Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Miglia Builds and discussion

Miglia Builds and discussion Miglia bodied builds

Old 17th March 2019, 22:27

deni is on a distinguished road

Paul L - yes Paul, it looks I am in the 'fearless' stage as I am getting more confident in my abilities. I just have to make sure that I don't progress too far, i.e. the 'reckless' stage

Thank you for your encouragements.

Cheers, Deni
Old 25th March 2019, 14:58

Hi all,

Just a quick update. I have had a chance to trial fit the body this weekend. I am very pleased that I will be able to use my MGB seats. Narrowing the seat base worked out and the upright part of the seats fits without need to cut the body. I will tweak this further when I bond the body onto the frame, but it is good to know that I can now commit to these seats.

The angle of the upright part of the seat is adjustable and it can be folded too. The seat base is fully adjustable too (height and back/forward) and pictures show the base of the seats at it's highest position, so there will be enough space for head rest cushions too.

IMG_1755.jpg

IMG_1753.jpg

IMG_1757.jpg
Old 25th March 2019, 15:44

Looking at the photos it seems that I did not do much last weekend, but I did lot of measurements, drawings and head and chin scratching to decide (figure out ) what to do next and how, which also need to happen I suppose....I have made a mock up of the compartment behind the seats. I will make a wood template and make a fiberglass copy of it. Still need to finish the mock up, as I keep changing it to maximise the space. I would like to fit a spare tyre in it and a small bag of tools/things, jack etc.

IMG_1760.jpg

IMG_1798.jpg

I am trying to extend the box to go over the swing spring. I will make sure I make access to the spring to diff mounting area if it is necessary to access it in the future.

IMG_1799.jpg

I will also make it a bit longer at the bottom. When I've trial fitted the seats I noticed that there is available space behind the seats, even if they would be in their position furthest at the back, so the back bulkhead can also be angled rather than straight, which might look good actually...to be continued...

IMG_1800.jpg

I have also traced the line of the body curvature at the back of the bonnet area to make a template for the upper part of the bulkhead. This will also be made in fiberglass, glassed together with the rest of the bulkhead and bonded to the body later.

IMG_1761.jpg
Old 25th March 2019, 16:00

I have trial fitted the bulkhead too, just to confirm it will fit. The template I am making is to bridge the gap in between the bulkhead and the body.

IMG_1758.jpg

So much for now.

Cheers, D.
Old 26th March 2019, 07:23

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Great that you can use your MGB seats, they are very comfortable.

Leave yourself plenty of space around the rear spring as it's a bugger of a job to remove it if you need to (make sure you loctite the studs into the diff and use new locknuts as there's a tendency for the studs to come loose if you don't).

I found the space behind the seats very useful for 'hand luggage', a towel to wipe your face when it rains, a bottle of water etc. A sealed in, sloping bulkhead might look cool but the space is too useful to lose imho.

Keep up the good work!
Old 26th March 2019, 15:47

Thank you Mr.Towed. Yes, I am really chuffed I can use these comfy and, in my opinion, good looking seats.

The panel on top of the swing spring will be removable, if I decide to make the box so deep. I will make sure I put some loctite on the studs, thanks for the tip.

The angle where the back bulkhead will be looks greater on the photo than it really is, so even with the slope I will still have some space behind the seats.

I will try to make it like this, just to see how it fits/looks, and if it does not work out I'll trim it back.
Old 3rd September 2019, 11:56

Default Finally Back In The Garage...

Hi all,

Finally I can continue with the build… I have made more modifications on the frame, so I think the front side is done now. I will only add another L shaped brace in the middle of the top bulkhead rail to connect it to the bottom rail (marked with masking tape).

It's all just positioned on the frame at the moment and I just need to finish welding it to the frame. I did not have time to do it this weekend, after measuring and fabricating the parts - I have to do it slowly and generate as little heat as possible, as I have filled the frame with the wax to protect it from the rust at the very beginning of the build...

IMG_2130.jpg

IMG_2128.jpg

IMG_2127.jpg

IMG_2125.jpg

IMG_2123.jpg

Last edited by deni; 3rd September 2019 at 13:02.. Reason: missing word
Old 3rd September 2019, 12:13

I am happy with the frame modifications at the front, so I can continue with placing fibreglass bulkhead parts. After all the welding is done I will glass/bond it all together to make a strong structure and clad it all with aluminium sheet to finish it off. Photos show mocked up bulkhead.

IMG_2119.jpg

IMG_2136.jpg

IMG_2131.jpg

There is a lot of space behind the bulkhead to make a decent size storage box too…

IMG_2138.jpg
Old 3rd September 2019, 12:35

I am planning to use original engine side panels to mount the radiator. I've temporarily placed old radiator to the panels using cable ties to check how it all fits. The top of the panels will stick out, so I have marked the area that could be trimmed to fit under the bonnet.

IMG_2122.jpg

IMG_2121.jpg

I hope that the radiator is positioned high enough, using mounting points (holes for the bolts) below the top ones that will be removed (I think these are original mounting points). It will sit a bit higher when it's connected to the top hose, but it seems that the fan sticks out a bit, just above the top of the radiator. Hope that this is ok…any advice is welcome.
Old 3rd September 2019, 13:00

Another thing I'd like to check - my clutch slave cylinder is fitted with a plastic pipe instead of copper one, so the connector attached to the slave cylinder does not have a nut/bolt thread.

IMG_2105.jpg

IMG_2113.jpg

IMG_2115.jpg

I am planning to use a new flexible hose in between master and slave cylinder copper pipes using a rubber break hose.

Am I right in thinking that I can remove (unscrew) the plastic pipe connector from the slave cylinder and screw a new (short) flared copper pipe with the fitting directly into the slave cylinder?

IMG_2110.jpg

IMG_2109.jpg

So much for now.

Cheers, D.
Old 11th September 2019, 14:52

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Deni - Sorry I can't help much with your technical questions.

But it is nice to see you still chipping away.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 11th September 2019, 21:11

Hi Deni, that clutch hose looks very much like one from an MG Midget -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-Midget...MAAOxymxFRnXEI

You can either just use a new Midget one or replace the whole thing, connectors and all, with a copper/kunifer one for a Spitfire/Herald, and both solutions are likely to be more reliable than trying to adapt a brake hose.
Old 13th September 2019, 10:08

Paul L - Yes bud I am still chipping away , thanks for your comment. I am not always able to work on the car, but I will finish it!

Mister Towed - Thank you very much for your advice. I was looking to buy a Spit/Herald copper pipe set, but I did not find any containing a flexi hose (which I believe have to be implemented due to gearbox vibrations), so I thought I can use a brake flexi hose in between the copper pipes.
Old 13th September 2019, 10:26

Dale j is on a distinguished road
Default Flexi hose

Hi Deni if you need a flexi hose lookup pirtek uk they will tell you the local depot to you they will make you one up just take fitting sizes up or the old fitting and give the length of the hose keep up the good work
Old 13th September 2019, 20:07

Dale J - Thanks for the info, I will check it out. I hope you have made more progress with your car - your engine bay panelling looks very impressive.

Cheers, Deni
Old 25th September 2019, 16:57

Default GAZ Adjustable Shocks and Coil Springs

Hi all,

I have bought a pair of front GAZ ride/height adjustable shock absorbers and I am seeking a bit of advice/opinion on the springs rating and their unfitted length most suitable for me to buy.

I know that Mister Towed opted for 180lb and 11 inch unfitted length springs for his Spider, with 6 cylinder engine.

I also know that Dave Cymry at the end opted for 200lb, 9 inch unfitted length springs for his Miglia, also with 6 cylinder engine.

From Dave's pictures it seems that the ride height was easy to adjust, but I would like to check if I have understood the adjustment description. I was reading that it started with the shock height adjuster 2 inches from the lowest setting and by raising the shock adjuster further up (and compressing the spring more?) the front end was raised - is that correct please?

My car is fitted with 4 cylinder Spitfire 1500 engine, so it's a bit lighter and I have to lower the front end of the car probably 2-3 inches.

I have a feeling that 180lb rating would be ok for my car, but I am not sure about the most suitable unfitted length to be able to lower the car sufficiently.

I apologise if I sound a bit confused, but I am a little… ….any advice is helpful and welcome.

Thank you.

Cheers, Deni.
Old 26th September 2019, 10:50

Hi Deni.

You're right about height adjustment on the GAZ shocks - wind the adjustable spring-seat down the shock to lower the ride height and wind it up the shock to raise it.

As for spring rate, that really depends on how you want the car to behave and where you're going to drive it. 330lb. springs work great on a race circuit, but would throw you into the nearest ditch on the fen roads of East Anglia where I drive. As your car is likely to be 2-300kg's lighter than the donor, standard 180lb springs should give you a firm but still compliant ride.

The free length isn't too critical as you have about 5" of adjustment on the Gaz shocks, with a light car I'd say the shorter the better. Just don't go so short that the spring is free to move up and down between the top and bottom seats at full extension. They don't need to be under much compression, they just shouldn't be able to move. I'd measure the distance between the inner faces of the top and bottom spring seats at full extension and add 1" as a minimum spring length (I hope that makes sense).

One final thing worth mentioning, you might find that the inside diameter of the spring is narrower than the raised portion of the lower spring seat that it's supposed to slide over to locate it laterally.

I had to grind about a mm all round from the spring seat to get the (standard Spitfire) springs to fit and I don't think I'm the only one who's had that issue with them.

Ultimately, suspension and wheel alignment/geometry on these cars is very much down to owner preference and trial and error testing.

Good luck!

Last edited by Mister Towed; 26th September 2019 at 10:53..
Old 26th September 2019, 11:54

Thank you so much for your advice Mr.T. You're spot in regard to my uncertainty about compressing the spring too much if it is too long, so your clarification is much appreciated.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the lower spring seat too!

I know that achieving a good suspension set up (in our case) is not an exact science, but your advice helps a lot, so ta mucho.
Old 29th August 2020, 18:39

Hi peeps,

Finally had some time and opportunity to work on the car....

I have experimented with modification of the seats in order to get the height of the back rest right. The base of the seats is a bit wide, so if I raise the seats the backrest sticks out too much. However, by raising the seats I am gaining more space to move the seats left and right and I can position them more towards the centre of the hump. This is just a mock up before I decide to cut the original frame.

This is a work in progress and I will continue experimenting with this as I really want to end up using these seats.

IMG_2353.jpg

This is approximately what I'm aiming to achieve.

IMG_2377.jpg

IMG_2378.jpg

I've used a Ford Focus backrest and chopped it to see how it could look when it's done.

IMG_2348.jpg

However, to not lose a lot of time with this at this stage, I bought a pair of Spitfire MK4 seats which I will use in the meantime. They have a much narrower base and are easy to position. I will clean and recondition the leather, so they will look nice when it's done.

IMG_2530.jpg
Old 29th August 2020, 18:48

I have also fabricated a two-piece centre section to further improve the frame. I will probably weld the back to the frame and leave the front piece removable for easier access to the gearbox if necessary.

IMG_2205.jpg

IMG_2566.jpg

IMG_2567.jpg

IMG_2568.jpg

IMG_2564.jpg