Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 2nd December 2011, 16:44
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default Ken's Marlin at Castle Coombe

I subscribe to the Castle Coombe pictures on Flikr and just spotted these...
IMG_0203 by Castle Combe Circuit, on Flickr

Supercar Saturday (48) by Castle Combe Circuit, on Flickr

Nice pictures...
Available from eBay
Old 16th January 2012, 20:06

KrazyKen is on a distinguished road

Just logged on and noticed the pics, thanks for posting them up.

The new front dive plans coupled with boxing in the space between the front spoiler and the floor of the car have made a substantial difference to front end grip, turn in and erradicated high speed lift at the front. To be fair the high speed lift was contributed to by the high spoiler and downforce at the back.

Nice to see my line through Camp Corner on the 2nd pic with 2 wheels inside the white line and clipping the apex just right. I was probably doing around 90mph through there to carry the speed onto the main straight through Folly up Avon Rise and onto the dreaded Quarry Corner. On a good day I do not brake until the top of Avon Rise which leaves me just enough room to brake and get round Quarry but its cheek clencing stuff!

Thanks again for posting up the pics.
Old 16th January 2012, 21:02
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Hi Ken.

Do you have any pictures how you did the front end?

Pictures look great. Need to get some in car video.
Old 16th January 2012, 21:12

KrazyKen is on a distinguished road

Hi John

I dont have any pics and my car is currently at TD having the chassis painted and a winter overhaul. The dive planes were designed by Dave Cooper and made by Eddie Ruskin of Dynamic Mouldings. Dave Cooper also worked our what needed boxing in under the front, I sourced the plastic from warrens in Bristol for about £20 and Dave Gallop at TD did the work after Dave Cooper had been through it with him.

The plastic flexes allowing the front still to hinge but goes back into shape when the bonnet is lowered back into place. I just use a broom handle as a bonnet prop while it is up. John Dry has the same dive planes on the front of his 5exi as we went halves on the design work. It will be interesting to hear Johns experience of the difference the dive planes make, although I an not sure if he has boxed in the front to smooth the air flow under the car.

When I did a track day at Donington it rained in the afternoon and the dirty water marks certainly showed a lovely arc over the front wheel arches where the dive planes were doing their job.
Old 16th January 2012, 22:05
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKen View Post
Just logged on and noticed the pics, thanks for posting them up.
Glad you enjoyed them!!
Old 17th January 2012, 08:49
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

Prior to fitting the dive planes my car was already more boxed in at the front than Ken's car, but his is now more boxed in than mine from what I understand.

At the same time as fitting the dive planes I also acquired some Dunlop slicks, so it's hard to be certain what effect the dive planes have had. The front end feels more positive at speed on the road, but is perhaps placebo. Maybe I will try swapping them on and off at the next track day.

My car's problem presently is all the grip means I have insufficient braking and I desperately need harnesses! Both on the to-do list this winter.