Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 3rd September 2017, 07:51

Barber is on a distinguished road

I think the 275 has a slightly different roof from the 250.
Old 3rd September 2017, 11:30

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

If you remove the electric seat mechanism and go with a low profile manual seat runner you should be able to gain a fair bit of head room. I'm driving a standard Z3 at the moment and I'm 6 2". I find the driving position a bit short with my knees bent up a fair bit. The door card pocket wedges against my shin and the tunnel top is up against my leg on the other side, that's with the seat right back ! There's a section of trim I removed from above the pedals which has given my size 12's a bit more space !

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 3rd September 2017 at 15:43..
Old 3rd September 2017, 12:46

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Sounds like things are moving forward for you ..good news ...

How do you stand with the VAT now applicable to the kit price ? Do you still have to pay it in NZ .?
Old 3rd September 2017, 12:51

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Is there now VAT on Tributes? Hadn't heard anything about it.

Just checked the Tribute website and VAT is now payable.
Old 3rd September 2017, 14:21

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Hmm, is the VAT at the full 20% ?

For the life of me I can't see why the 250 SWB soft top is £1545 + Vat more expensive than their Kobra kit. You are basically getting a very similar set of panels ( but a different shape ) but you are paying a big premium.

Yes, I know its still cheaper than other options out there but it has all of a sudden become a very expensive set of fibre glass panels, it wasn't cheap before. It would be good to hear that the quality of the mouldings has improved and the build time reduced but that would seem unlikely.
Old 3rd September 2017, 16:50

Chris mentioned in a post a few months ago that vat was coming. Effectively from 1st Sept.

So long as people are prepared to fork out for spoked wheels and repro instruments, as well as pay for the build, I don't see the panels as being expensive, especially when the net donor cost is so low.
Old 3rd September 2017, 17:01

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

I thought my kit was good value for money, even more so now with most of the small teething problems sorted out.
Adding another 20% won't help sales and don't forget it doesn't go into Tributes pockets.
I could lead even to a small price reduction, Tribute will be able to reclaim 20% on material costs and anything else they have to pay VAT on, this up to now has had to be absorbed into the cost of producing the kits.
Old 4th September 2017, 05:44

Welshkiwi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans View Post
If you remove the electric seat mechanism and go with a low profile manual seat runner you should be able to gain a fair bit of head room. I'm driving a standard Z3 at the moment and I'm 6 2". I find the driving position a bit short with my knees bent up a fair bit. The door card pocket wedges against my shin and the tunnel top is up against my leg on the other side, that's with the seat right back ! There's a section of trim I removed from above the pedals which has given my size 12's a bit more space !
Cheers LLM. I was certainly thinking along the lines of swapping the seat mech out and a slimmer seat if needs be. My issue is being in NZ I can't try any of the options out myself so was using your experiences as guinea pigs! Hope you don't mind. It will be the headroom that is my concern, legs whilst important I can play with the recline a bit and get that bit right. Plus my old Dax Rush was a pig for leg position but I still had a smile on my face! Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber View Post
I think the 275 has a slightly different roof from the 250.
Yep you are right Barber, kidges 275GTB is slightly taller in the roof than the SWB. Chris made some adjustments for that build to suit kidges requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
Sounds like things are moving forward for you ..good news ...

How do you stand with the VAT now applicable to the kit price ? Do you still have to pay it in NZ .?
Cheers!, I should be ok with the VAT, it can be "zero rated" for exports. Chris will have to keep the proof of export so the customs and excise don't come knocking on his door!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
Is there now VAT on Tributes? Hadn't heard anything about it.

Just checked the Tribute website and VAT is now payable.
I hear you JagTVR. It will make the local kit a little less desirable for some, but I concur with Barber, the ones who really want to build a special car won't be worried by the VAT bill. Maybe a simpler version/more contemporary car style could be put together by Chris at a lower price point for the guys who want to have a different style to their car without the full replica expense. Might work......
Old 4th September 2017, 10:37

couerdelion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshkiwi View Post
I am 6ft 2" and with the roof closed and the seat all the way back/down my head was rubbing slightly on the headlining.
I'm 6ft 4" and didnt have that problem it was more with legroom but even then nothing too bad that I dont have in every other car.

I've taken the seats out and am fitting different ones. Just fabricating the mounts at the moment and will let you know what they are like once they're in and fitted.
Old 5th September 2017, 07:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by couerdelion View Post
I'm 6ft 4" and didnt have that problem it was more with legroom but even then nothing too bad that I dont have in every other car.

I've taken the seats out and am fitting different ones. Just fabricating the mounts at the moment and will let you know what they are like once they're in and fitted.
Cheers, appreciate it. I'll look forward to seeing your progress!
Old 9th September 2017, 06:14

Talking My donor car is in my possession!

Hi guys, just to update you. Donor car is in my possession! 1999 2.8 Z3. Roadster wide kit with 18" 10spoke alloys. (46k miles)
Once I have finalised things with Chris I will start a new thread covering the build and let you know what we are building! I love that exhaust note, can't wait to make it sound more gravelly with custom pipes. Bring it on.
Old 9th September 2017, 06:42

Great news, I am looking forward to seeing how this one develops.
Old 9th September 2017, 13:45

Paul L is on a distinguished road

WelshKiwi - Congratulations on your donor car purchase.

I look forward to your build thread.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 12th September 2017, 04:19

Arrow Thread moved to Old No7 - The build thread begins......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
WelshKiwi - Congratulations on your donor car purchase.

I look forward to your build thread.

Good luck, Paul.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber View Post
Great news, I am looking forward to seeing how this one develops.
Hi guys, cheers!.

Just shutting this thread down as I am up and running with a build thread on Old No7 Forum. Look forward to more contact and great tips!

Welsh Kiwi - 275GTB
Old 17th October 2017, 03:00
Kit Car Dreamer

NZ Steve is on a distinguished road

Hi check when your car was 1st registered in NZ if it was before 31 March 1999 it doesnt have to be frontal impact compliant so long as it is NZ new Steve
Old 17th October 2017, 03:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ Steve View Post
Hi check when your car was 1st registered in NZ if it was before 31 March 1999 it doesnt have to be frontal impact compliant so long as it is NZ new Steve
Hi Steve, yeh been in touch with the LVTA over this and the car wouldn't meet regs without structure being built between the two absorbers points. Not insurmountable but with the limited room for the 250swb front clam and the radiator etc it was a no go.

If you have a look on Old No 7 builds you'll see I have a new thread on there. Building a 275 GTB kit as the fwd absorbers/bar is untouched. Kit expected to arrive from the UK in Feb. cheers Mark.