Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 14th June 2012, 19:48

Alpha is on a distinguished road

Looking brilliant now! What colour are you planning for the 'pod' and dashboard?

Baz from Brussels
Old 14th June 2012, 19:54

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Dash and pod will match the rest of the car, which is going to be silver. I won't be putting a padded 'eyebrow' over the instrument cluster as the 550 dash isn't quite the same shape as the 356 pictured above, and it wouldn't really work. Upholstery will be dark red.
Old 15th June 2012, 12:03

Some progress on the dash this morning. After cutting the passenger side end down to pretty much match the driver's side I was left with a gap this big -

After a bit of chin rubbing it occurred to me that the ends of the original Spyder dash panel appeared to have a similar curve to the face of the 550 dash. After the Spyder dash gave up a suitable chunk it fitted almost perfectly -

Out of interest, you can see where I'd marked out where I'd planned to put the gauges on the original dash. It wouldn't have looked right though as they'd have all been too low and I'd have had to modify the frame anyway.

It's now all bonded in with this stuff which really is like fibreglass welding (so long as you put the catalyst in ) -

I'll leave that to set off overnight now and I should have a nice, one piece dash in the morning.
Old 15th June 2012, 12:21

garyh is on a distinguished road

Is it a bugger to sand? I like seeing how you do all this bonding stuff, very educational. I think Gary and Mike should do an instructional video on how to fill or make bits.
Old 15th June 2012, 13:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
Is it a bugger to sand? I like seeing how you do all this bonding stuff, very educational. I think Gary and Mike should do an instructional video on how to fill or make bits.
I'll let you know about the sanding in a day or two. So far, I've only used the bonding paste to reattach the discs I cut out of the gauge pod when I decided to move them up an inch. I used quite a bit of catalyst and it set in about four hours. I was then able to cut the holes in their new positions without the old discs dropping out and I can't physically snap the newly cut discs through the old cut lines now matter how much force I use. If nothing else, the bonding paste is bloody good glue.

I have to say I'm really enjoying modifying my dashboard and the general level of 'hands on-ness' necessary to build a Sammio. I wonder how many Caterham builders would be prepared to take an angle grinder to their bodyshell?
Old 15th June 2012, 18:01

GazDavies is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
I have to say I'm really enjoying modifying my dashboard and the general level of 'hands on-ness' necessary to build a Sammio. I wonder how many Caterham builders would be prepared to take an angle grinder to their bodyshell?
I know exactly what you mean. Just reading about your dash I was getting jealous and remembering how much I enjoyed these parts of the build.
Old 15th June 2012, 18:43

Not much I could do to the dash while the bonding paste sets on the passenger side so I decided to make up some brackets to mount the wireless.

I thought long and hard about whether to fit such a modern device in my car, but the reality is that I'm planning to go touring in it so I'd like some music while I cross continents, and I'll also be wanting something to do while I wait at the roadside for the RAC to show up...

I looked at a few options - original Blaupunkt radios rewired for connection to an mp3 player and American 'RetroSound' units that are designed to look really old for example. I didn't like any of them though and they were all too expensive for what they were. I eventually found a Clarion model that's so modern it actually looks rather retro, if that makes sense -

I can already hear the sharp intakes of breath from the Sammio traditionalists, but I rather like it, so it's staying.
Old 16th June 2012, 13:20

garyh is on a distinguished road

I don't suppose you could spray it to match colour of car?
Old 16th June 2012, 18:12

davecymru is on a distinguished road

A wireless audio device in a Sammio!

I'm not sure what i think of this unusual mod.
Now i wonder when my Raspberry Pi will be turning up so i can figure out how to hide it and the touch screen in mine
Old 16th June 2012, 19:09

mulberry is on a distinguished road

clarion ??? is that some sort of anti radar device.......just dont tell PLOD ....haha
Old 17th June 2012, 06:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
I don't suppose you could spray it to match colour of car?
Not if I want it to work...
Old 20th June 2012, 12:22

The Porsche 550 dash is now bonded in. It just needs blending in with filler to smooth it into the screen frame and into the 'door' panels.

I've also finished off my seat belt mounts. I've welded the brackets for the female connectors to mount on to the seat runners and decided to go with brackets welded to the frame for the bottom mounts. This was because when I trial fitted the bottom mounts to the other end of the brackets fitted to the seat runners, the belt kept snagging under the seat. It would have quickly frayed them and been a problem, hence moving them to the frame.

I spent the rest of the morning making up a template for a luggage bay liner. I had planned just to use a bit of rubber mat for the floor of the bay, but once I got started I couldn't stop and now the whole bay will be carpet lined.

At least that'll stop my Louis Vuitton baggage getting scratched...

Last edited by Mister Towed; 20th June 2012 at 12:26.. Reason: image faff
Old 20th June 2012, 12:30

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

I hear that an old rabbit hutch makes a great luggage bay. The thumb-twist catch makes it very secure.
Old 20th June 2012, 13:19

davecymru is on a distinguished road

That dash is looking really nice! I especially like the way that the ends curve under, that'll look "well posh" when finished.

One suggestion i would make based on my driving experiences so far is to use bonding paste as much as you can to stop things moving about when driving and to just use very thin layers of filler on top in order to give things a bit more strength to try and resist cracking.
I only mention this as I am getting a growing list of minor cracks and marks that i'll be addressing with a respray after i rebuild the engine over the winter.

"luggage bay"! just cram it all behind your seats!
Old 20th June 2012, 13:51

Yes, I'm very pleased with the dash. I know what you mean about the bonding paste vs filler. I've used a nice thick layer of it to stick the new dash on top of the original and it feels rock solid. The filler is only going in to blend the step between the edge of the dash and the inside of the screen frame so it shouldn't crack... I'll also be putting a layer of fibreglass matting inside the dash over the fillet piece I've added to widen the dash. This is to add strength as at the moment it's only held together with a thin layer of bonding paste at the butt joints. I know that isn't strong enough as I dropped the dash while I was fitting it and those joins all failed and had to be redone.

I'm quite pleased with my luggage bay, but you're right Dave, there is loads of room behind the seats for squashy bags too. I'm looking forward to taking it touring.

Last edited by Mister Towed; 20th June 2012 at 23:13..
Old 20th June 2012, 18:44

Alpha is on a distinguished road

I am very impressed with the level of detail you are putting into this build, how much effort you are putting into getting every single detail right straight out of the box.

About the potentially fraying seatbelts, most people would have thrown it together any which way, and deal with the consequences later!

Congrats on that, and I am really looking forward to the end result!

Baz from Brussels
Old 20th June 2012, 19:09

Thanks Baz I'm flattered that you like my detailing. This is a one-off build for me so I want everything to be 'just right'. It's a satisfying process, but it also explains why I'm six months behind schedule...
Old 20th June 2012, 19:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford1360 View Post
I hear that an old rabbit hutch makes a great luggage bay. The thumb-twist catch makes it very secure.
Actually, that's a good idea. The rabbit could provide another layer of security and rip the throat out of anyone who tries to steal my luggage...
Old 20th June 2012, 19:16

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Six months behind schedule is ahead of the game mate.

My start date in November had an Easter drive off date in the plan. I haven't got as far as collecting the body work yet.

I reckon 8 months in and I am seven months behind schedule.
Old 20th June 2012, 23:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident View Post
Six months behind schedule is ahead of the game mate.

My start date in November had an Easter drive off date in the plan. I haven't got as far as collecting the body work yet.

I reckon 8 months in and I am seven months behind schedule.
Ooh, bad luck. Mind you, I made damned sure I got the bodywork in the bag early on having had a kit manufacturer go bust on me while I was stripping the donor twenty odd years ago. Anyone remember the Covin Speedster?