Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 18th September 2013, 11:15

chaterpedal is on a distinguished road
Default fastenings

my sportster bonnet has a full length brass hinge held by lots of fasteners, these have a round smooth head and are hollow a nut is fitted at the back, I need to remove all these to separate the 2 halfs for a paint job, how does one remove them ? a small spanner will turn the nut but the whole lot turns and no way of holding the head. any advice?

Last edited by chaterpedal; 18th September 2013 at 11:17.. Reason: spelling
Available from eBay
Old 18th September 2013, 13:15
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Are the screws not just cap head with a hex hole for an allen key? That is what most people have used. With the smaller cap head screws the hole often looks round but if you look carefully it is probably hexagonal.

Robin
Old 18th September 2013, 14:34

Default fastening

many thanks, the heads are slightly raised, circular, flat top with no aperture for any tool, the head incorporates a washer, on the other side the bolt is hollow and is held with a small nut, looks like I may have to drill up in to the hollow taking away the thin metal which would allow the nut to drop and that would allow the head to be removed.
Old 18th September 2013, 15:15
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Very strange. I don't think I have ever come across anything like that before. Before you attack them with the drill have you tried turning the nut to see if the head turns with it? I suppose they could be tiny coach bolts incorporating a flat to stop them turning - but I don't think I have seen any small enough to use with the bonnet hinge.

Robin
Old 18th September 2013, 20:41
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

This is interesting as I plan to fit smooth top screw/rivets (though not hollow).
My plan is to use a piece of pliable rubber to hold the screw under thumb pressure whilst tightening with a spanner.

Perhaps you could try the reverse to get yours off. The secret is finding "the right type" of rubber which when pressed hard against the rivet is grippy enough to stop it rotating. Pressing hard with your thumb should then do the trick.

Mike
Old 19th September 2013, 11:20

Default fastenings

SOLVED, managed to speak to terry Dutton who built her, special from the aircraft industry, titanium, the hole in the bolt is a tiny allen key which holds the bolt while tightening the nut.
Old 19th September 2013, 11:29

AlanHogg is on a distinguished road

I was just about to reply when I noticed you had solved your problem. There are also fasteners used in the marine industry which are similar and I believe are called internuts. They are often used on cabin windows when you don't wish to have unsightly nuts on the inside
Old 19th September 2013, 12:33
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHogg View Post
I was just about to reply when I noticed you had solved your problem. There are also fasteners used in the marine industry which are similar and I believe are called internuts. They are often used on cabin windows when you don't wish to have unsightly nuts on the inside
Alan

It appears the modern meaning of Internuts is quite different - Google it and see what it comes up with!

Mike
Old 19th September 2013, 19:37

AlanHogg is on a distinguished road

Mike
Now there's a surprise!
What I meant to call them was interscrews or socket screws. Lets hope that doesn't throw up any unusual hobbies