Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Old 20th March 2011, 13:48

waynesworld is on a distinguished road
Default A quick hello form a newbie :)

Hi folks, i have just joined up in the hope to maybe build a kit car of some sort, a bit up in the air at the minute but i have always liked the westfield type but all are considered realy, i used to own the `Build your own for under £250` book i think by Ron Chapman, my that was a while back, i think prices have changed since then LOL.

I am fine with mechanics etc as i used to build 4x4 off roaders and fix cars etc etc, what i ma doing at the minute is getin gmyself a new work area sorted as i had to get rid of my garage, wasnt impressed atall, sodding council, so now i will be outside in the elements but i plan to get a marquee type, well i have designed my own so its foldable to keep the toffs happy.

I could babble all day but lets get to what i am lookin g at and if you can let me know what you think.

Lets say for starters, as i will be a build as i go budget, i was thinking building my own chassis from scratch, as in LOCOST type.
Engine...well i love the Colonge V6 in any type, maybe the 24v cossie, to big and heavy?
Running gear? help pls, guess it will depend on a few things like how it will be used.

Well i would like a road and track car, but i have dealt with the IVA etc and i think it would be easyer just to go track, i will have a read through this site to see how it works with kit cars.

Anyway HI again and if anyone wants to say Hi and give me a nudge in the way to go i would be greatfull.

wayne
Available from eBay
Old 20th March 2011, 16:59
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Hi Wayne.

My thoughts when building mine, was there was going to be a far amount spent on the car. So I did not want just a track day toy. Wanted to use it on the road as well.

Don't let the IVA put you off. Yes it's a pain. But it's an extra pair of eyes to go over the car to make sure it's safe.

Engine wise. Have what ever you fancy. Especially if you making all the mounts etc yourself. Depends if you fancy a four pot or a V6.

If you going 4 pot, bike or car? Your choice.

Here's my suggestions.
BMW 4/6 pots. Already rear wheel drive. Sportsters use these.
VW/Audi 1.8T. Rear drive Audis for example should make good power.
Old Fords now have been used. But might find the parts harder to get as time goes on.

Have a look on the Caterham and Westfiled sites. See what drive trains they are using. Might be able to buy mounts etc from them.