a bit more freely. The 166 3.0 is biased slightly to torque. The GTA V6 is a 3.2 and has more power. There are plenty of tuning kits.
Almost anything can be made to fit and the MGF subrame is no exception. Its not a straightforward drop it in thing though.
If you want you might be able to source Dino replica wheels with blank centres to match whatever hubs you have. Or you can use welded steel wheels to match your hubs and fibreglass dino "caps"
The Alfa V6 is quite a tall engine but can obviously be fitted because many people have
best of luck.
Old 25th September 2016, 07:25

Paul L is on a distinguished road

# Just Testing #

Following this post - http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...8&postcount=14
Old 25th September 2016, 09:01

yoeddynz is on a distinguished road

Hi all,
I've only just found the Dino section on this forum :-)

I've been a huge Dino fan for the last decade, bought the book, sat in the cars, dreamed the dreams, watched the prices soar, wished I'd bought the cheap Dino replica being sold locally not far from where I was in Oxfordshire while living in Blighty for ten years.

So now back in NZ I'm still scheming.

Anyway.. this thread. If I was to build a Dino replica I'd be keen on fitting the Mazda KL ZE V6 engine that I have fitted into my Viva HB. Its tiny, lightweight at 120kg, very compact, comes with a decent box that can be had with an LSD and in JDM spec like mine comes with 200bhp @7500 rpm standard from 2.5 litres. So it matches the Dino engine very closely. It sounds fantastic, is very strong, will do huge mileages and I'm getting average of 28 mpg - in a car that has the aerodynamics of a brick.

Plus the cam cover on the N/S looks similar to the Ferrari engine....

I need to get around to replicating it on the O/S. The stock inlet manifold hides this one and its flatter. I made my own manifold and plenum to suit RWD so now its on view.

If you are more interested in these engines then you can read through my Viva build thread here. The V6 swap started about page 3 I think?...

http://oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/to...ck#entry750082

Oh I do so hope I'll be in a position one day to build my own Dino!!! :-)

Alex.

Edit; more info on these engines here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_K_engine

http://davidandjemma.com/mazda/KL.htm

Last edited by yoeddynz; 25th September 2016 at 09:09..
Old 25th September 2016, 10:13
Enthusiast

Welcome Alex. and your Mazda V6 looks and sounds amazing - perfect for a Dino replica in many ways. Shame you didn't get that replica and bring it back to NZ. I'm still kicking myself for not buying the Dino 246 for 4000GBP when I was in London in the mid eighties - if only I knew then what we all know now.
Cheers
Ross
Old 25th September 2016, 12:37

thecarbuilder246 is on a distinguished road
Default mondeo

Hi
Is this the mazda derived 2.5v6 engine found in the mondeo st?
cool looking engine bay.

ian
Old 25th September 2016, 21:20

yoeddynz is on a distinguished road

Cheers Ross. I also turned down a very tidy, mot'd and NOT rusty lancia Fulvia a customer of my bike shop was told to get rid of by his wife.. all for 1000 squid! Bugger!

Carguy246- this is the same V6 found in the Mx6 and Ford Probe plus the 626 and a few other Jap market only cars. The Mondeo V6 is a later engine.
Old 26th September 2016, 22:44
Enthusiast

And the Mondeo V6 (Duratec V6) is larger and a lot heavier if the stats I read on here are to be believed. The Mondeo is quite closely related to the V6 found in a longitudinal position in the Jaguar S-type and Lincoln in the USA and of course the Mondeo-derived transverse Jaguar X-type. One was fitted under the bonnet of an MX5 by the factory as an experiment.
The Mazda 60 degree V6 is related to the Suzuki V6 from their 4WD. The Mazda V6 has a long history of being fitted to MX5s with an adaptor to mate it to the MX5 gearbox and even Triumph motorbike throttle bodies and Megasquirt injection (see CRAP Engineering and Clairetoo - she's the UK-based guru on this). It is a very sweet, high revving, light engine in 1.8; 2.0 and 2.5 versions. Outdated now as the Duratec makes more sense economically and emissions-wise.