Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 1st June 2006, 16:44
Kit Car Dreamer

Bruce is on a distinguished road
Default Front anti-roll bar

I found links for the front anti-roll bar on e-bay they are for aToyota Celica

Item number: 4542114560

I bought a couple and they fitted pretty good just needed a washer on the wishbone to make room for the nut.

I also noticed that Merlin motorsport do anti roll bar clamps which are basically a hydraulic pipe clamp, so if you go down to your local hydraulic engineering company you should get them a lot cheaper.
I got a pack of 5 from RS Components including mount plates, top plates and bolts for less than a tenner.
I did have to make a plate to mount them on to the chassis

http://www.merlinmotorsport.com/inde...e32b247b16e4ef

I put on 2 at each side which is the same width as the original bmw rubber but may prove to be too hard but it will be easy enough to remove 1.They may wear out quicker than rubber but at 10 quid a time I'll live with that.

I have photos of the above but haven't a clue how to post them
Available from eBay
Old 28th June 2006, 07:21
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Good tips there thanks I'm looking over what to do with mine at the moment
Old 28th June 2006, 19:14
Kit Car Dreamer

Bruce is on a distinguished road

hello guys
I also have the same problem as you(Patrick) with the rear ARB hitting the chassis. I saw on e-bay a pair of Z3/compact ARB links which look like they have the same ends as the E30 only shorter.(to be verified)
Did you have any trouble getting your front wing brackets to fit?
On mine the rear of the bracket is hard against the tyre when the front is still about 2-3 inches above the tyre at the front (and that's with the standard bmw 15 inch wheel) and there's only about 2mm clearance between the bracket and the balance weights.
I may try making my own unless you can point out what I'm doing wrong.
As regards the SVA does the front of the tyre need to be covered by the wing or can it be like marlins' demonstrator with the wing set further back and the tyre the front most part of the car?
Old 28th June 2006, 19:28
Enthusiast

I installed a rear arb on my brothers compact last weekend, it is indeed a decent amount shorter than the E30 ones. I've got a set on order from Motormec - Im hoping these will allow the links to clear the chassis as the suspension compresses - before the links hit the chassis before the trailing arms hit the bump stops

As for the front I've only got the BMW brackets - these slot in one end and bolt up on the other. I've not worked out how to do that one yet. I've check both E46 & E36 front brackets that bolt both sides but these are to wide by about 5mm. I've not had them on with the wheels in so I can comment on that yet. I have bought some front ARB links off Stuart that orginally came from Marlin but I've not had time to try those yet. I think that I could probably use the standard BMW ones, but they wont look as nice. The other issue I think is that there would be too many sharp edges for SVA - so Im going to leave the front bar off for that.

Not sure on the front wings and SVA - Stuart would be the best person to ask as he's gone through SVA with his Sportster recently. Mark seems to be able to get away with quite a lot with SVA's though.

EDIT: Here's a piccy:

Old 28th June 2006, 21:54
Enthusiast

Stuart is on a distinguished road

Tyre can be in front of wing. The SVA states that the wheel rim must be rearward of the front edge of the wing. As for the front/rear anti roll bars Marlin now say they are not neaded and i must say that mine dosnt have them fitted and i dont have any handling problems at all. My advise would be to not fit them and see what your handling is like also as Patrick says if they are not fitted it will reduce sharp edges at the test.
Old 28th June 2006, 22:07
Enthusiast

OT - I got the links today thanks Stuart Doesn't look like i can use them in the rear, but will give them a go on the front The E36 compact ones look like they will work in the rear