Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 13th February 2005, 10:44
Enthusiast

tomboysexi is on a distinguished road
Default Where are you in the country?

Hi everyone, hows the build going or perhaps I shouldnt ask.

Talk about a fluke, yesterday I was visited by two new friends.

One is a Merlin owner and builder, the other adouble Ginetta builder and owner. The words of wisdom and advice for SVA you could not pay for. In fact one offered me a pair of seats that were 'spare'.

I also found out that there is someone on my area also building the 5EXi, only thing is I do not have any idea where.

Then I realised that I had not taken any notice on how widespread the builds are.

Just to start the ball rolling I live in Romford, Essex.

Would be great to see any other builders in the area, or even further afield (once the car is running).

Regards to all

Trev
Available from eBay
Old 13th February 2005, 17:00
Enthusiast

Dan is on a distinguished road

I'm in Northampton...
Old 13th February 2005, 20:00
Enthusiast

marlinturbo is on a distinguished road

Trev,

As you know I'm in Taunton.
Anyone else near me?

John
Marlinturbo
Old 14th February 2005, 08:40
Enthusiast

Ex-Biker is on a distinguished road

St Columb in Cornwall.

Doesn't it tell us this next to our posts?
Old 15th February 2005, 12:09
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

I've just ordered my kit Trev. I'm just up the road to you in Basildon. Just in the middle of stripping the donor.
Old 15th February 2005, 13:22
Enthusiast

Default Thanks everyone so far

As exbiker says, it does often say in our posts, but limpabit proves the point. He is on my door step and I couldnt see him.

I know Basildon quite well, Staceys corner, Pitsea even used to go ten pin bowling there years ago. In fact my mate who is doing the wiring for me lives in Langdon Hills.

Just to update everyone, my new found friends have taken away my clutch mounting 'to make a better job of it' not sure if this only applies to Turbo versions however I am sending photo's of most bits to Marlinturbo who has kindly put them on his website. When they have done the job I'll send them too.

I have also started trying to fit body parts, but this looks like it may take a while.

Regards to all builders

Trev
Old 15th February 2005, 13:48
Enthusiast

Sorry everybody. I've updated my profile now. I live in Pitsea. It's good to have someone so near.

If you need any help let me know. Not sure I'll be much use but the offers there.
Old 16th February 2005, 17:33
Kit Car Dreamer

Barry is on a distinguished road
Default Oxfordshire Build

Hi There
I have nearly finished the build of a 5exi with a standard 1600 engine and appear to of overcome most of the problems,please contact if I can be of help.I live in South Oxfordshire ,is there anybody local to this in the process of building the car
Barry
Old 16th February 2005, 21:50
Enthusiast

holgate86 is on a distinguished road

I might be furthest North in sunny Teesside, It's a bloody long drive to Marlin that's for sure. I suppose it proves I didn't just choose Marlin for convenience. I haven't seen any near completion pictures posted yet and I'm not sure how it's done, not that i'm near completion mind, the project has been a bit stop start for one reason or another. Good look to all and hope to see fellow builders at forthcoming shows. Brian
Old 17th February 2005, 00:59

5exi1stTimer is on a distinguished road

Hi to everyone - Andy from Northants......(start building in 2 weeks-AT LAST!!!)

there's a few of you fellow builders out there who live close(ish) to me so hopefully we'll be exchanging frustrations soon....

anyone completed (or nearly completed) a T series marlin?? Wld like to hear about it...?? Cant wait for people to hear about mine

and i've heard of a Marlinturbo website but cant find it... is it a myth?!?.....Anyone help?

look forward to hearing back....

andy
Old 17th February 2005, 10:37
Enthusiast

Hi Andy.

Marlinturbo's web site does exist it's just having a few problems at the moment. Not sure if it's a hosting issue. It's in the Sticky section.

Btw the way I should have my web site up and running soon. As I only have engine and donor bits at the moment I only have it locally.

I've just had a brain wave. I've also put what model of 5exi I'm doing just for information in my signature. It might be useful.
Old 17th February 2005, 10:41
Enthusiast

Opps signature did not work.
Old 17th February 2005, 19:00
Enthusiast

marlinturbo is on a distinguished road

Andy, John..

Yes the Marlinturbo web site is down for the moment while I re-write it.
I have a heck of a lot of stuff to put in there that will be usefull!

John
Marlinturbo
Old 17th February 2005, 19:39

John - Thanks - Look forward to visiting site when its up and running....

in the mean time, have you (or anyone else) got any reccomendations for preperation before my kit arrives?! Is it worth hiring the "build stands" from Marlin? Will i need anything out of the ordinary when i purchase my tools this weekend?!

also, be good to get an idea of who is doing what with there builds, engines, colours, extras etc....anyone thought about ABS option? I'm still not sure!

I apologise if these topics have already been discussed but i'm a virgin this forum activity malarkee.... First time for everything i guess (just like the 5exi)

look forward to hearing back from u all....

andy
Old 17th February 2005, 23:05
Enthusiast

Default Hi Andy

I am a Turbo man.

Had the chance to ABS but my son and I agreed that we were going for raw. When we saw the doors we agreed doors are for wimps.

Driving ours will hopefully be very entertaining.

By the way we have just bought a Ginetta G26 anybody know anything about the 2.0 Pinto? well itmakes a change from the T series.

Good luck with your build mate!

Trev
Old 17th February 2005, 23:07
Enthusiast

Andy, I left a message on your mobile, I wanted to know if you are going to get your chassis at the end of feb or if your going to wait for the body to be ready. If you want to go down end of feb and share the van hire / driving let me know.

Cheers
Dan
Old 18th February 2005, 15:21

Hi Trev - turbo 4 u too... excellent! Have you started the build yet or are you on the "Gimme Gimme Gimme" list for the end of Feb???

I Totally agree about the doors too, its a kit-car not a taxi! I'm hoping once in the 5exi i wont wanna get out in a hurry anyway so who needs doors!!!!

i'm 95% sure i wont do ABS now too, be more fun tinkerin' around with front/rear balance valve and getting it exactly how i want - Hope i'm right! Would like to see one with ABS fitted though!

Dan, Hows are you? Was good to bump into you in Luton few weeks ago. I'm planning to pick just Stage 1&2 up end of Feb (all being well!!) and Stage 3 at a later date, dont want the body panels laying around in the garage until i'm closer to fitting them. I have already organised transportation through a friend and if there was enough room for 2 chassis's i'd gladly take you down with me, unfortunately, there is barely room to transport just mine... Sorry!

Is there anyone else going down at the end of Feb? Be good to meet some more builders....

andy.
Old 18th February 2005, 17:41
Enthusiast

No probs Andy.
I'll probably just go down mid march then and collect Stage 1,2 and 3 I can't really afford 2 lots of van hire and petrol.
Sure I'll see you again at some point.
Old 18th February 2005, 20:25
Enthusiast

Default If Only you knew

Andy,

I was lucky and collected the chassis last Feb but due to a heart attack have had a number ofet backs that have slowed down the build.

If you are interested I have a 20 second video. 4meg in size that I sent to my mate marlinturbo errr John.

Think it brought a smile to his face, So what is the vid. Only the first time we started the EXi on the ignition key. If you pm me your email address I'll send it to you.

Hopefully have it on the road in the next couple of months.

Regards to all fellow builders and soon to be builders.
Old 18th February 2005, 23:08
Enthusiast

MikeN is on a distinguished road

Hi chaps, literally posted deposit cheque off to Marlin this week and bagged the last of this months batch of 10.

Will pick up modules 1 and 2 mid March.

Oh yes I live in Ibstock which is in North West Leicestershire. I suspect that there isn't, but I would love it if there was someone else building a 5exi nearby.

I would also appreciate it if some of you could offer some advise on getting a donor sorted.
Have checked out as many breakers online as possible, emailed them (weekly)scanned Ebay and Autotrader but all in vein.
I'm kinda getting the idea that I am approaching this entirely the wrong way. Any ideas?

Mike