Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 27th November 2006, 21:28
Enthusiast

bigrich is on a distinguished road
Smile Water Pump Advice...

Hi all,

I'm normally on the 5exi forum pages but thought I'd post an advisory notice on here for all you BMW engined sporsters.

I have an E36 320i BMW (1996 vintage with 122K on the clock...just run in!)

Yesterday while driving along I noticed the heater stopped heating in the car and started to blow out cold air...this was accompanied shortly afterwards by the temp gauge hitting the red. After letting it cool down I tried again....same result.

Anyway....after limping home & a bit of thinking I reckoned the water pump had failed. Bought replacement today and changed said pump...all now OK.

Basically the plastic pump impeller used on the early M50 / M52 6 cyl engines is prone to degrading over time and eventually just falls off the shaft...effectively rendering the pump useless.

....the moral of the story......if your using a straight 6 BMW engine in your sportser change the water pump when you recon the engine.

Rich

P.S. Even after overheating slightly on 122K the head gasket still seems OK....good 'ol BMW reliability.
Available from eBay
Old 28th November 2006, 10:47
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tip, I've just swapped the pump on a M52B28 in my brothers car - the original plastic still looked fine but feel much better with the metal one in there now!
Old 30th November 2006, 07:42
Enthusiast

Rich is on a distinguished road

The guy that sold me the above described engine said that he had a 2L m52, when he swapped his water pump it was missing part of one of the plastic blades!