Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 4th December 2013, 17:18

zagmad is on a distinguished road

other alternatives is to paint the seal gloss black so your eye is guided to the lines of the masser shape at the top. then add a chrome trim round the top of the door line and along the windscreen and round the convertible hood area. some massers have a silver colour in the headlight area brings attention to the shape of the light area. just idea's. deviant art did a pic.
Old 4th December 2013, 17:39

the pic was of a 300s. headlight area was black and the wheels had black spokes with chrome lip.
Old 4th December 2013, 18:34

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

zagmad - link? or is it one of the ones I found on Page 2 or this thread?

Back to the filling the holes question - Any reason not to simply use patches of glass matt and resin bonded to the cleaned metal rather than P40? The holes are set back into the sill a bit so I could cut cirlces of matting slightly larger than the holes and then slap the resin on them to bond them in place.

Hoping to get some of this done tomorrow so much advice welcome

[edit]

This picture?

Last edited by WorldClassAccident; 4th December 2013 at 18:38..
Old 4th December 2013, 19:08

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

Come to think of it WCA, that's the best idea yet, that will work and be (messy) but relatively easy.
Old 4th December 2013, 19:20

Viatron is on a distinguished road

To be honest if you just want to fill the holes get some sheet fibreglass laid up and cut discs from it then just glue them in using PU adhesive ( the stuff they fit body kits with)
Old 4th December 2013, 20:30

The Shadow is on a distinguished road

WCA . You should attack it in your useual fashion , which I love by the way so don't take affence at this ! why don't you break of some crusty Tescos bagettes in the holes and stick some fablon over it. quick bit of humbrol airfix paint and the job is as me old dad would say , a good un
Old 4th December 2013, 22:20

Photos tomorrow...

...Regret never!

I will also post pictures of my passenger side wing mirror adoption that works on the motorway
Old 4th December 2013, 22:28

froggyman is on a distinguished road

If you fill or fibreglass the sill areas your MOT man may think it is a dodge to cover up corrosion. I would cover it to save any possible future hassle.
Old 5th December 2013, 09:11

Right, first conference call of the day gave me a chace to prepare a reference photo for project completion. Hopefully I will have time to do some of the work in the coming weeks, work and weather permitting.

I am planning to get the paint done professionally and the wheels powder coated nicely in the new year which means I can try different things now to see how they look safe in the knowledge that they will get painted over properly later.

I am still undecided about whether to fill the sill holes or panel over them so will leave that for the moment. I will try a few of the quick cosmetic bits in the gaps in work I have today. The plan is:

1 - Side exhausts given and extra paint coat in black and reattached
2 - Headlight bowls in black
3 - Possibly a grille emblem
4 - Possibly some silver paint on the wheel rims
Old 5th December 2013, 11:43

garyh is on a distinguished road

And a fly screen...
Old 5th December 2013, 11:47

Fly screen...

... there are certain constraints. Plus having been the victim of the sperate bird strikes I am nervous without a full screen
Old 5th December 2013, 12:44

DSG4ME is on a distinguished road

Hi there WCA,

Your car is looking great. I understand what you mean about having a full windscreen instead of a flyscreen, where you would also lose that all year round practicality. I have seen a Z3 with a chopped windscreen and it didnt look too bad, but could only be used on a nice day.

A few more little touches and you are nearly there.
Old 5th December 2013, 13:17

garyh is on a distinguished road

Screen surround, black? wasn't you going to do that... it would help make the car look longer.
Old 5th December 2013, 14:03

Screen surround, black? - tried black in a photo mock up and it made the windscreen surround look very thick as the glass has a black border, then the black rubber strip and a black metal surround on top was too much

The original plan was chrome wrap which is currently out of budget but after the powder coating for the wheels and the proper paint job...

Last edited by WorldClassAccident; 5th December 2013 at 14:32..
Old 5th December 2013, 16:36

That's the pic. Gives a few ques to what chrome bits could use to keep it period but not over the top. Could as k Chris to mix yours with it to see how it looks. The new mini has chrome detailing rat the bottom of the windows to give an idea of modern use of chrome. Just ideas to combine the style of the 300 and the introduction of the hood and screen so it blends well.
Old 5th December 2013, 16:39

Work stop play for most of the day but managed to get a few bits done. Lots of time spent being blown about by the gale which meant I kept shuffling one end or the other into the garage as I worked on it.

I painted the headlight bowls black. The problem wasn't dust particles in the paint it was leaves and twigs!

Chrome highlights around the main grill and on the top of the bonnet vet

I fixed some mesh over the hole in the boot panel. I would have painted it black but I had put the brush I was using in the thinners by then.

I also fitted the fog light behind it and temporarily wired it in. Permanent wiring will be done when it is not dark, raining and blowing a gale.

Quite please with progress. Suprised what a difference the chrome grille surround made although the photos don't really show it.
Old 5th December 2013, 17:27

Looking good wca. Sorry bout the lack of pictures not sure how to add them
chrome details on grill work well.
Old 5th December 2013, 19:24

y cymro is on a distinguished road

Hey Nick, the photo of the two cars together shows what an excellent job Tribute made of your car. I do like the candy red of the other car but it must have cost a fortune. Am loving the details you're adding to make it your own. Nice job.
Steve
Old 5th December 2013, 19:35

BazMason is on a distinguished road

The chrome grill surround looks good mate, nice and subtle, classy!
Old 6th December 2013, 13:10

I have decided I will try to make a panel to cover my sills. I originally thought to just get a piece of metal sheet with the edge folded over. I decided this wouldn't work because of the number of bends and curves required.

The green in the picture below is the panel required. It runs flat along the side of the car and curves under the bottom the of the car. The black lines are my attempt to show the extra curves required. At the front it bulges out to let the side pipes out and at the back it curves out to match the wheel arch flare above it.

I haven't played much with making glass fibre panels but what I have learnt so far is that the molds need to be strong enough to support the glass while it goes off.

I am struggling to work out how I can mold this as a single piece. I am guessing I can make it in several pieces and then stick them together. I am now going to scour the garage / house for suitable things to make the molds out of.

My level of expertise is minimal. Last time I used cling film to line the mold which actually worked quite well but I also discovered that the mold deformed when I rested it on the floor.

Any hints, tips of advice welcome.