Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 29th August 2006, 20:19
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Useful document for Type-R builders

I've been searching for wiring information to assist with my plan to wire in the Civic EP3 instrument panel, and I happened across this very comprehensive document.

So far it seems a great deal better than the Honda service CD, and is certainly better from a wiring perspective as it gives plug letters and pin numbers.

Hopefully it'll prove useful for the k20a2 builders.

Cheers,

John.

http://johnscustompcs.com/03rsx-s/HELMS_RSX.pdf

[it's ~40mb, and contains 1500 pages of information]
Available from eBay
Old 1st September 2006, 20:48
Enthusiast

craig is on a distinguished road

John, do you think it will be of a similar level of difficulty to wire in the type r clocks as the Rover ones as I have both in my garage?

The civic clocks would defo overcome the rev counter problem and they look the business aswell!

Craig

Ps Do I need the civic fuse/relay box from under the bonnet or not?
Old 1st September 2006, 20:59
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

Craig,

As far as I can tell many of the simple dash features (low oil pressure, MIL, indicators) are straightforward 12v connections. For the rest of the functions (coolant, door ajar...) there is the CANBUS wire and it goes between the instrument cluster, multiplex (built in to the under dash fuse/relay box), and ECM (what Honda call the engine management unit).

I have got the wiring sussed, as far as physical connections go, I now need to butcher the loom and give it all a try..... hopefully without popping anything crucial.

As for whether you need the multiplex unit I do not know for certain. There is continuity between the plug coming from the ecu, and the instrument cluster, via the multiplex, but I strongly suspect the 3 units chat to one another, and collectively work as a security system. I've encountered the same with VAG cars, where the ECU and instrument cluster are paired, and one cannot be used without the other, unless the ECU is hacked.

My personal opinion is that I can definitely make it work, as I have *everything* from donor, but it's whether or not I will encounter problems if I try and streamline the wiring to avoid sticking xxkg of kit in the car.

I almost neglected to answer your first question. It'll be harder to wire the civic dials in, but to use the rover dials you'll need either Marlin's widget or a Hondata k-pro mod for the ecu. Naturally there is an advantage to opting for the hondata at this stage, if you're planning to 'charge the engine.

As Marlin's widget is £350, and Hondata is £700 (ish), I'm going to spend a bit of time seeing what I can acheive. I really don't want to use the Rover clocks, and a decent digital dash is of the order of £700, so I'd rather avoid that too.

I'll keep you informed of my progress.

John.