Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 6th July 2018, 09:52

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road
Default 250 SWBc version 2

I have bought a second kit from Chris, this one is going to be built up with my son who has just finished Uni, or at least that was the idea. He has had a job interview up in Scotland so if he gets it the build will be tricky to say the least.

Not going to be a full build thread but just a few hints and tips also highlighting any changes in the kit from the last one which was a very early one.

First Impressions

Kit seems to be far more refined, the panels have a gloss finish apart from the doors. The doors are much better finished and look as if they will fit much better.
The bodyshell is considerably lighter than the first one so the bonnet should work fine on the standard bonnet rams.

My first kit was finished in white gelcoat which was mainly matt, it was an absolute pig to see how the sanding and finishing was going, the new one is in grey and is nice and shiny, this makes any ripples and imperfections much easy to see.

My son wants to keep his car on the road as much as possible so it is going to be built up on another donor which I am meant to be doing the Daytona on. The idea is to get it all fitted to my donor and then swapped over to his car.

The clams are in the back garden and we made a start on the bonnet. I made the mistake of the first build of filling the gaps on the bonnet mould lines before sanding them down. This was wrong as the bonnet just needed sanding down and no additional filler was needed.
We sanded down all the bonnet flash lines with 120 grit electric sanders, followed by a quick pass with 200 grit. I then used my polishing mop with some G6 compound to bring the shine back to the shell. This allows you to see any imperfections that need any extra work.
You can buy 5 meters of 120 grit velcro paper for £11 on eBay, as soon as it gets smooth replace the paper, it makes the job so much quicker. You can reuse the old paper later as it will the be more like 200 grit.
It took my son and myself an afternoon to sand down all the bonnet mould lines and then polish them. Almost no filler will be needed.
On the last shell I had it put in an over to check for air pockets, only found one. This time the shell has been sitting in the garden for 3 weeks as I have been away on holiday and because it has been so hot I will not bother with the oven.
Old 8th July 2018, 10:34

Default Door check strap packers

With the Z3 doors you will quite easily see that a small section of the front wing mounting bracket needs to be removed. About 3" at the door end. What is not so easily seen is that the leading edge of the door at the top will hit the bonnet hinge. With the bonnet open there looks like plenty of room but when the bonnet is closed the hinge moves backwards so that when the door is opened it hits the bonnet hinge but only when the bonnet is closed. I couldn't work out why the leading edge of my door kept on chipping.
I fitted a hinge packer behind the check strap, this limits the door opening slightly stopping it from catching. You can of course make your own packers but I have seen some where the door opening is so limited that you have to squeeze in.
I have had some laser cut and powder coated for my new build, easy to fit, remove the pin that holds the check strap onto the car and then remove the 2 bolts holding the check strap on. Slide the packer in and bolt back up. A thin x-head screwdriver helps to align the holes. Simple and it works.
I have had a few of the packers made, if anyone wants a pair they are £14 inc UK P+P

Last edited by Jaguartvr; 8th July 2018 at 12:41..
Old 17th July 2018, 21:29

JBXF is on a distinguished road

Hi Jaguartvr
I am interested in buying a pair of door check strap packers.
Please contact me 079 8585 9000
Old 18th July 2018, 12:54

hacker is on a distinguished road

Hi Jaguartvr
I will be interested in a pair as well thanks
Richard 07894910913
Old 18th July 2018, 18:04

JBXF & hacker, both sent
Old 18th July 2018, 20:41

hacker is on a distinguished road

Excellent, the first part of my components for the 250. I have a 3.0 auto donor with air con just need to place an order for my kit.
Old 23rd July 2018, 17:14

Egdik is on a distinguished road
Default Meeting

Hi Jaguartvr

Trying to get this meeting off the ground . . .

Hi Tribute owners,

Wednesday July 25th 7pm

We are thinking of meeting up at the West Lodge Park Hotel, Cockfosters Rd, Barnet EN4 0PY near Junction 24 on the M25.

Hopefully to meet at about 7pm for a social coffee and chat.
Old 24th July 2018, 07:19

Sorry but won't be able to make it but have a great meet.
Old 11th December 2018, 16:20

Default New Boot Hinges

I don't like the exposed boot hinges and Chris hates making the interior hinge bracket assembly, so I have come up with an alternative. Just hopes he remembers this when he prices up my wide body Z3gato bonnet

Lip and return made to take original Z3 boot hinge, it will have the struts attached but still mocking up.

Opens nicely without catching.

Fist fit, still needs fettling for the gaps but a job for another day as I'm losing the light.

Genius even if I must say so myself. I will also be cutting the rear panel as before to enlarge the boot area so that a full size spare wheel can be carried in
case of a puncture.
Old 11th December 2018, 17:41

Barber is on a distinguished road

Nice one, good not to have the bar across the top of the boot. How robust is the fixing, and do you get lateral movement on the lid when closing. You don't want to be mashing the paint job there as well. ��
Old 11th December 2018, 17:48

Seems fine at the moment but I intend to put a metal plate behind it for additional strength.
Old 20th December 2018, 05:32

nzidol is on a distinguished road

Yeah I did the same thing on my build, the gas springs do a good job of keeping the lid open in any position. Only drawback is that any rain water will run down into the boot...
Old 20th December 2018, 10:00

Good point on the rain water, not that we get much here!
When the gas struts are fitted the boot won't open so far but a tray fitted under the rear lip could be fitted with a couple of drain holes.
Any pictures/info on your build?
Old 21st December 2018, 00:53

nzidol is on a distinguished road

Yeah long time no update... http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...8190#post98190
To stop the water getting I'm planning not to open the boot when it rains....

Last edited by nzidol; 21st December 2018 at 00:55..
Old 19th August 2019, 23:01

Egdik is on a distinguished road
Default Tribute Owners Meeting

Tribute in F font pic 6.jpg

Owners Meeting

Saturday September 7th

Lunch at The Pelican Inn

Froxfield, on the A4 between Hungerford & Marlborough

www.pelicaninn.co.uk

We are welcome and booked from 11am with lunch at around 12.30pm

There are two spacious car parks, where we can have a drink and talk Tribute Cars.

Afterwards you / we can drive round a bit of Hampshire to the

Silk Mill at Whitchurch

for tea, overlooking the river Test, last orders 3.30pm.

www.whitchurchsilkmill.org.uk

If you are interested the Pelican Inn also has a room or two overnight on the Friday and or Saturday. We are staying there Friday night.

Please let me know if you will attend or at least think about it.

Please excuse us putting this notice on people's threads, but it is worth trying to have a social event.
Old 11th July 2022, 10:31

Default dor locking. Post moved to keep it all together

Door deadlocking solved!
The doors deadlocking on the Z3 has been a problem as with the new doorskin on you simply cannot open the car.
The remote can simply stop working, I have a spare and neither would work. The only way in is to remove the soft top rear window. If you have a sewn-in rear window or a coupe you are simply buggered.
This has happened to me on 4 occasions on 3 different cars, only once with the roof up, I routinely work with the roof down in case this happens.
Even with the roof down it is a pig of a job to get the doors open, hence the tiny modifications to the inside of the door.

THE CURE

Attach a wire to the blue/yellow/red wire from the ZKE A104 module behind the glovebox. The ZKE module has 3 plus, you want the centre purple one.

Run this new wire to the boot, lock the car using the fob, touch the new wire to the positive battery terminal and the doors will unlock
Now I would love to claim this stroke of genius as my own work but someone is bound to grass me up so all credit to gookah on the Z3 forum.
Last edited by Jaguartvr; 18th September 2021 at 13:06..