Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 15th June 2006, 07:55
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road
Default Heater eyeball vent holes.

Hi everyone.

I got the heater kit from Marlin. Heater adapter and hose to joint to the eyeball vents. I drilled the holes in the dash as per Marlin's pictures (200mm apart and 200mm from the windscreen edge.) But there nowhere near! Ok can get round the problem by getting some more 65mm flex hose, but just wondered what I did wrong and if anyone else had the same problem?

Heater seems to be in the correct position.
Available from eBay
Old 15th June 2006, 08:01
Enthusiast

marlinturbo is on a distinguished road

their "manual" is wrong...:-(
i very nearly did the same but i thought i'll just check...good job too...
Old 15th June 2006, 09:13
Enthusiast

MikeN is on a distinguished road

Gent's this is the job that I will be starting myself in the next few weeks. Can either of you please do me a favour and be a bit more specific on how the photo's are wrong and what the correct dimensions should be. Also I am wondering why haven't Marlin issued a correction!

Regards

Mike
Old 15th June 2006, 09:30
Enthusiast

Hi Mike.

On the Marlin CD, there is a picture:

I did this to the letter (and result looks like this picture. But the heater is nowhere near. The dimensions from the windscreen area out is ok. But it's if the holes are too wide apart. Best to measure as John did, and measure the distance from a centre line. For example the top bolt that holds on the front "V" frome.
Old 16th June 2006, 09:07

daftbadger@hotmail.com is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

I had exactly the same problem you had. I figured seeing as marlin provided a photo showing exactly where the holes were supposed to be in the dash that there was no way i could go wrong so i drilled them before double checking. When i put the dash in i discovered that not only were they nowhere near the pipes coming up from the heater matrix but also that one of the holes is partly obstructed by a bar on the chassis and so i couldn't fit the vent in at all. So this stopped me from just putting in longer pipes from the heater! I've ended up cutting new holes in the correct place and having to fill in the old ones with the bits i cut out & lots of fibreglass and filler! Now i've painted the dash i can't get the finish to look really good so I'm probably going to have to fit some attractive trim to cover up the problem area.
Old 16th June 2006, 13:18
Enthusiast

tomboysexi is on a distinguished road
Default The Marlin Test

Whoever thought that the Marlin manual would be accurate! I think that this was a deliberate attempt by Mark to test us builders! A challenge, making us come up with different ideas once we had drilled the holes in the wrong location.

John I am surprised that after seeing my ‘quick fix’ you made the same mistake and after seeing it through SVA too.

For those who are not familiar with my car, I actually found the hose to be close but had to cut a second hole which merged into the first hole. So that presented a problem 1 how to fit the ‘eyeballs’ and how to tidy up what was now a mess.

As I had already purchased a turbo boost gauge and a mounting pod, I found the base of the ‘pod’ was able to hide the mess and as a bonus the internal shape turned the air through 90 degrees. What a surprise when the ‘eyeballs’ fitted the gauge housing!

So I have 3 housings on my dash, one pointing at me with the boost and 2 facing away at the screen and I must say they do an excellent job.

Regards to all builders

Trev
Old 16th June 2006, 13:39
Enthusiast

MikeN is on a distinguished road
Angry

Thank you one and all. I was just about to make a mess off my dashboard!

Have any of you contacted Mark at Marlin to tell him his 'Manual' (what a joke) was wrong?

Regards

Mike
Old 16th June 2006, 13:53
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomboysexi
John I am surprised that after seeing my ‘quick fix’ you made the same mistake and after seeing it through SVA too.
Hi Trev.

When you said you drilled the vent holes in the wrong place, I did not dream it was because of incorrect picture infomation.

I need to phone Terry up so I'll mention it to her.
Old 16th June 2006, 15:51
Enthusiast

i sent them an email yesterday about this issue!
let's see the response...

john
Old 19th June 2006, 10:56
Enthusiast

tony-g is on a distinguished road

hi all

can i join the ( I DRILLED THE HOLES IN THE WRONG PLACE CLUB) I thought it was because the 200 coupe heater was different. Had to fibre glass in the holes and redo. Its the ony dimension in the manual !!!!

regards

tony g
Old 20th June 2006, 14:40
Enthusiast

Ok people. After discussing with Steve, I think I've found my problem. The holes appear as picture above. And heat top vent is as per Marlin's picture's. But the hose supplied is 3" lond. Steve's was a good 6" long. So I've got hold of some more hose and that will be my nrext thing to do.

Another question. does anybody know if the 800 is different to the 200? If so that could explain the wrong measurements above.
Old 20th June 2006, 15:36
Enthusiast

Mark has sent me a corrected drawing...
The dimensions on that picture are meant to be to the Centre of the hole not the outer diameter...can anyone confirm this?

John
Old 20th June 2006, 16:16
Enthusiast

Right just had a measure.

The problem is 2 things:

1) The dimensions between the holes are wrong. The adaptor plate holes for the heater are 120mm from centre to centre. So I would have thought if there were 150mm - 170mm apart instead of 200mm (can't test so can't verify), it would be ok. The dimensions from the front edge of the dash to the vents are ok.

2) The hose supplied was way to short. Mine was 2.75" - 3" long. Steve's was a good 6" long. Double the length.

Hope that helps.
Old 21st June 2006, 14:55
Enthusiast

Ok found out what needs to be done. If you go by marlins diagram above, you just need some flexable hose. One is 19 rings( Not sure what those things on the hose are called) and another 15 ring rings. I got the hose while I was down at Newark. Test fitted all ok. I originally had hose of 8 rings way to short.