Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 21st May 2012, 12:51

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
Have you had it re-registered yet?
No not yet as the engine change has to be registered first (V6 to V8) and the DVLA have made that difficult, you simply cannot just change the log book details any more, you have to have proof of purchase and or installation receipts from a garage or RAC inspection report.

The other reason is that my engine and gear box are not permanently fixed yet and I will only being doing that after I have lifted the body off, the car is on a SORN
Old 21st May 2012, 12:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident View Post
Looking good.

Could take larger wheels with those new arches.

Did you work out how to do the beaded lip on the arches?
Yes I am using 15" series 111 E type wheels which do fill the arches. I am going to try that fix put onto the forum last week 3mm or 4mm dia fibres glass rods etc etc
Old 21st May 2012, 12:55

garyh is on a distinguished road

I was just wondering how far you will go with build? i.e if like the Spyder, showing that the body secures on in the same way as a Herald... do you have to see bolts from the inside before glassing over?
Old 21st May 2012, 13:49

Quote:
I was just wondering how far you will go with build? i.e if like the Spyder, showing that the body secures on in the same way as a Herald... do you have to see bolts from the inside before glassing over?
As I said the beauty of this is that the whole of the floor pan/ bulkhead is retained and the G46 body fixed to it, so you never glass over the original fixing bolt holes.

When the new car is created it can be removed from the chassis as easily as the original Scimitar even in my case where I formed a new bulkhead as that in itself is fixed off the foundation of the floor pan.
Old 21st May 2012, 16:40

Nike55 is on a distinguished road

..quite agree with regard to your wishing to respect the original design. I do feel your air scoop adds to the design in a sympathetic way.

As Gary admits without seeing a completed and painted G46 'in the flesh' it is difficult to appreciate how the design cues work together (something you don't always get with photos). It is not easy to quantify the style.

I originally thought the G46 seemed a bit 'brutish' (like a D type on steroids) but when I saw 'Orca' at Exeter and Poole it had an elegance to it, like a Ferrari.. it seems to change depending on the angle you look at it, so looking forward to seeing more photos..

Last edited by Nike55; 5th June 2012 at 22:35.. Reason: boredom
Old 23rd July 2012, 14:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charman.tech View Post
Yes I am using 15" series 111 E type wheels which do fill the arches. I am going to try that fix put onto the forum last week 3mm or 4mm dia fibres glass rods etc etc
How did the fix go, that i suggested? And what else has been done?
Old 23rd July 2012, 18:00

HouseMartin is on a distinguished road
Default Long time no updates

Quote:
How did the fix go, that i suggested? And what else has been done?
So Chairman, are you keeping your g46 V8 under wraps for the big unveiling in August?
HM
Old 24th July 2012, 18:58

Default Update

Have not done any work on the car since my last posting. My son Charlie has been working away in States but returns at the end of the month so we will get cracking again until he goes back. We want to build the car together so I am conscious not to race ahead.

I have not been idol I have been working on a new classic touring car with Madmark we have purchase a 1965 Ford Falcon which we are preparing to turn into a FIA appendix "K" race car.

The G46 sits along side the Falcon, hopefully the Falcon hoes off to soda blasting in a week or so and the G46 will get back into pride of place in the work shop.

Should have built the garage much much longer for the Falcon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 24th July 2012, 19:33

Didn't one of the 'Classic Car' mag reporters run a Ford Galaxy in a similar vein?

I believe they used to refer to it as the 'USS Enterprise', as per the aircraft carrier (not the starship), if so you really must invent an appellation for the 'Falcon' (but hopefully not the synonym 'Millenium') and it really must have it's own Blog..
Old 24th July 2012, 21:27

redratbike is on a distinguished road

sounds good to me ...looks even better

Last edited by redratbike; 24th July 2012 at 21:29..
Old 24th July 2012, 22:20

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

And room to land a couple of F18's on the bonnet...
Old 24th July 2012, 22:47

...and a brace of Osprey.
Old 25th July 2012, 17:30

madmark is on a distinguished road

When you share a car, important to have two of one particular item!! Photo to follow.
Old 25th September 2012, 09:17

I'm ready to see what you've been upto, or is it a secret...
Old 25th September 2012, 12:51

Default Progress

Quote:
I'm ready to see what you've been upto, or is it a secret...
As I said earlier we have been involved in the Falcon strip out, but have returned to the G46 now.

No secrets keen to share my experiences as more g46 builds are under-way.

A lot of work has been done but not much to show in the way of progress. I will get Charlie to take some photos at the weekend and more importantly upload then to my computer and to the forum and write an up date.
Old 22nd October 2012, 22:52

Default front end

Here are some photos of the front end works, not much to show for the hours and hours put in

We had trouble getting a good line both sides of the car when viewed from the rear. The passenger side had a nice line but the drivers side front wing stuck out terrible, there was no way we could get them equal so eventual we cut the bonnet in two and took out a 32 mm wide strip not centrally so the right hand side moved over bring in the wing line equal both sides to wheels chassis etc.

Red line shows the "cut & shut" more importantly the "Surrey Scoop" is nearing it's final shape

"Surrey Scoop" close up cut out hole in bonnet after having to cut new bonnet aperture in the front end after the "cut & shut". formed cardboard mould and taped with gaffer and made up fibreglass infill, needed a ply wood rib to add stiffness on the underside, mesh grill to go in the aperture.

Bonnet hinge detail are door hinges from europa spares that we could not make work on the doors (to much of a curved surface) but they work well for the bonnet hinge central pin made from threaded rod, hollow tube and a couple of spare D shaped bracket that came from LL fixed to ply back and to be fibre glassed in place.

This is the ply pate bolted to the suspension turret and then bonded to the bonnet very very strong. Cross strut moved forward to ply plate and will carry the top of the rad sloping back down to the chassis and oil cooler.

Head light pods are next to be re-profiled as later "E Types" as LL solution with perspex cover not really resolved, I note from HM car that the moulding is different and as AH car no cut outs at all, we think it would look good with exposed headlight with out the major issue of making a perspex cover work.

Not showing the back of the car yet but a hint to it's final form my be described as a "Bob tail"

Or the side of the car where we have just made the form for the recessed exhaust in the cill as per a "C Type"

Will update later in the week.
Old 23rd October 2012, 08:56

Love the Surrey scoop, I thought it would be concave. Narrowing the body, is it just the front? As I was wondering how you match it to the width of bulkhead?
Old 23rd October 2012, 11:48

Default Concave/convex

Quote:
Love the Surrey scoop, I thought it would be concave. Narrowing the body, is it just the front? As I was wondering how you match it to the width of bulkhead?
In the building trade we would call it "to falls and cross falls" the front half is concave as the bonnet line is and then it changes to convex to fall under the the bonnet line at the rear it's like a double compound curve.
Old 26th October 2012, 20:44

Default further body mods

We have been making a fibreglass mould and casting new cill sections for the car this week. Running a V8 engine we have decided to run the exhausts external (not like a cobra) more like a "C" Type

So we made the mould out of section of old gutters picked up on site.

load of tape and wax sticky fingers and fibreglass to produce this cull section.

here is the cill section offer up against the car in the garage

being such a mild evening on Wednesday we decided to cut off the old cill and see if the planned cill section would work.

with some moulding fettling filler etc etc we think it will.

Can't hide it any longer and sorry LL but here is the revised rear end in it's early draft stages a "Bob tail"

and again

and again from the other side showing the ressed cill section which will be on both sides

and now for a radical shot of the back

I like to think we have enhanced the coke bottle flow over the front wing across the doors and over the rear arches and these next two photos show that that Gary's DNA lives.

The Bob tail is not going to be as abrupt as shown it is still going to have a rounded end but we have taken at least 150mm out of the rear length and swoop up the line from the back of the rear wheel arches to the rear cill so it doesn't look as bulky

back to the garage for another six months to make good on these idea and see if we can actual mould all these sections together, started with filler now so it could come together over the winter.

Waiting to see pics of the Gazdavies G46 have a good weekend to all at Exeter

Good to see WCA on four wheels again and good to see the doctors have a good prognoses for a minuet there I though you were going to have to fibreglass the old foot back!
Old 26th October 2012, 20:51

two photos did not come out on the last post