Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Old 26th June 2014, 06:58

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Hammy - As you've asked for feedback, here are a few of my thoughts (for what they are worth)...

You might be able to remove "Replica" from the title of this thread if you use the "Edit" button on your first post.

This is what sums up your project for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy View Post
... its just supposed to be a modern take on a great old historic and poignant piece of Chapmans work ...
This is effectively the Tribute Automotive philosophy and yet even they still get comments about their cars not being perfect replicas.

Which leads me to this great quote about trying to build a Countach...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecymru View Post
... I now know that i don't want another "replica". Now please don't get me wrong i'm not slagging replicas off in any way, not in a million years! Neither am i criticizing any of the guys who have replicas of Lambos / Ferraris / Lancias etc... But having owned this MasterCo i have realised that for-me, at this point in my life, one of the things i enjoy most about the whole Kit Car "experience" is having something that i can do whatever i want to with, tinker with, redesign etc.. without having some say "that doesn't look right" ...
So there will always be people who have got something negative to say, but who cares about them?

You are "saving" this car from a life in the undergrowth, this is surely a good thing, so do what you want with it.

Personally, I took a lot of confidence from the fact you cut the whole car in half with out hesitation.

As this made my removal of the scuttle area on my Cordite look like a minor scratch by comparison.

Finally, I had taken a copy of this photo for a reply I will be making on my own build thread later today...

I am calling this the supermarket car "test".

If your finished car is parked next to anything "modern", it will stand out from the crowd for all the right reasons.

So build the car you want, to the best of your ability and the limits of your base car, then enjoy it.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 26th June 2014, 07:08

Hammy is on a distinguished road

Great post Paul, thanks for your encouragement
Old 26th June 2014, 09:01

garyh is on a distinguished road

I like the straight edge of the door on the MR2 and the roof looks better.But i like the square edges of the door on the Mazda...
Old 26th June 2014, 09:12

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Esprit convertable in the background isn't bad either
Old 26th June 2014, 11:11

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
I like the straight edge of the door on the MR2 and the roof looks better.But i like the square edges of the door on the Mazda...
I agree with Gary. They each have positives. The hip line on the original is very distinctive and it would be nice to try to maintain this in some way.

I can see cooling being a challenge with the MR2 option.

On a slightly different level, the MX5 was a modern-day successor to the Elan, so a Mazda Europa would be quite a nice tribute (with a small t).

Finally, the colour will make a massive differene. It's a rare car in that red just doesn't suit. A period colour will make a big difference.

Keep going, Hammy. It's great that we have the chance to have this discussion.
Old 26th June 2014, 12:46

slickshod is on a distinguished road

Hi Hammy ,if it's your interpretation of the Europa ,based on a modern , go for it ,it will only succeed if it looks proportionally right ! ,might look better based on the Type 62 .
Old 26th June 2014, 13:43

wayneb1408 is on a distinguished road

Hi hammy. Replied to your mmessage.will have a chat. I would go down the thought of the mx5 and put a modern twist onto the Europa shape. Like they did with the etype to mark it's anniversary.
Old 26th June 2014, 14:07

JPS black and gold...
Old 26th June 2014, 14:29

Its a shame the MX5 has that curved top of door, as the Lotus is very angular.
Old 26th June 2014, 15:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
Its a shame the MX5 has that curved top of door, as the Lotus is very angular.
I'm gonna work on that
Old 26th June 2014, 18:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford1360 View Post
I agree with Gary. They each have positives. The hip line on the original is very distinctive and it would be nice to try to maintain this in some way.

I can see cooling being a challenge with the MR2 option.

On a slightly different level, the MX5 was a modern-day successor to the Elan, so a Mazda Europa would be quite a nice tribute (with a small t).

Finally, the colour will make a massive differene. It's a rare car in that red just doesn't suit. A period colour will make a big difference.

Keep going, Hammy. It's great that we have the chance to have this discussion.
Thanks mate and you're right about the mx5 and elan. The ps image looks like an elan front and europa rear..... mmmmmmmm a Euran, Eulan or Elopa lol
Old 26th June 2014, 21:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy View Post
A nice inspirational image....

Modified....

Is it just me or does this rear diffuser look like and 80s hot hatch front bumper mod that had fogs in in?? Looking at the number plate maybe a veedub? Or maybe Renault 5 gt turbo?
Old 26th June 2014, 22:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneb1408 View Post
Hi hammy. Replied to your mmessage.will have a chat. I would go down the thought of the mx5 and put a modern twist onto the Europa shape. Like they did with the etype to mark it's anniversary.
Yes you have a similar mind to mine mate, when things can end up like this why does everything have to be a replica and why do people who say that always have bushy grey beards

PS and BTW apart from being a huge Lotus fan, I believe that the above is quite possibly the best looking car in the (current) motoring world. God if Foose could do an E type then that would be it Im sure.........

Last edited by Hammy; 26th June 2014 at 23:14..
Old 27th June 2014, 10:40

Default more photoshop

Thanks again to DGS4ME I have another image with better lines. Definitely going to be mazda now. The image is good but on the actual build I will pull the nose out and down a bit
Old 27th June 2014, 18:48

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

I like that a lot - especially with the prospect of a slightly longer nose. And, that's one hell of a boot space.
Old 27th June 2014, 18:54

The die cast I have had on my shelf for many years is becoming a constant point of reference, this explains what I meant in my last post about stretching the nose a bit.

Getting quite excited about this project now and thanks to all for your feedback. May have to start another thread as I cant change the name from replica which it clearly will never be but should be a great looking little car.

A couple of badges I already had, irony of the eu in eunos or fate??? Maybe some nitrous (NOS) too???

Cheers all!
Old 27th June 2014, 18:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford1360 View Post
I like that a lot - especially with the prospect of a slightly longer nose. And, that's one hell of a boot space.
Thanks mate
Old 29th June 2014, 18:49

Default Angry grinder

2 more hours with my most used tool recently, the angry grinder was out again with a vengeance. Being very careful and drawing on my memorys of my MX250 GTO build and what the clams looked like I got stuck in...

That'll be me then with said tool when my mate came round to fetch his jetwash and was trying to comprehend what the hell I am doing and if as a mate he should have me sectioned........

Whilst deconstructing the shell I have been mindful to cut and save any difficult profiles that may come back and bite me and make me think 'God I wish I hadn't hacked that to death and jucked it in the tip'

Started on the front clam and got well stuck in....

Now mindful of the weak points in the shell I have it propped up on a pallet to relieve any unecessary pressure. Note my Tribute Kobra donor in the back ground which for now has turned in to my daily driver, why not 2.8 straight 6 and the sun is shining!
Time to pack up and go out for lunch with a gorgeous young lady.... livin' the dream boys!

Some of the valuable booty to get on ebay. I'll be keeping the hinges though as they are very expensive to source flat hinges of the size. Another lesson from the 250 build. Cant believe these lights are £195 each from SJ sportscars!

The best part of todays work was removing the rear bumper and realising the bodywork underneath has the exact bumper profile. Bumpers wont feature in my build so that will save loads of work and gives me more valuable ebay booty! Speaking of which I toyed with the idea of 911 headlights and a mate came up with a cracking idea of the 993 lights. Well at £400 a pair 2nd hand that's a big risk and then I found a set of scratched 993 lenses on ebay for £40 and I was the only bidder! Maybe I'll have to make two of these, one classic based on the mk1 mx5 and one modern street racer on steroids!!! Am I getting ahead of myself? YEP but its the enthusiasm and final vision that always grabs me and gets me motivated.

All for now lads! Cheers for reading so far.

Hammy

Last edited by Hammy; 1st July 2014 at 21:20..
Old 30th June 2014, 06:29

Default Mmmmmmmm

Loverrrrrly!

Who says thing have to be exact replicas?
Old 1st July 2014, 21:03

Default Donor

1800 Donor sourced and picking up tomorrow nice and local..

Trust me the photos make it look 50 times better than it is......

But it does have 10 months MOT and mechanically and structurally is sound. Half hour tonight with the angry tool and the rear is quartered...

Now my friends and neighbours that weren't already questioning my sanity are definitely now for sure! The donor has been lowered but not enough yet but gives me a start point before I spend any money, also has a very doggy state hardtop which I reckon will come in handy to do the door window and windscreen profile.

Last edited by Hammy; 1st July 2014 at 21:05..