Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 4th September 2014, 20:04

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post

THE 1.9 IS SHIT

Damn, couldn't help myself

;-)
Old 4th September 2014, 20:45

Ollie is on a distinguished road

You know, sometimes i get the distinct impression that WCA doesn't really like the baby beemers.......
Old 5th September 2014, 07:20

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post

From talking to Chris and Dan at Donington it won't be their panels that need cutting up, but the donor Z3 needs some, ahem, adjustment with a lump hammer to squeeze it into its party frock.
Something must have been lost in translation at the show Dave, the only modification to the Z3 base car, apart from stripping off the outer panels of course, is to cut off two small brackets from the front grille area. I will post up some pictures when I have them.

An interesting point with the taller profile tyres that are fitted to my SWB is that it corrects the over reading on the Z3 speedo, according to my GPS, almost exactly.
Old 5th September 2014, 09:45

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute Automotive View Post
Something must have been lost in translation at the show Dave, the only modification to the Z3 base car, apart from stripping off the outer panels of course, is to cut off two small brackets from the front grille area. I will post up some pictures when I have them.

An interesting point with the taller profile tyres that are fitted to my SWB is that it corrects the over reading on the Z3 speedo, according to my GPS, almost exactly.
Oops, didn't mean to muddy the waters there and I stand corrected.

As for the speedo error, from experience of checking uncalibrated speedos on a lot of cars against laser speed guns (100% accurate), almost all read around 10% higher than actual speed, so 70mph is actually 63 and 100 is 90. A 10% increase in rolling diameter on the tyres will take out this error and that's exactly what happened with mine. Just bear in mind that if your speedo under reads significantly you'll probably pick up points from average speed and Gatso cameras.

This tool is useful to work out what tyres will fit and how they'll affect the speedo -

http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/vis...ize-calculator
Old 5th September 2014, 10:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident View Post

THE 1.9 IS SHIT

;-)
This one sounds nice (with the stereo turned up).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOZEmywf91A

Enjoy...
Old 5th September 2014, 11:05

puma931 is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know the paint code for the silver car? The origibnal car below looks good in red.. Has Chris published a price yet?

http://www.kidston.com/kidston-cars/...Ferrari-250GT#
Old 5th September 2014, 11:22

casamolino is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by casamolino View Post
Mister Towed having looked at your previous work a SWB built by you would be something to look forward to , i think i have just seen the colour for my car , thanks Geoff .

Slver was yesterdays colour! today i am going for Red! tomorrow who knows , Geoff .
Old 5th September 2014, 12:47

Danny_HUFC is on a distinguished road

must agree with how painfully slow the 1.9 is...
Old 5th September 2014, 16:25

zagmad is on a distinguished road

Is that because the bm weighs quite bit or is it just the gearing. Possibly it needs a turbo :-)
Old 7th September 2014, 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident View Post
must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post, must not post

THE 1.9 IS SHIT

;-)
Might have found the perfect donor -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2715972152...84.m1423.l2649

Three litre manual of course, as I hear the 2.8 auto is, well, shit.
Old 7th September 2014, 11:55

Danny_HUFC is on a distinguished road

smart alloys, you may be able to fetch a few £ back on them.

I still think the best tip for buying a z3 is to buy in Jan/Feb when the prices hit the lowest!

Also I've found people seem to sell cars cheaper on www.gumtree.com, not sure why though but they always seem cheaper....
Old 7th September 2014, 13:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_HUFC View Post
smart alloys, you may be able to fetch a few £ back on them.

I still think the best tip for buying a z3 is to buy in Jan/Feb when the prices hit the lowest!

Also I've found people seem to sell cars cheaper on www.gumtree.com, not sure why though but they always seem cheaper....
Yep, will be aiming to get as much back as possible from selling off the redundant panels/wheels/interior so a mega cheap donor could be a false economy.

With the Vitesse I used for my Spyder I got more back for the spare parts than I'd paid for the whole car in the first place. £££!

Really hoping to find a 2.0 or a 2.2 with a/c, when the time is right, but won't walk away from a 1.9 if the deal is too good to pass up.

I've done a bit of research on the perceived weakness of the 1.9 (M44 16v) on t'internet - it seems its flywheel is too heavy to allow it to spin up freely and the inlet tract is too restrictive to allow enough air to flow for it to develop any more power above about 5k rpm.

On the plus side, with half decent maintenance they last 200,000+ miles, will return 35mpg and would cost pennies for me to insure. And with a car as good looking as the SWB I'll want to go a bit slower to show it off anyway.
Old 7th September 2014, 13:20

zagmad is on a distinguished road

So ,with a lighter fly wheel possible different cams and a sports filter and turbo charger/intercooler with the lighter engine could be a good option :-) oh brain wave how bout a mini cooper 1.6 engine with the turbo. Lighter more bhp. Better mpg.
Old 7th September 2014, 13:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagmad View Post
So ,with a lighter fly wheel possible different cams and a sports filter and turbo charger/intercooler with the lighter engine could be a good option :-) oh brain wave how bout a mini cooper 1.6 engine with the turbo. Lighter more bhp. Better mpg.
Will it fit? By that I mean does it just bolt up to the z3 gearbox?

Having read up a bit about the 1.9 motor, most forum contributors just recommend buying one with a six in it in the first place if you want more than 140bhp, as engine swaps will quickly soak up the gdp of a small country.

This type of car really should be about more than just going fast though. If you want fast you could always pick up an M3/Evo/Scoobie/Skyline for similar money. It won't make you feel anywhere near as good as driving a SWB with even a humble 1.8 under the bonnet though.
Old 7th September 2014, 15:36

DSG4ME is on a distinguished road

How about fitting a V8 Corvette engine in a Z3 ?

Old 7th September 2014, 18:50

Just been looking at that possibility -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytjLO1Xf_h0

Wouldn't exactly be cheap though...
Old 7th September 2014, 19:24

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

Wouldn't be very light either, I would guess the handling would suffer on twisty roads, be okay in a straight line though.
Old 7th September 2014, 21:46

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Ls7 is light than the BMW straight six 2.8 I checked.
Old 7th September 2014, 22:12

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

The LS7 is a seven litre engine, and the totally dressed engine weight is given as 497.2 lbs or 226 kilos, and that is without the gearbox. I would have thought that the BMW 2.8 was a bit lighter than that?
Old 13th September 2014, 07:59

Still musing over the side window treatment I'm afraid. Rather like the way these two Ferrari's have theirs at Goodwood:

Simple 'hatch' on perspex runners -

Slightly more elegant solution on this one, the forward section slides back and the rear section is shaped to accommodate it. Viewed from above the rear section is 's' shaped in the fashion of the lapel badges on an ss officer's jacket, allowing the front section to overlap without going too far back -