Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 27th December 2016, 14:16

mcramsay is on a distinguished road
Default Windscreen fitting help

While waiting for my registration documents to come through I decided to have a go fitting the windscreen. I found some instructions on here for fitting which I followed, marking 60mm and 130 forward on the scuttle and cutting a slot. I now have the screen fitted with the Lower ally trim piece fitting well into the contours of the scuttle with the inner edge resting on top of the scuttle however a few things don't line up with some of the pictures I have been looking at, also the screen seems to have a fair bit of rake.

I don't see how I could move the screen anywhere else, if I tilt it up the aluminium trim piece no longer rests on the scuttle or fit in the countours, if o come any further back into the car then the aluminium trim inner edge will be right on the edge of the scuttle. Currently I have 1" between the edge of the scuttle and ally trim piece...

The reason I'm trying to be so accurate is from previous experience if the screen is in the wrong place then the wet weather gear is even harder to fit

Here are some pics... does it look about right?

Available from eBay
Old 28th December 2016, 12:11
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Hi,
you'll find my windscreen fitting pictures here......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/peters...th/3290081557/

.........hopefully something in there will help?

IIRC there were some basic fitting instructions supplied by Marlin.

You'll need to leave some room for the demisters slots/vents in the scuttle and you are right that you need to get the rake of the windscreen correct for the hood to fit correctly.

....peter
P.S. proabaly best to check with Marlin as I've noticed the later cars and hoods have the 'screen raked much further back...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/peters...7600173048451/

Marlin built Sportster by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr
Old 29th December 2016, 11:22

I offered up the doors with the screen in the current position. The rake on the screen sets the door parallel when it's pushed up onto the screen pillar. However o don't feel I can move the screen further forward towards the front of the car as the door will then be too short.

I think the windscreen will work where it is as long as I can find some thin demister vents. Looking at marlins puprle car they have the screen fitted right back at the edge of the scuttle! So I think mine is a good compromise.

I don't like the idea of marlins new screen, would have preferred the old chrome one!!
Old 30th December 2016, 14:32
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcramsay View Post
I offered up the doors with the screen in the current position. The rake on the screen sets the door parallel when it's pushed up onto the screen pillar. However o don't feel I can move the screen further forward towards the front of the car as the door will then be too short.

I think the windscreen will work where it is as long as I can find some thin demister vents. Looking at marlins puprle car they have the screen fitted right back at the edge of the scuttle! So I think mine is a good compromise.
Ah yes, if you already have the side screens then aligning the windscreen with them will be perfect.
IIRC that purple car had 'eye ball' type vents mounted on the dashboard which could be swivelled to point at the 'screen which may be why the 'screen was mounted so far back.

Please do try to find a better solution than those awful springs that Marlin used to hold the cat rail!!
Old 30th December 2016, 19:10

Yea Terry wants the roof back to modify how it fits at the front, the best time to do that will be with the screen fitted so it can be trimmed to the correct length during the modification.

Thinking long and hard I have decided against fitting a heater system in the car, I never really wanted one to begin with and I won't be going out in the pouring rain. I never had one in my old kit and never really suffered with fogging windscreen, especially if you use the anti fog spray on the screen.