Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 7th February 2011, 11:37

morris is on a distinguished road

I'd guess with the power to weight ratio on the average 2.5l powered sportster, any 0-60 times will be purely down to the skill of the driver to get the power down as I imagine the backend doesn't stay very still if you push too hard. would be interested if anyone has every done a timed run somewhere though. I had an E46 M3 for a day a while back and that was the best car I'd ever driven for the smile factor. I hope the marlin 2.5 even in a detuned state will achieve similar if not better as the power to weight is higher still
Old 7th February 2011, 18:00
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

As long as the road is dry I get loads of grip from the 205/60R15's

In the damp however it's quite amusing, put your foot down in 2nd or 3rd and you end up not going anywhere fast. It's very stable though, doesn't really move about too much. I have an LSD which helps
Old 8th February 2011, 05:05
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

It's good to see some new builders appearing. And look forward to seeing some progress posts.
Old 13th February 2011, 15:39
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnic View Post
Will speak to Marlin re M3 E36 engine set up, as this would be my absolute ideal scenario!!!

Rob
One of the other kit car companies using BMW donors is GKD.

Two or three guys are building M3 based GKD Legends.

It might be worth having a look through some of their build posts on the GKD fourum.

One example caught my eye.......

http://www.gkdsportscars.com/gkdoc/f...php?topic=11.0

I also think I spotted an M3 donor car outside Marlin's workshop, so I'm guessing they are building one them selves for a customer.
Old 14th February 2011, 21:18

Bobnic is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the link Peter, looks like the M3 may not be such a daunting task maybe??? Unfortunately they seem to go for way above any budget my Dad and I have set ourselves, so have a feeling we will probably end up with a 325 M50 based engine (scared off the M52 by all the previous threads about the ECU from hell!). BTW is it better to have with or without Vanos variable timing on the M50/M50TU ?? Does anybody have any advice please. My gut says with Vanos for smoother power delivery, but have heard about problems with the vanos unit,seals/reliability etc...
Old 14th February 2011, 21:35

morris is on a distinguished road

vanos engine is the better one but the non-vanos will be simpler to set up timing if doing a rebuild. The non vanos version was only around for a short time so you may have trouble finding one. Hard enough finding an M50 full stop, that's why I ended up getting an auto as a 85% donor
Old 23rd February 2011, 19:19

Right, Donor sourced. !!!A 1994 M3!!! 3litre, 5speed, 100k on the clock, that needed work to get it throught it's MOT. Cosmetically and mechanically very good, will be able (hopefully) to claw back the overspend on the donor budget with the sale of the excess parts, leather interior etc.... I apologise in advance to some of you who may think this sacrialige, but it was at a good price and it's hopefully gonna make one hell of a "Sportst3r" (as it may well be christened). Hoping to get the build underway by early/mid April so time to strip and sell the bits unrequired, and get the garage cleared, tools assembled, stock up on tea bags, change for swear box and grecian 2000!!! :-)
Old 24th February 2011, 21:28
Enthusiast

That sounds a great donor find.

Are we going to see some pictures..........??
Old 24th February 2011, 21:52

Hi Peter, Would do but don't really have any of worth at the mo, the car is in storage at the moment, will be out in the fresh air in a few weeks, ready fror stripping, will post some piccies then if I can work out how to post them on here!
Am really excited that we found an M3, looks like it's been well looked after, after, old Mot's etc, FSH, only a few owners from new. Was in need of some suspension bush replacements, 4 new tyres and a few other fiddly bits for it's Mot, so was too good an opportunity to miss. Forget to mention, it's also a convertible!! So the roof/motors etc alone should fetch a few quid to refill the empty coffers! Hopefully getting the kit from Marlin by early/mid April, then the postings will really begin. I feel I may become the bane of a few of your lives, as I'm a newbie to kit car building, but have plenty of enthusiasm and a Dad who spent his life in engineering. So many ears will be bent by the time the car is reborn I'm sure!
Old 30th March 2011, 23:02

We got back From Crediton tonight with a VVlong wheel base van containing lots of lovely oily engine/gearbox lumps, chassis, body panels, front and rear axles, wheels and many more little nuggets. Me and the old man broke the M3 down @ Marlin, as we stored it with them at the end, Ebay is now my wife/mother/other suitable nagging appendage at the mo. Will try and post some pics soon, but just taking in the enormity of the challenge, first job, clean up the donor bits paint and stroke them and then the real work begins. Garage smells of tranmission fluid/hydraulic oil/petrol/WD40 and many other beautiful things, don't think the wife will agree though, but Hay Ho, gives her a new topic to berate me about! :-)
Old 31st March 2011, 07:36
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Well done. I find the smell of diff oil particuarly pleasing. :-)

You do know you'll

a) Never have enough room
b) Never be finished
c) You won't give a damn about a & b.

Old 31st March 2011, 21:45
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnic View Post
We got back From Crediton tonight with a VVlong wheel base van containing lots of lovely oily engine/gearbox lumps, chassis, body panels, front and rear axles, wheels and many more little nuggets. Me and the old man broke the M3 down @ Marlin, as we stored it with them at the end, Ebay is now my wife/mother/other suitable nagging appendage at the mo. Will try and post some pics soon, but just taking in the enormity of the challenge, first job, clean up the donor bits paint and stroke them and then the real work begins. Garage smells of tranmission fluid/hydraulic oil/petrol/WD40 and many other beautiful things, don't think the wife will agree though, but Hay Ho, gives her a new topic to berate me about! :-)
Great to hear that your build is now truly underway.
Sounds like you've got lots to sort out if you've bought the chassis and all the body panels. You need to store the body panels somewhere safe and out the way as you won't need them for a few weeks
You can get a free Flickr account up to something like 200 pictures and then it's quite easy to embed a BBCode link into this site.

Great to see another new Sportster build underway!!
Old 31st March 2011, 22:31

NigelB is on a distinguished road

Peter,

I don't want to hi-jack this thread but I've often wondered how to add pics from my Flickr site and I'm not familiar with a BBCode. Is there an explanation somewhere of how to use them.

Nigel
Old 1st April 2011, 06:08
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Or photobucket does the same thing. Seems like unlimited photos.

Goto www.photobucket.com
Click on sign up in the top right hand corner. Once you have signed up, in future, you will click login next to sign up.
Click the green upload button. Then select the green select photos and videos.
Select you photo
Upload more files or save and continue
The hover the mouse over your picture.
There's a box that says IMG code. It will be something like[IMG]http......
Click on the [IMG]http and it shoud say copied.

Now in you mad about bix where your typing, right click your mouse and select paste.

It will past the [IMG]http.. from earlier.

From here you can click preview post or submit reply.

Sounds complex but I have list every single little step. It's really easy.
Old 3rd April 2011, 08:43
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelB View Post
Peter,

I don't want to hi-jack this thread but I've often wondered how to add pics from my Flickr site and I'm not familiar with a BBCode. Is there an explanation somewhere of how to use them.

Nigel
I'll write up some instructions later.....

...peter
Old 4th April 2011, 18:49

Not sure I've done it right, but here goes!

IMG_3208 by Rob and Dad Sportster build, on Flickr
Old 4th April 2011, 19:46

Hi Rob,

I'm trying to see what's behind your donor in the picture.

Did you notice the shell of a Dark blue L reg 3 series Coupe there.

Or perhaps its in front of yours.............

Nigel
Old 4th April 2011, 20:18

Hi Nigel, I think there was a green 3 series (325 i think?) behind our M3,and then a dark blue M3 behind that, both L reg if my memory serves me right. Will check any other photos I didnt upload to Flickr for you. The shell your donor's by any chance?? Lol

Rob
Old 4th April 2011, 20:22

IMG_3193 by Rob and Dad Sportster build, on Flickr

Nigel, this photo shows the nose of the (325 I think it was) on the right hand side, by looking at the photo I think that one was blue and the othe M3 was green now, hope this helps.

Rob
Old 4th April 2011, 21:57

Rob.

Yep. That's my donor.

It's been there since September 2010 so must be pretty much a shell by now.