Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 19th May 2008, 19:20
Kit Car Dreamer

paulsul is on a distinguished road
Default Sva Pass

Hi Guys
SVA pas first time today in Cardiff.
Not off to a great start when the engine boiled during the emission test (the dreaded air lock to the heater). this wouldn't have been so bad but the stupid PLASTIC domestic heater pipe joining two hoses near the engine actually split open. I think alloy mods will be fitted. A shame that these are not supplied with the kit!!!!! The tester was fantastic and he allowed me to go and get a length of pipe from a local plumbers merchant and then fit it to the car. He did all his measurements etc whilst i was gone. A couple of points raised by him. He did not like the fact the shocks are upsidedown but said if anyone asks him, they were the right way up in the test. He asked me to remove the access plate under the tunnel to have a look and decided that it was a waste of time. It was the first 5exi he had done and the first kit car with ABS. Although i had spaced the back lights out from the body, he was not happy that he could see them at 80 degees from the side. He allowed me to space them a bit more and passed it. What a GUY. The weights Marlin give are way out. Mine actually weighs 740kg.
Next task is to register it. Does anyone have the gen for me to go about it? How long does it take?
Sorry for the long thread but i am CHUFFED

Cheers
Available from eBay
Old 19th May 2008, 21:37
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

Well done - it's a good feeling!

What engine is in yours? I ask, as my Honda came in around the same weight, and that's with a fairly extensive amount of additional bracing scattered around the car.
Old 20th May 2008, 06:49
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Hi Paul.

Well done Paul. Sounds like you had a common sense examiner. Good to hear.

That's around the same as mine the weight. Mine I think was aroung the 750KG mark (T series).
Old 20th May 2008, 16:53
Enthusiast

eaa53 is on a distinguished road
Default Not finished yet!!!

Paul

First of all well done on passing the SVA.

Some pictures would be nice to encourage us 'still building' types along, I got two wheels on my 5exi, and I’m still rolling...

Second DVLA

This link is the essence of Colin Usher's excellent build of a Robin Hood this is Section XXV The SVA Test .. and after... The whole is worth a read and I admire the tenacity of the Colin to build and produce the site.

http://www.colinusher.info/Robin%20Hood/sva.html

quote'''
4) Ring the DVLA on 0870 850 0007 You will be presented with a range of seven options, one of these options includes kit built cars. You will eventually get through to an (automated) operator who will take your postal details and send you an information pack on the procedures to be followed. This usually comes by return post. To save time you can do this prior to the SVA.

5) The information pack comprises no less than ten documents:- INF26, INF54/1, INF148, V55/4, V55/5, V100, V149, V355/4, V355/5, V627/1. The important document is INF26. Guidelines for the registration of rebuilt or radically altered vehicles and kit cars. Read this carefully. There are two forms requiring completion. V627/1 Built Up Vehicle Inspection Report and either V55/4 or V55/5. INF148, V355/4 or V355/5 gives guidance on completing these forms. The V55 forms require, amongst other documents, a successful SVA test certificate. The V55/5 and the V627/1 Built Up Inspection Reports are the two applicable to most Robin Hoods.

end quote'''

I have just applied for my Hood to be registered and I found visiting the DVLA local centre for advice and checking of the application time well spent, (hour and a half each time).

In brief you need...

Invoice for the kit chassis
Invoice(s) for the major components that are new
One component may be refurb'd and with an invoice
SVA 'tertificate (they keep the original so copy it if you want to frame it)
V55/4
Built up inspection request (not a VIC)
Valid insurance or a cover note
About £150 for all in with 6 months tax.

They will inspect the car and based on that inspection (and all the evidence) choose the year it was completed.

If you have the invoices for all the major components you should get a new reg. i.e. 08, if not you may get the donor age related reg, fail to prove the age of most of the bits and you get a Q.

Hope that helps, and you thought the build was difficult....

eaa53
Old 20th May 2008, 22:02
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsul View Post
Hi Guys
SVA pas first time today in Cardiff.
Not off to a great start when the engine boiled during the emission test (the dreaded air lock to the heater). this wouldn't have been so bad but the stupid PLASTIC domestic heater pipe joining two hoses near the engine actually split open. I think alloy mods will be fitted. A shame that these are not supplied with the kit!!!!! The tester was fantastic and he allowed me to go and get a length of pipe from a local plumbers merchant and then fit it to the car. He did all his measurements etc whilst i was gone. A couple of points raised by him. He did not like the fact the shocks are upsidedown but said if anyone asks him, they were the right way up in the test. He asked me to remove the access plate under the tunnel to have a look and decided that it was a waste of time. It was the first 5exi he had done and the first kit car with ABS. Although i had spaced the back lights out from the body, he was not happy that he could see them at 80 degees from the side. He allowed me to space them a bit more and passed it. What a GUY. The weights Marlin give are way out. Mine actually weighs 740kg.
Next task is to register it. Does anyone have the gen for me to go about it? How long does it take?
Sorry for the long thread but i am CHUFFED

Cheers
Congratulations, well done!
Old 21st May 2008, 13:23
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Well done
Old 21st May 2008, 19:20
Enthusiast

DavidH is on a distinguished road

congratulations. well done
Old 22nd May 2008, 17:05
Kit Car Dreamer

paulsul is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all for the good wishes and the info on DVLA registration.
I have put the 1.8 VVC Rover K Series into it which does seem to be very potent.
I am not a great tech wizard on the pc but will have a go at posting some pictures.

Cheers

Paul
Old 22nd May 2008, 19:12
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

Paul,

Don't worry about the DVLA process - it really isn't very difficult. My process was only complicated because I didn't have the V5 for the donor, only the VIN. I had to wait for someone at Swansea [my local office is B'mouth] to accept I should get an age-related plate, but once that was cleared, it all went smoothly.

The DVLA form is not any more difficult to fill in than the SVA form. If you really want to be sure you get it correct first time, you can always fill it in at your local DVLA office with their assistance. You shouldn't need it though - the instructions are simple.

John.
Old 22nd May 2008, 19:36
Enthusiast

Stuart is on a distinguished road

Just one thing to add I had to get my Sportster MOT'd before they would acept the registration documents.
Old 23rd May 2008, 05:04
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Just one thing to add I had to get my Sportster MOT'd before they would acept the registration documents.
It seems it depends on who you speak to at the DVLA. The local office did not need it. For me or Merlinman.