Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 21st February 2012, 16:58

Nike55 is on a distinguished road

Hi WCA - your build seems to be going very well and I note that you seem to be well ahead of where you were recently on the Scim site -it could be a time warp problem with their site though!

Curious as to how G46 builders are going to finish their cars, I was going 'Mercedes Silver' with appropriate ornamentation but after visiting Holton Heath and seeing 'Orca' again believe 'Ferrari Red' (or maybe yellow) is the way to go.

Having trouble imagining rear lights, with Orca's more upright, ahem, 'flanks' horizontal lights (like Merc 300SL) don't work - wondered if vertical oblong lights would look better than a couple of round lights, but then fusion or classic? LEDs or standard?

What's the view elsewhere?
Old 21st February 2012, 18:22

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

I have struggled to make much progress because of family commitments but it is slowly getting there. I have the new gaskets and suspension bushes on the living room floor. I have a full stainless steel engine bolt set being delivered this week. I am hoping to strip clean and rebuild the engine this weekend.
Notice I said going to rebuild the engine. I know next to nothing about engine building but how hard can it be?
Just remembered that I need to order a steel timing wheel as mine are the original plastic ones. Also the chassis outriggers and front braces. Then get them welded on. I promised gary I would get the car down to him soon too. I might have to ask him to sort the welding at the same time as fixing the extra framework.

Colours. I definitely wanted blue until I saw the photo shop colour pictures where the dark blue didn't look as good as the burgundy. I like the ideas of mercedes silver especially as I am having the SLR twin hump style but I am not convinced it will work.
Old 21st February 2012, 19:03

The lights on this aren't too bad. I am thinking of using it as a styling reference point. Not copying it but borrowing bits and pieces
Can't pates from my phone
Google sbarro mille miglia and it I'd the yellow one. 2007 from memory
Old 21st February 2012, 21:04

I was going down the Merc SLR route but having again seen 'Orca' I am not sure it would suit. 'Orca' has too many curves, the Merc is more square/flat.

I'm cutting costs in some areas so spraying car myself, silver is a bit difficult apparently so sticking to an easier colour. Probably yellow.

Have seen the Sbarro MM and its a kind of Canary yellow of the Scaglietti Spyder Ferrari 410S.

Good luck with the engine build - the Scimitar RSSOC has a wealth of info. I went a different way and started with the best mechanical donor I could get, but of course unlike you I don't really know what the real condition of the engine/gearbox is as I haven't had to re build it - yet.

Heading to Stoneleigh this Friday to the retro racing show so should get some more ideas for lights, gauges trim etc.

Will be watching your further posts with much interest.
Old 21st February 2012, 21:19

I hope to update the blog soon too. Damn work keeps getting in the way.

https://sites.google.com/site/g46wca/
Old 25th February 2012, 19:05

Busy day in the garage for me today. Bu99er all to show for it. I finished striping the engine down, and then a mates nephew turned up who is a mechanic which was a stroke of luck. Apparently the economic times are hard for him at the moment so he has time on his hands and fancied helping out. Result!

Most of the engine is back together after a bit of cleaning and with new gaskets and stainless steel bolts. The end result is an car that looks pretty much the same as it did last weekend.

Another friend came round to look at the chassis and offered to weld on the new out riggers next weekend which is good. Means I need to get the rusted suspension bit out for him to weld tomorrow which should be fun.

My box of bushes is sitting in the corner sulking because I haven't fitted it yet.

The big news is that I fitted the new fuel tank today. not exactly challenging or big new except it is the first thing I have added to the car rather than removing.

So much to do, so little time!

Gary - i know i said I would try and get the car down to you next weekend but it is looking like the weekend after is more likely. I hope that isn't a problem for you but you look pretty busy with everything else you are doing.
Old 25th February 2012, 22:44

Getting there WCA!

Noticed you mentioned the engine is back together.. did you strip it down as far as the big bearings or was the bottom end ok...?

Good that you have someone available to do the welding too.

Looks like you'll be on the road soon then!
Old 26th February 2012, 07:59

Left the block in one piece but removed the sump (and chassis cross brace) so i could get a good look at things. This was when Sam the mechanic turned up so he looked too and said it all looked okay so we started putting it back together.

i am going for a rtide this morning and then this afternoon I am hoping to finish the engine and strip the front suspension to the remove the bracket that needs welding. Let's pray for no stuck nuts.
Old 26th February 2012, 08:23

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident View Post
. Let's pray for no stuck nuts.
Ooh, there's nothing worse than sticky nuts...
Old 26th February 2012, 08:30

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road
Default Engine

which block did you use?
Old 26th February 2012, 11:43

All my own engine. I am keeping yours as a spare in case anything goes badly wrong.
Old 26th February 2012, 17:24

Stopped rebuilding the engine until I get a metal timing wheel. Hopefully I can order one this week so I can get on with the build next week when John has done the welding.

I have got the passenger side front suspension off and a mate is going to shot blast it during the week so I can rebuild it next weekend. I have all the bushings I think so hopefully this time next weekend I will have most the engine built and one side of the car bouncing correctly.

Currently it looks like this:

Note the missing outrigger and front chassis strut. The steel is sitting ready so hopefully it will be fairly straight forward to weld.
Old 26th February 2012, 19:40

Can't get much more back to basics....

Verily it will be worthy to be called a completely refurbished 'down to the last nut and bolt' restoration.

So should all be up and running and on the road by April...

Kudos, dude. (As they might say elsewhere)
Old 26th February 2012, 20:56

April?!???!?!

What is wrong with the end of February? ;-)

Nut and bolts. Getting right in my tits with the socket set. All imperial bolts but sometimes metric fits best. The only big wrench I have has metric sockets so I have been using a baby socket set and a f00kin great lump of wood to move stuff.

Really pleased that I only resorted to the angle grinder to cut off one bolt.

I know I need to drill out the bolt that is left but what does that mean?

The thread is cut into the chassis so I need to make it clean enought ot get the new bolt in.

Please can I have some simple and clear instructions on how to get the bolt out without destroying the threads. Pictures a welcome
Old 27th February 2012, 09:38

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Lots and lots of penetrating oil for a few days, then attack it with a 'screw extractor' set.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Damaged-Br...#ht_2223wt_698

That one's just an example, I'm not saying it's any good.

The brand we had in the tool stores on fast jet squadrons was called 'Easy Out'. Probably the most ironically named tool ever as they're a bu99er to use.

Sometimes the only way to get seized bolts out is to drill them out completely, then re-tap the hole to a larger bolt size or fit a helicoil thread repair.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/88pc-helic...#ht_1199wt_754

Again, I'm not saying that set would be any good, it's just an example of what's available.

Good luck!
Old 27th February 2012, 12:10

Lots and lots of penetrating oil - allow to soak or a day or two, Try a very gentle attempt to undo then lots and lots of penetrating oil and leave for a few days. Try a very gentle attempt to undo. (You get the idea)

If no luck dry the area thoroughly and taking all necessary precautions (bucket of water, sand, fire extinguisher, helper to keep an eye on things etc) carefully apply gentle heat to the area of the bolt. Then carefully try to undo. A few very light taps of (a very light) hammer might help.

If no luck proceed to drill out and use an extractor as Mr Towed above.
Old 11th March 2012, 20:44

Chassis almost finished and the passenger suspension stripped and prepped for new bushings.

Friend helped me out
Old 26th March 2012, 08:59

A bit of progress. The engine is now closed. The chassis has it's chassis paint covering the POR14. The suspension bushes have p155ed me right off!

https://sites.google.com/site/g46wca/2012-03-25
Old 26th March 2012, 12:44

Good progress WCA.

Suspension bushes always a challenge - getting the metal bit out ok with a hacksaw but have had to burn out the rubber 'outers' on other car in the past...

Re the carb. Did you have the fuel spigot 'tapped' to stop the spigot loosening off? Some carbs had a problem with this but not all. Wondered if you'd thought about this while you easy had access?
Old 26th March 2012, 13:53

Will check my spigot. The carb is off the engine I got from Charman.tech as the one off my engine was knackered.