Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Old 14th May 2017, 13:09

Spillythekid is on a distinguished road
Default Jba falcon

Hi everyone, this is my first post .... I was practically given a jba falcon on Friday , its 90% finished ,it has (bear with me now ) a black top zetec engine ,stand alone fuel injection ,a type 90 gear box ? It starts and stops although very lumpy at idle , my question is ,is it worth carrying on with it and getting through the iva or is it more trouble than it's worth thanks in advance
Available from eBay
Old 14th May 2017, 21:53

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Spillythekid - Welcome to the forum.

Just so you understand the maths of kit car building...

90% complete = Just 50% to go.

I don't know much about that kit, but you will find some IVA details for it here:
http://www.jbaoc.org.uk/iva.html

I'd suggest making a "To Do" list first and then deciding if you think it is worth continuing.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 14th May 2017, 22:53

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

Think the gearbox is Type 9 ? One issue with IVA is convincing the powers that be (DVLA) that it it an amateur build - You may have to disassemble it whilst taking photos of every step in order to convince them. Do you have original receipts? they like those - maybe I'm paranoid but I got the impression that a kit car builder is a 'thief' until proven otherwise. VOSA (for the IVA check) was a pleasant experience by comparison, very professional yet friendly.
Old 15th May 2017, 12:25

Thanks for the replies, I have quite a few receipts for the build including original bills from when the previous owner purchased the kit , also there is a few pictures in different build stages although not many , I have possibly everything needed to finish it , carpets ,trim,roof dials and switches etc , it's just the more I read into the Iva test the more it scares me especially as I haven't built the majority of it and from what I can gather jba no longer exists I do however think it would be a shame not to put it on the road as it's quite a nice looking car , if I could work out how to put pictures on this thread you could see the amount of time and effort has been put into it already
Old 15th May 2017, 12:48

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spillythekid View Post
Thanks for the replies, I have quite a few receipts for the build including original bills from when the previous owner purchased the kit , also there is a few pictures in different build stages although not many , I have possibly everything needed to finish it , carpets ,trim,roof dials and switches etc , it's just the more I read into the Iva test the more it scares me especially as I haven't built the majority of it and from what I can gather jba no longer exists I do however think it would be a shame not to put it on the road as it's quite a nice looking car , if I could work out how to put pictures on this thread you could see the amount of time and effort has been put into it already
IVA isn't to be feared from my experience. The test guys are sensible, and (on the whole) the rules are as well. Just go through it with a fine toothcomb, and beware of some peoples' perception of it (eg you DON'T need to have daytime running lights). Main things seem to be lighting angles (esp side repeaters) seatbelt attachments and heights above seat pad etc. Straightforward as long as you read the requirements. In case you don't know the manual is available online. JBA are still around (in Norfolk) but any assistance for an older model may be limited.
Old 21st May 2017, 14:46

Default Jba falcon

Ok so I've decided it is worth it to get back on the road , I've gone through everything I have to complete the car , the engine is a 2001 Zetec black top coupled with the type 9 gearbox, it's got the alpha pro 4 turnkey tuning ecu with the stand alone fuel injection and twin throttle bodies and twin weber filters , Its been sprayed already has all the dials , trims , dash, carpets and roof , I've had an auto electrician look at the wiring he said it's 95% done just needs final connection to dash and a few sensors , and I've had a friend who does mots check everything out and has said everything looks well built. I was given a huge bag of things containing an iva rubber kit ? Bolt covers of multiple sizes, all paper work to go with the car ,build photos and receipts and all this for under £200 !!! I think I'd be daft not to put in a few weeks worth of work to get it completed , I'll keep you all updated on progress and any problems I encounter hopefully someone can point me in the right direction
Old 22nd May 2017, 14:11

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
… all this for under £200 !!!
Can I just check I’m reading that right, the whole car was under £200?

In which case, you are definitely doing the right thing spending some time to finish it.

Quote:
… iva rubber kit ? Bolt covers of multiple sizes
There are lots of car parts you need to cover/protect with rubber to pass the IVA.

This thread has a lot of practical examples of how the test works in practise, so well worth a (very long) read.

http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/top...gh-biva-405393

Good luck, Paul.
Old 22nd May 2017, 15:26

Yep you read that right £200 all in 😁 Thanks for the link I will take a look at that now to see what exactly I need , I'll keep you posted on how it progresses
Old 21st May 2018, 22:30

Pete is on a distinguished road

Hi Spillythekid,
You have a real bargain. I have a Falcon which I am rebuilding.
Best place for information is at the JBA enthusiasts site.
JBA.org. You will get a warm welcome and your questions will be answered.
I joined this forum just to reply to your post but now I will continue to visit.
Hope to see you on the JBA site.
The Falcon was originally built near Wigan and is now made in Norfolk and based on BMW components. Bill Wilkie is the boss and is very helpful even for Ford based kits.
ATB
Pete.
Old 17th September 2018, 21:54

Top dog is on a distinguished road
Default hi

hi,
i have a falcon almost complete ,house move meant she went into storage for the winter ,interior to finish ,how hard can that be lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0080.jpg (95.6 KB, 17 views)
Old 17th September 2018, 22:25

Dpaz is on a distinguished road

Go for it ! If we weren't mad we wouldn't be here
Old 17th September 2018, 22:54

Pete is on a distinguished road

Ok Spilly, you should do it. I paid £4k for what turned out to be a pile of junk. I've since spent another 3k on bits and pieces. The car is now not even a rolling chassis but at least it was road legal. The problem for you is the IVA but all cars eventually pass.