Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 7th May 2011, 16:19

lancelot link is on a distinguished road
Default Scimitar Based 1950's Style Race Car

Following on from a subject touched upon on my other thread on here regarding the Sammio Spyders - I have decided to start a new thread covering our new project , The working title is SAMMIO G46 - That might change !

The new body is being developed to fit the Scimitar SE5 chassis and running gear...The SE5 is 99'' wheelbase as opposed to its SE6 sibling that is 103.5'' ...The later version has been adopted by the Hot Rodders as its pretty much Ford Model A or Willys Coupe dimensions , as well as being only 2.5'' shorter than the Ford Model B chassis...we are using the shorter chassis as it is dimensionally more appropriate for our needs being slightly shorter and a few inches narrower as well...This is still a big car though at approx 14' long !

The project is concentrating on body production at present ...it is being built in the same way as the Spyder , a replacement body for a stock Chassis ( no mods at all - many people using these chassis remove outriggers and the fuel tank - not us !! ) The body will rely on the Scimitar bulkhead in the same unique way the Spyder does and the example we are building currently uses the entire Scimitar floor as well - its there , we may as well use it !......The cars will undergo a re-name only , no IVA , still retaining original registration , tax exempt where applicable etc. etc....This body will feature , seperate double skinned doors a bonnet and maybe a bootlid as well !

My colleague and myself have started shaping the body up ...we are using lots of foam strips to get the voluptuous curves of a mid 50's car that I am looking for and work is moving on steady inbetween 'proper' work...

Heres some taster pics , you need to use a bit of imagination at the moment , but I'm really pleased with the way its shaping up so far....

I'm not sure how far these will be developed as a 'kit' yet ....initially bodies and sundries only and we will build some turnkeys as well ....prices are to be confirmed but initial calculations suggest that a full bodyshell with accompanying panels etc in an extra thick layup should be around the £1500-1600 mark

Last edited by lancelot link; 4th March 2017 at 09:59..
Available from eBay
Old 8th May 2011, 21:45

PaulC is on a distinguished road

I don't know where you find the time.

As with the Herald though I'm wondering about donor availability. Aren't the cheap ones knackered and the decent ones expensive restorations?
Old 8th May 2011, 22:53

Paul ....Having Mike on board has helped ease the workload - still doing 55 hr weeks though most weeks.

The Scimitar based kit won't be as popular as the Herald one - price and build level are different....There are surprisingly quite a few SE5's around ...since we started I have bought 3 ...a nice one for £700 , not so nice £200 and horrid £50 ! I have been offered about 5 others as well ....they are out there.

Both Herald and Scimitar share a similar chassis in design and make it ideal for avoiding SVA/IVA etc....they also both fit into the category of costing more to restore than they are worth restored - keeping prices reasonable for now....
Old 14th May 2011, 15:16

Just left the workshop - we have gotten the bonnet skin in place and Mike was busy gluing foam strips on as I left....

When one side is pretty much shaped up , we will roll it outside and take some better pics...
Old 28th June 2011, 05:47

Roadster is on a distinguished road

Hi Gary, any update on this project?

I know you are always busy have you managed to roll her forward to get some better pictures.
Old 28th June 2011, 14:30

Hi,
We have been plodding on with this one alongside the 550 ....updates on the recently revamped website.

heres a link

http://www.sammio-spyder.com/sammioG46.html

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST...
Old 28th June 2011, 22:22

Its looking great,
How long do you expect before its completed?

I have already spoken to you about the rear section to fit to my mx5 based special - my jag front end is well under way and now I have seen the progress on the rear of your car its a definite.

So I want to put my name down for the second rear out of the mould.

Do you need a deposit?
Old 28th June 2011, 22:29

I need it without the head fairing though

Any plans for a bootlid?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0203.jpg (37.2 KB, 53 views)
Old 29th June 2011, 15:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
I need it without the head fairing though

Any plans for a bootlid?
aaah ...its you ! Hello...

No deposit reqd. thanks , just let you know when we are ready to go....

The tank causes a few issues with the boot area , but there is a massive loadspace doing nothing under there ( rear seats originally )..so we may try and fit a boot incorporated into the headfairing , perhaps or just to one side - not sure yet....will probably be a lift out panel rather than hinged at this stage...
Old 29th June 2011, 21:09

A lift out panel would be very useful but i wont ask you to make it specially as I will be ready for the back end as soon as its made,

Is blanking out the fairing going to be a problem as i need to cut this area away for the hood?
Old 3rd July 2011, 11:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
A lift out panel would be very useful but i wont ask you to make it specially as I will be ready for the back end as soon as its made,

Is blanking out the fairing going to be a problem as i need to cut this area away for the hood?
Blanking out the fairing will be pretty styraight forward ...we have done it a few times with the Spyder - you get some scarring , but not too bad ...a bit of a tickle with some filler and alls good.....

I am leaning towards creating a bootlid that will be part of the headrest , so your body section would need to be moulded slightly differently but , you could create a bootlid fairly easily - difficult to explain without standing next to the car , but we would create the apperture for you as well....
Old 3rd July 2011, 13:24

no problem as soon as you let me know i will come down and finalise the changes.
Im sure when all prepped and painted , everyone will think it was designed bespoke.

Is it still looking to be complete in 6 weeks? or have i slightly longer to wait?
Old 9th July 2011, 15:41

We are forging on - no pun intended ...actually not relevant as we aren't copying anything ( stop rambling Gary !! ) .......

I have taken the reins of general kit production and customers projects for the last two weeks to enable Mike to carry on with the G-46....He is doing a fantastic job...it is very rewarding to see your ideas coming to life in front of you and I am very lucky to have someone on board who , not only has an equal interest in the car and 'gets' the design , but can shape up a body exactly how I can picture it and often without needing much prompting from me ....Mike totally knows how this car should look and can make it happen...His input has been invaluable...

We still have a couple of design elements to play with - we think the car needs side vents on the front wings , its a big car with large areas and a bit of wing detail will help break it up a bit , plus the V6 will need to get rid of hot air as well...The vents drawn are our initial idea ...I like the 'porthole' idea - mid 50's Buick style , not sure the car needs a big vent like some , just a suggestion of breathing holes really ....trying to avoid 'gills' as the car looks enough like a Blue Whale or Great White as it is !!

Here's some pics ...

The way the wing flows into the grille mouth is an area I am really pleased with ..the smallish opening has great lines ....And look at the way the wing climbs from the door and flows back down again ....the 'coke bottle' effect combined with its silhouette make this car just so beautiful ...Im my opinion , of course , and I am a bit biased !!

The exhaust's exiting through the rear valance is a little detail that I really like and they are the stock Scimitar exhausts....the body has been totally formed to fit a stock chassis , outriggers , fuel tank , exhaust etc - all as they were .....

Apologies for gushing - I am so passionate about this project , it is hard to not to .....

Should start moulding the body in the next two weeks - hopefully..

Last edited by lancelot link; 9th July 2011 at 15:52..
Old 9th July 2011, 22:35

Garry its looking fantastic and your right Mike is a genius.

I can't wait to come and collect my rear moulding

I was worried the back end was going to look a little heavy but in the latest pics it looks as dainty as the spyders.

I thought i had figured out in my head the rear light configaration but i will have to wait till its here as its changed a little since i saw it last.

Keep up the good work it has come on leaps and bounds in just a few weeks. im so impressed
Old 10th July 2011, 13:12

Our thoughts on rear lights were something like this earlier Sammio...

I don't want to put one above the other as thats going down the Cobra route -nothing wrong with that , just trying to avoid the obvious....

I also have some '48 Ford lights I might play with as well....I like them , Mikes not so sure !

Last edited by lancelot link; 10th July 2011 at 13:16..
Old 10th July 2011, 13:55

I was planning on using austin 1300 units on there side but i think the rear wing doesn't finish as flush with the rear like the spyder so i might have to re think or get the resin out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqUOKikE33njz(0nBN-hkpH!yw~~_1.jpg (26.6 KB, 49 views)
Old 11th July 2011, 12:45

mulberry is on a distinguished road

wow she looks stunning gary, half of me wish i waited and built that scimitar,HEY ANY IDEA`S ON THE SEAT`S,
Old 11th July 2011, 15:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulberry View Post
wow she looks stunning gary, half of me wish i waited and built that scimitar,HEY ANY IDEA`S ON THE SEAT`S,
Build the Sammio , run it for a year or so ....sell it ( we just received a deposit on the red one at a sale price of £6750 and thats not as nice underneath as yours is going to be....well £7600 delivered to Stuttgart , actually ) and then build a G-46 .....More than happy to sell you another project , Gary !!!
Old 11th July 2011, 21:43

Garry can we have more pics please especially of the rear ok im biased because its the part im waiting for - but i need to keep the creative juices flowing as i pick the resin and glass from my hands.
Old 13th July 2011, 22:30

Nike55 is on a distinguished road
Default G46 Design - Storage Space

I love the idea of a 'supersized' Spyder with the G46 project. It looks a little 'D-type ish' and the size of the beast means it will have road 'presence'. There must be very viable market for this type of vehicle. The idea of using a Scimitar as a base vehicle is inspired - it's all there, just waiting for a change of clothes.

Last edited by Nike55; 16th August 2012 at 19:31.. Reason: Serendipity