Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 8th December 2013, 18:13

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie22 View Post
I knew you'd succumb! Been watching you slip and slide toward the cliff for ages!! You're HOOKED Towed!!
Best of luck tonight.
So...... watcha gonna build?????
Ha ha. No, not looking to start another project just yet. If I was looking to bid on a Vitesse I wouldn't be putting it up on here to alert the competition!

I am watching the 250 GT Berlinetta SWB thread over on the Tribute pages with real interest though...
Old 9th December 2013, 21:14

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Potential donor finishing on ebay tonight -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3807847728...84.m1423.l2649

Nothing to do with me btw.

It didn't sell
Old 10th December 2013, 21:57

NTDWM but I happen to know where there's a 4.2 litre V8 and flappy paddle gearbox, complete with all ancillaries and pipework, taken from a rear end damaged 2002 Maserati Spyder Cambiocorsa for sale. Seller is in my bit of West Norfolk and looking for about £2k. PM me if you're interested and I'll put you in touch. Could prove interesting in a Herald chassis...
Old 11th December 2013, 10:48

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

I WANT THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately I can't afford it :-(
Old 11th December 2013, 15:53

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

Hey Mr T, your racing machine sits on a chassis similar to mine, what clearances do you have underneath from the road?
Have a quick look at at my thread and you will understand what I mean!
Old 11th December 2013, 20:13

Quote:
Hey Mr T, your racing machine sits on a chassis similar to mine, what clearances do you have underneath from the road?
Hi Scottie, don't worry, been following your thread over on the other side with interest.

I'll measure my ground clearance front and rear over the next few days and get back to you. After raising the suspension and fitting 80 profile tyres in place of the 70 profiles I initially chose I now have just enough ground clearance.

I'm also from the 'praise the lowered' slam it into the weeds generation, but the reality of driving a radically lowered car over speed bumps was a cause of much anxiety and a very unpleasant experience. I can now sail over sleeping policemen at up to 20mph without expecting to see exhaust components and bits of the sump in the rear view mirror. With my original suspension settings - 95mm lowered at the front and 85mm at the back - it was grounding on the roads round here in normal driving.

The other thing about suspension settings on these cars is that original 50's racers weren't actually that low anyway, so your car won't look silly with tall tyres and a higher ride height than you might go for on an oval bug. Ultimately, the right wheels and tyres will complete 'the look'. Good luck.
Old 12th December 2013, 20:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
NTDWM but I happen to know where there's a 4.2 litre V8 and flappy paddle gearbox, complete with all ancillaries and pipework, taken from a rear end damaged 2002 Maserati Spyder Cambiocorsa for sale. Seller is in my bit of West Norfolk and looking for about £2k. PM me if you're interested and I'll put you in touch. Could prove interesting in a Herald chassis...
And the perfect 'box for a manual conversion...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maserat-4-...item4d16259d03
Old 12th December 2013, 20:52

garyh is on a distinguished road

1934... thats an amazing looking gearbox, i would like one like that.
Old 13th December 2013, 08:51

Quote:
Sorry for the delay Scottie, finally got round to taking some measurements and a few snaps of the ground clearance I now have (last one shows how it stands on the road) -

As you can see, I have about 90mm clearance at the front, around 170mm clearance at the back and 100mm to the lowest point I could find in the middle (although I could grab a bit more with different exhaust clamps in the middle).

It's the middle measurement that's critical where speed bumps are concerned - at slow speeds that don't compress the suspension when you hit a speed bump, anything between the front wheels (or rear wheels for that matter) will rise up with them as the tyres climb the slope, so the clearance remains constant even if it's only 10mm.

When the front wheels go down the other side of the slope, however, anything too low between the front and rear wheels will hit the ground.

When I had my suspension really low I actually got stuck in a supermarket car park that had those stupid black rubber wedge speed bumps all over the place on the way out. There was a serious danger that my pride and joy would turn into a Spyder see-saw if I tried to cross them and I had to wait until people vacated the parking spaces either side of the ends of the damned things so I could drive round them.

I've always loved slammed cars, but from experience, I'd make sure you have at least 100mm clearance the whole way along the underside between the front and rear wheels if you want to avoid those horrible heart stopping grinding sounds as you negotiate speed bumps.

Good luck!
Old 13th December 2013, 08:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
1934... thats an amazing looking gearbox, i would like one like that.
Given a big enough Lottery win I'd have that just sitting in one of my lounges...
Old 13th December 2013, 15:46

Thanks so much for going to the trouble you did for the measurements Mr T.
I really appreciate it.
Mine would seem to be very similar at present, thank God they don't put speed bumps on major roads!
Old 14th December 2013, 16:15

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Mr T - I'll echo Scottie's thanks for taking those measurements.

One quick question about the exhaust clamps...

Could you not rotate them round a bit so the bolts are pointing straight down?

Maybe it is the camera angle, but that looks like it would give you slightly more clearance.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 14th December 2013, 17:28

Default Bulkhead mods

Hi Mr. T, having fitted my "new" wheels for the pics, I'm glad I did, as the front one fouls the bulkhead on lock.

My mistake, I failed to fit before the body went on, and now must address the problem as best I can.

I am aware that I have the problem, but have not as yet had a good look to see how I will fix it.

Something like: slit the bulkhead and tap it back an inch or so then weld it together seems about right?

have looked all through your thread, but cannot find the bit about you having the same problem.

If you've been there, done it and got the T shirt, you may be able to save me some time/effort etc.

What was your solution, and do you have any pics please?
Old 15th December 2013, 09:52

Paul - If I turn the clamps round so the bolts face downwards the ends would be about 1/2" closer to the ground, while if I try to turn them so the bolts are parallel with the ground they'll foul the chassis rail. Where they are at the moment and with the suspension set up I have settled on (excuse the pun) they have just enough clearance so I'm happy with them.

Scottie - I addressed the front tyre clearance issue by moving the whole bulkhead back 20mm on the chassis. That was simple enough with the body off, I just drilled new mounting holes 20mm ahead of the originals and bolted it on.

Even then I still had to 'adjust' the clearance by bashing the front faces of the bulkhead in with a lump hammer - you can see the slightly concave effect achieved in the picture below. That worked but now I've switched to 80 profile tyres from 70's the tyres are just skimming the paint off the bulkhead whilst manoeuvring.

This isn't a problem on the road but I'll have to sort it before the next MOT. Similar to your suggestion I'm thinking along the lines of cutting an 'H' shaped pattern of slots, pushing the resultant square sections inwards and welding fillets in to restore the integrity of the bulkhead. On the plus side, at least the tyres are marking the exact points where the modification is needed.

The good thing about this low budget rebody thing is, as Yoda would say, 'Impossible is nothing.'
Old 15th December 2013, 10:29

Default Bulkhead

Thanks for that, you spotted your problem early and were able to do the "correct" thing as it were.

Since last posting, I have had a more in depth look at mine and although annoying to have to do, it looks a relatively straightforward exercise along the lines you intend to go.

I may well have to trim a bit off the front arch rear fibre glass wing return edge, (wow! that was a mouthfull!)
as that looks a bit too close for comfort. Again, not major stuff.

As you once said ( and it seems to influence me with every mod I make since you said it!!)

"I'm sure you'll find an elegant solution Scottie!"

Last edited by Scottie22; 15th December 2013 at 10:30.. Reason: missing letter
Old 21st December 2013, 11:01

So, got the Spyder out of the garage this morning to give it a wash in preparation for a session with a professional photographer tomorrow...

It scrubs up quite nicely imho and it's survived its first six months on the road with just one or two settling cracks.

The old MGB wires haven't fared quite so well though. Having grit blasted them myself, then degreased them, given each two coats of primer, two coats of Simoniz wheel silver then two coats of clear lacquer, I expected them to last pretty well. After only 1,300 miles on the road, however, they now look like this close up -

I'd expected them to start rusting after a couple of years and had planned to have them powder coated when that eventually happened.

I took my egg crate grille and had it powder coated when I wasn't happy with the paint finish I got with a rattle can, but when I tried to wash off what I thought was dirt this morning I found this -

Hmm, it's rusting from the inside out which is a bit of a surprise after all the hype about how tough and long lasting powder coating is. At least I made the grille removable as it just bolts into the bonnet brackets. I might have to revert back to using Smoothrite on the grille and wheels as that seems to be resisting rust where I used it on just about everything else.

I guess long term ownership of one of these is going to be a lifetime of tinkering. Good job I like that sort of thing...

Happy Christmas everyone.

Last edited by Mister Towed; 21st December 2013 at 11:02.. Reason: wrong pic posted
Old 21st December 2013, 11:10

1iTim is on a distinguished road

hey Mr T hows it going? Its pretty tough about that powder coat, its got me with second thoughts about having my whole chassis blasted and powder coated. how has the powder coat place responded if you've talked to them?
Old 21st December 2013, 11:20

Viatron is on a distinguished road

Really good powder applicators will warranty there work, my man blasts everything to SA 2.5 spec to get the right surface prep and the finish is like glass and lasts forever . Do you know if they blasted it or just coated what you supplied?
After having 2 chassis powder coated I wouldn't do another, powdercoat is a mare to touch up and a lot of the time a small chip can let water under and by the time you notice it the substrate is thoroughly rotted!

I did get a price off my current powdercoater to do my chassis and he would give me a 5 year warranty but the price was scary! I guess you get what you pay for ?
Old 21st December 2013, 11:29

I haven't spoken to the powder coater as I only noticed it had rusted this morning. I didn't ask for a warranty as I just expected it not to rust and, to be honest, it looked really good when it was first done. The grille was blasted and coated for £25 at a local place so at least I didn't spend too much. I think I'll sort it myself with Smoothrite when it gets too bad.

If I ever built another one of these I think I might just have everything metal - chassis, bulkhead, etc. galvanised during the build. Either that or move to Australia. No problems with rust down under, hey 1iTim
Old 21st December 2013, 12:07

phil9 is on a distinguished road

looking forward to some nice photo's then towed .....are you off now ..