Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 25th September 2016, 13:35

lancelot link is on a distinguished road
Default Sammio bodyshell for sale

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1723532829...84.m1555.l2649
Available from eBay
Old 28th September 2016, 07:09

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Gary - Are you acting as a "selling/build agent" for Tribute, or have you officially taken over these 3 kits?

The Ebay advert gives the impression you are only selling the fibreglass parts, or is any internal framework included?
( Clearly the A352 requires less metalwork compared to the Spyder & Speedster. )

Either way, I genuinely wish you well in your new venture.

However, I hope you don't mind me making one suggestion towards your future success…

Please don't quote "starting" prices for what you will charge a customer for your kit building services.

As you need to ensure that you get paid fully for any work that you do and are not left out of pocket.
( This was something you didn't do properly in the past, leading to knock on problems. )

By all means, provide proper estimates when you have more details of the donor car and build standard required.
( Race car "survivor" vs. "just rolled off the production line". )

Buying a "cheap" kit to build yourself is one thing, getting a bespoke car build by a professional is another.

For your business to be a success you need to consistently "Under promise and over deliver."
( I know it sounds harsh written down, but in the past you sometimes did the complete opposite of this. )

For example, I used JY Classics to help me with my Cordite and this was their approach:
- They explained their hourly rates and approach over the phone before collecting the car.
- Once the car arrived, they had checked it over and only then provided a written estimate.
- No work started before I agreed with the price quoted and their caveats around "unknowns".
- They checked back with me when any problems came up (e.g. rear wheel alignment).
- They regularly emailed me updates on their progress and included photos.
- Overall, a very professional service, where the bill at the end had no surprises in it.
- So I was happy to pay, will use them again and am happy to recommend them to others.

Anyway, I hope you read this with the good intentions that it was written with.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 28th September 2016, 07:24

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Not disagreeing with you at all over the above, Paul, but I've just read the full ebay listing and I'd say that it fits the business model pretty well. The listing makes it absolutely clear that the entire build process is to be decided by the customer, that there's loads of flexibility and that the build budget needn't be large.

The only thing is, based on previous 'issues' GARY, ONCE A CUSTOMER PAYS YOU, YOU REALLY NEED TO DELIVER WHAT YOU SAY YOU'RE GOING TO DELIVER. Anything less is just going to cause you grief.

Good luck with the project and keep on posting pics of cars in progress where the customers agree to it.
Old 28th September 2016, 08:18

Psycho pops is on a distinguished road

Looks like the Sammio Family has gone full circle good luck with this venture, where does this leave the new Sammio that's gone very quiet of late?
Old 28th September 2016, 10:17

Thank you for the replies Guys ... I am aware of the mistakes I have made in the past and my more recent builds have been very much on an hourly basis , work paid for when done ...its working out much better !!

I have not taken over the kits ...I had a conversation with Chris , who owns the Miglia and A352 and , as we all know , was handed control of the S*mmio by Micky1MO with this posting on their home page ...

"Due to unforeseen circumstances REPLICA RIDE will soon stop trading".

SAMMIO body moulds can still be ordered through at TRIBUTE AUTOMOTIVE.

Phone Chris on 07901544241 or info@tributeautomotive.com

Chris is so busy and frustrated that he cannot spare the time to promote these bodyshells properly ...we negotiated a small 'trade' discount and I agreed to offer them at the same retail price as himself , giving people choices , but also took the oppurtunity to promote a part build service as well...
So , in theory , I GET PAID , CHRIS GETS PAID , THE DEAL WITH REPLICA RIDES FINANCIALLY IS UNAFFECTED , Potentially more sales ..everyones a winner ...

Unfortunately , my advert was complained about , has been removed and I have received the following communication from Micky1MO..

SAMMIO is now a registered trade mark along side this is the construction/assembly of the said product which is also protected.
(I can supply details of the said copyrights).
As the registered custodian of the SAMMIO trade mark and its build rights it would have been nice to be consulted on it's use!!. Sadly I was not.
More importantly you do not have my consent to build SAMMIO on a commercial basis!
In doing so you will be in breach of copyright.
If some body wants a SAMMIO built then I will build it myself after all I am also an established kit builder.

SO I AM NOT SURE WHERE WE ALL ARE AT THE MOMENT ...It would appear Chris is not in full control any longer , No one can use the phrase ''Samm*o ' without RR's permission ..which is a fucker as its my sons nickname ....

So , just to be safe guys ..be very careful when referring to your project ...Paul L , you had the right idea calling yours a Swordfish !! and if anyone is building with the intention of selling theirs ...just be aware of the legal implications !!!

POSSIBLY TIME FOR A SIMILARLY LOOKING , SIMILARLY BUILT VARIANT TO HIT THE MARKET ..ME THINKS ..
Old 28th September 2016, 10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho pops View Post
Looks like the Sammio Family has gone full circle good luck with this venture, where does this leave the new Sammio that's gone very quiet of late?
No idea Psycho ..
Old 28th September 2016, 12:31

Does this mean Replica Rides can cease trading but the new Alpha can continue under Sammio Motor Company banner..?

Is it the marque that has been copyrighted not the construction, service or repair of Sammio Spyders, especially as he has given up the moulds to Tribute.
Old 28th September 2016, 13:44

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road

Gary

I was quite amused at the writings and keen to know what your sons new "nickname is going to be" he he @
Old 28th September 2016, 14:20

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

I can picture the 1950s poster advert -

"There's never a dull moment with a Sammio"

Gary, when you were making the original Spyder buck, you didn't annoy an old gypsy woman, did you?
Old 28th September 2016, 15:58

Roadster is on a distinguished road

Its never boring in the low volume car industry

Gary the way I see it you have the original "Sammio" and I believe he is almost 7 now.

As for the cars you are promoting - It looks to me that they are all spyders.

Perhaps you should trade mark the term :P

Good luck with your venture Gary, your original concept was sound and now with all the hinesight - im sure the market is still out there for a low cost sports car.
Old 28th September 2016, 17:16

MikeD is on a distinguished road

Can I just say that I have a SAMMIO SPYDER, there said it out loud.... it says so on the V5 ( paperwork completed by Gary) so it must be true. I love this car, I am still building "slowly" and enjoying it all the way.

We must remember that through Gary's innovation we can all enjoy these cars, so good luck with the new project.
Old 28th September 2016, 18:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charman.tech View Post
Gary

I was quite amused at the writings and keen to know what your sons new "nickname is going to be" he he @
He goes by several names depending on his behaviour !!

Im erring on the side of caution from now on and will be changing his name by deed poll ... so little Aston Martin can go about his business until 2024 without fear of prosecution ...
Old 28th September 2016, 18:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford1360 View Post
I can picture the 1950s poster advert -

"There's never a dull moment with a Sammio"

Gary, when you were making the original Spyder buck, you didn't annoy an old gypsy woman, did you?
LOL ...Leave my mum out of this Oxford ....
Old 28th September 2016, 18:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
Its never boring in the low volume car industry

Gary the way I see it you have the original "Sammio" and I believe he is almost 7 now.

As for the cars you are promoting - It looks to me that they are all spyders.

Perhaps you should trade mark the term :P

Good luck with your venture Gary, your original concept was sound and now with all the hinesight - im sure the market is still out there for a low cost sports car.
7 and a half he informs me ....
Old 28th September 2016, 18:28

Joking aside guys ..as in reality its not really very funny , but I cant help but see the funny side in most things ... I don't think its fair to moan about something or someone without them having a fairchance to respond ...so , I will break down the part of the reply I received in order for a fair response to be posted ...

SAMMIO is now a registered trade mark along side this is the construction/assembly of the said product which is also protected.
(I can supply details of the said copyrights).

fair enough ..can't argue with copyright legislation ...

As the registered custodian of the SAMMIO trade mark and its build rights it would have been nice to be consulted on it's use!!. Sadly I was not.

As all business relating to S*mmio had been put into Tribute control ...I didn't feel the need to speak or gain permissions from anyone other than Tribute

More importantly you do not have my consent to build SAMMIO on a commercial basis!

As I don't claim to be affiliated or acting as a build agent , but merely an independent builder free to build any commercially available kit , I didn't think I needed permissions as such ..

In doing so you will be in breach of copyright.

Doubt that ...

If some body wants a SAMMIO built then I will build it myself after all I am also an established kit builder.

Fair enough ...if the marque suddenly took off again and was as busy as it has been ...ie ...half a dozen builds required at same time ..whats your plan ? Also can you clarify my understanding of the above ...if somebody buys a kit from you and pays a 3rd party to do any work relating to the build on their behalf without giving you first refusal , they may well be in breach of copyright ? If partial work is exempt , then at what percentage of the build process does it transfer to kit build rather than partial build or works carried out ? This is important because builders like Paul L on here that authorised a 3rd party to do mechanical work on their S*mmio and MOT work from my recollection , may well be in breach of your legislation as I can see nothing in Paul's thread ( and he is very thorough ! ) that mentions a conversation with yourself before he authorised a 3rd party ...
If you find out that a 3rd party has built S*mmio's for profit ...whats the procedure to rectify that ?..a local guy has built one for resale fairly recently AND I'VE SOLD 3 PART BUILTS THIS YEAR ...

Last edited by lancelot link; 29th September 2016 at 00:17.. Reason: inadvertently forgot to use an asterix in the brand name , leaving myself open to prosecution.
Old 28th September 2016, 19:36

Triumph Special is on a distinguished road

I hope a solution can be found to this.

One day we'll all have to thrash out a definitive history of Sammio and all the twists and turns: all the people involved, who they were, what they called themselves (!) who really built them, etc. It'd be quite the page turner!
Old 28th September 2016, 19:52

Oops, sorry, didn't realise I was opening a complete can of worms.
Old 28th September 2016, 20:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Oops, sorry, didn't realise I was opening a complete can of worms.
Not a problem Paul ..its been going on for a few days anyway ..poor old Chris is trying to get products out the door and spending too much time acting as a middleman in this ridiculous farce ...

My reference to you above was merely to demonstrate the stupidity of the statement made to me as I understood it ...
Old 28th September 2016, 20:13

Gary - No worries about mentioning what I have done on my build.
( As you said, I did use two separate garages to help me. )

Although, based on Pop's post, I might actually be breaking the trademark myself by updating the useful info thread!

Anyway, where are the peace & group hug smilies...

Old 28th September 2016, 20:14

This one has got under my skin and as such want to voice my opinion

Since the mould was turned over to Tribute is it still a Sammio ? I would understand had this been an Alpha
When a Sammio Motor Company kit is sold is it under contract that no third party will aid build , service or repair,
Thought we had moved on from days when companies could dictate who services the products. If Retro is no longer in business will you build under Sammio Motor Company Marque?

That is if the person wants you to build it surely they have the choice of who they part there hard earned cash with.

History shows when a new owner of the Sammio Brand takes over the succesful spyder his attention is diluted to producing X amounts of variables and other kits while the whole time the original Sammio Spyder plods on with sales in the background, while slight improvements may have been warranted there are some of us on here with GJ originals and happy, yes we could have had simpler packages that would slot together over a couple of months but that was never the ethos, cheap kits with scope for builders input as far as I can see.. it works for me.