Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Miglia Builds and discussion

Miglia Builds and discussion Miglia bodied builds

Old 17th March 2019, 21:27

deni is on a distinguished road

Paul L - yes Paul, it looks I am in the 'fearless' stage as I am getting more confident in my abilities. I just have to make sure that I don't progress too far, i.e. the 'reckless' stage

Thank you for your encouragements.

Cheers, Deni
Old 25th March 2019, 13:58

Hi all,

Just a quick update. I have had a chance to trial fit the body this weekend. I am very pleased that I will be able to use my MGB seats. Narrowing the seat base worked out and the upright part of the seats fits without need to cut the body. I will tweak this further when I bond the body onto the frame, but it is good to know that I can now commit to these seats.

The angle of the upright part of the seat is adjustable and it can be folded too. The seat base is fully adjustable too (height and back/forward) and pictures show the base of the seats at it's highest position, so there will be enough space for head rest cushions too.

IMG_1755.jpg

IMG_1753.jpg

IMG_1757.jpg
Old 25th March 2019, 14:44

Looking at the photos it seems that I did not do much last weekend, but I did lot of measurements, drawings and head and chin scratching to decide (figure out ) what to do next and how, which also need to happen I suppose....I have made a mock up of the compartment behind the seats. I will make a wood template and make a fiberglass copy of it. Still need to finish the mock up, as I keep changing it to maximise the space. I would like to fit a spare tyre in it and a small bag of tools/things, jack etc.

IMG_1760.jpg

IMG_1798.jpg

I am trying to extend the box to go over the swing spring. I will make sure I make access to the spring to diff mounting area if it is necessary to access it in the future.

IMG_1799.jpg

I will also make it a bit longer at the bottom. When I've trial fitted the seats I noticed that there is available space behind the seats, even if they would be in their position furthest at the back, so the back bulkhead can also be angled rather than straight, which might look good actually...to be continued...

IMG_1800.jpg

I have also traced the line of the body curvature at the back of the bonnet area to make a template for the upper part of the bulkhead. This will also be made in fiberglass, glassed together with the rest of the bulkhead and bonded to the body later.

IMG_1761.jpg
Old 25th March 2019, 15:00

I have trial fitted the bulkhead too, just to confirm it will fit. The template I am making is to bridge the gap in between the bulkhead and the body.

IMG_1758.jpg

So much for now.

Cheers, D.
Old 26th March 2019, 06:23

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Great that you can use your MGB seats, they are very comfortable.

Leave yourself plenty of space around the rear spring as it's a bugger of a job to remove it if you need to (make sure you loctite the studs into the diff and use new locknuts as there's a tendency for the studs to come loose if you don't).

I found the space behind the seats very useful for 'hand luggage', a towel to wipe your face when it rains, a bottle of water etc. A sealed in, sloping bulkhead might look cool but the space is too useful to lose imho.

Keep up the good work!
Old 26th March 2019, 14:47

Thank you Mr.Towed. Yes, I am really chuffed I can use these comfy and, in my opinion, good looking seats.

The panel on top of the swing spring will be removable, if I decide to make the box so deep. I will make sure I put some loctite on the studs, thanks for the tip.

The angle where the back bulkhead will be looks greater on the photo than it really is, so even with the slope I will still have some space behind the seats.

I will try to make it like this, just to see how it fits/looks, and if it does not work out I'll trim it back.