Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 2nd May 2016, 13:46

ChrisS is on a distinguished road
Default Simtek Logic 10

Getting a bit ahead of myself here but was wondering if anyone has any experience of using Simtek control modules?
I spent some time with them yesterday at the show and their solution of a solid state control unit replacing fuses and relays seemed a good way forward. Also has the advantage of being able to reuse modern steering column switches, designed for logic control, and different lamp loadings.
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them before I jump in with both feet when the time comes.

Last edited by ChrisS; 2nd May 2016 at 15:16..
Available from eBay
Old 3rd May 2016, 19:46

mcramsay is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a good idea, especially if you are using the e39 switches as they don't switch relays as older switches do! But for 30 quid you can get. Around that by mixing and matching parts from the e36 column on to the e39... Well that's what I did and it works!
Old 3rd May 2016, 20:40
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

His Chris,
I've no experience but I did read a review in Complete Kitcar magazine. Despite the enthusiastic review it did leave me wondering if this isn't overcomplicating what only needs to be a fairly simple kitcar loom. It's also adding significant cost for something that is not really a problem.
I'm not yet convinced.....
Peter
Old 3rd May 2016, 21:44
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
His Chris,
I've no experience but I did read a review in Complete Kitcar magazine. Despite the enthusiastic review it did leave me wondering if this isn't overcomplicating what only needs to be a fairly simple kitcar loom. It's also adding significant cost for something that is not really a problem.
I'm not yet convinced.....
Peter
Maybe it depends on what donor you are planning to use?

The current Sportster uses the rear of an e39 5 Series. So if you could use the steering column from that by making use of the Simtek kit perhaps it then makes more sense?
If you are starting with the Sierra as a donor, with its ability to switch everything through relays, then I guess its a lot more questionable?
Old 3rd May 2016, 21:51

mcramsay is on a distinguished road

I just looked st the price and my jaw dropped! A good universal wiring loom and a few more to the e39 column will get the whole car wired for much much less. I used rapid fit looms which come with a prewired fuse box and relays, and then mashed together an e39 and e36 column so I could retrofit the e36 switch gear to the 5 series column. The only cost was a second had e36 column for donor parts. Would happily do this mod for you if you post the bits to me.
Old 4th May 2016, 08:01

ChrisS is on a distinguished road

Thanks all. Yes it is expensive and my decision will be , heavily, influenced by how my budget is going at decision time.
The ability to use the e39 switchgear isn't anywhere enough on its own to justify it. But going back into my dim and distant motoring past I have have enough issues with fuses and relays on production cars to give it an appeal.