Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 9th April 2004, 22:08
Enthusiast

dylanp is on a distinguished road
Default Steering Column

Have you guys fitted the steering collumn yet?

I put in on the car a few weeks ago (without the pedals or servo in place) and it seemed to fit without any modifications (from a Rover 216).
Now that the pedals and servo are about to go on I realise that those instructions to cut bits, extend, etc... were there for a good reason...

Has anyone got any photos that show how the bloody thing is supposed to look when its on the car. Or better still some step by step instructions would definitely earn a pint of your choice when we all meet up in our 5Exis... (call me thick but I just can't work it out from Marlin's photos)

Cheers,
Dylan
Available from eBay
Old 10th April 2004, 09:23
Enthusiast

Ex-Biker is on a distinguished road

Dylan

If it is at the universal joint that it is catching the pedals, it is possible to shortan the column.

To do this, place the steering wheel end on the floor and tap the rack end with a mallet. It might need a firm tap to start it.

If you do go too far it is possible to pull it back out using a vice or something.

Hope this solves you problem.
Old 10th April 2004, 11:39
Enthusiast

tony-g is on a distinguished road

hi dylan
I expect you like me received the later type progresive quick rack which does not need to be cut down. the colum fits straight onto the rack and secures using the colum pinch bolt. The only adjustment required is as exbiker said is tap in the compression tube to fit colum
Old 11th April 2004, 10:13
Enthusiast

dylanp is on a distinguished road

I think I must have the later type cause it literally went on without any problem at all (didn't even have to shorten the collumn).

In fact it was soo simple that I started thinking that it was too simple to be true and I started questioning whether I've done it right...

However the fact is that the steering wheel turns the rack ends left and right so I guess I can't ask for more?

Cheers for setting my mind at ease...

Dylan
Old 11th April 2004, 10:38
Enthusiast

tony-g is on a distinguished road

after your posting I had a bit of a closer look & refitted the colum. I then noticed that when the brake pedel is fully depressed it will foul on the lower steering colum UJ this would be a SVA test fail. It looks like the newer rack splined connection does not sit in the middle of the vertical uprights. it is biased to the driver side. So it is closer to the clutch pedal. looks like some adustment to the pedals will be needed.

tony gigg
Old 12th April 2004, 21:48
Enthusiast

holgate86 is on a distinguished road

The bottom uj needs to be removed and the lower part of the inner column shortened, it is just about the length of the spline you cut off, when the lower uj is refitted there should be a distance of 50mm from uj to uj. It will require pinning or welding as you have no spline. The column i have is from a 25 with power steering and the bottom uj is no good because the diameter of the rack spline is too big. i'm fitting the quick rack which has the shortened drive spline but if you have the metro rack i believe that needs shortening as well. hth. brian