Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 4th July 2017, 22:13

Rudycob1 is on a distinguished road
Default 250swb on a z4

I'm looking with great interest on building a coup 250 swb but trying to see if the kit can be modified to fit on a z4 so as to get a longer looking front and slightly wider.
Has this been done before?
Is it possible to do and will it look closer to the original shape than on a z3?
look forward to your comments and I think that this forum is great.
You guys at Tribute are amazing and I really admire your work.
Available from eBay
Old 4th July 2017, 22:39

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudycob1 View Post
I'm looking with great interest on building a coup 250 swb but trying to see if the kit can be modified to fit on a z4.
Rudycob1 – Here are a few answers to your questions…

Has this been done before?
- As far as I know, no one has modified the current SWB 250 kit to fit a Z4.
- I'm sure Danny_HUFC was talking about using a Z4 as a donor once, but I'm not sure what happened with that idea.

Is it possible to do and will it look closer to the original shape than on a z3?
- I am sure it would be technically possible, but whether it would look better is a different story.
- Are you looking to do the work yourself, or get someone else to do it for you?
- As Chris posted this the other day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute Automotive View Post
Just for the record, I no longer have time to take on builds for customers...
However, the 275 coupe was a one off set of panels paid for by a customer.

So Tribute may consider a one off conversion if the price is right.

Either way, I would not underestimate the amount of work involved.

Because as soon as you start ‘cutting & shutting’ one area, there will be a knock on impact on another.

Which means you will end up building a ‘buck’ rather than a body shell and therefore need to take a mould for your kit.

And I would strongly suggest you discuss that idea with Chris before you do anything else.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 4th July 2017, 23:53

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

I would assume that because the Z4 is a different size and shape then it won't be an easy swop. Nothing from the standard Z3 kit will fit a Z4. If you have plenty of funds and time to throw at it you may or may not get it finished.
The Z3 base is a good starting point , find a low mileage example and build an "improved" car like JeffH's etc , you will be more than happy with the final result. Unless you can do all the work yourself, then even an "improved" car is likely to be an expensive and time consuming project.
Old 5th July 2017, 06:01

Thanks for your comments and replies.
All very good and interesting points and I understand that non of this will ever be straight forward. Im not new to the kit car seen and have built a few over the years.
I'm very hands on but also have my limitations so if I do this it will be a bit of work being commissioned and a bit of my own.
I don't mind investing in a project but I'm a fussy bugger and want to do things right or not bother at all.
I do a lot of research and plan each project down to the last detail.
I have always loved this car and kit and think that done right they look stunning.
The area of concern to me is the front as it looks a little short in respect to the overall ratio of the car. I know the reasons why so trying to see if there is a way of improving on this as a one off. The rest of the detail, like you both said, can be done with time, work and funds.
Old 5th July 2017, 07:04

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

I is a glass fibre set of panels. With an angle grinder, extra matting and some filler, anything is possible...
Old 5th July 2017, 08:23

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

One of the nice features of the 250 on a Z3 is the lift up front end.
Makes the build much easier and give great access.
If you use a Z4 you would have to fi the front end and have a hinged bonnet, tricky but not impossible as it has been done on DNA's 2fifty.
Old 5th July 2017, 08:47

?

Quick google of the Z4 appears to show the bonnet opening the same way as the Z3
Old 5th July 2017, 08:49

Standard bonnet and wings set up, the Z3 bonnet is very much larger and when open only leaves the small winglets.
I'm sure it could be adapted but a lot more work.
Old 5th July 2017, 08:51

Got it, thanks*

*not that I am looking at Z4s with the option of swapping my body panels over. Heaven forbid!
Old 5th July 2017, 09:03

I think a better idea is your bonnet and a rear end that will fit like the Kobra so you don't have to fit the door skins.
It would make it cheaper and much quicker to build. I think that this would be money and time spent more wisely that radically altering the mould to fit a Z4. I can se the benefit though, the Z4 seems more plentiful and seems to generally have the larger engine option. 2.8/3.0 Z3's seem very thin on the ground and are becoming more expensive than Z4's

What we need is some mug, sorry meant to say committed forum member, to loan their painted and finished bonnet and get Chris to Employ the chap who did such a great job making the mould on Lancelot's GR120. If the rear mould was made to the same standard the car would "almost" be ready for paint.
Chris could probably charge the same amount as the existing kit. The builder could choose between a simple almost ready for the road kit or a more accurate longer build kit.
I'm sure the easy build kit would appeal to many builders, especially first time virgins.

Last edited by Jaguartvr; 5th July 2017 at 09:13..
Old 5th July 2017, 15:18

Barber is on a distinguished road

I can understand Chris being a bit wary of that though. I was re reading the original 250 swb build thread, and noted the state of the original shell after the new mold was removed.
Old 5th July 2017, 15:36

Don't worry about it, it's only WCA's bonnet
Old 5th July 2017, 16:49

Have I opened a can of worms here by asking the question?
you guys are in the know but I'm sure the Z4 option could be a great option for some and from what has already been said, has a lot going for it.
If the back looks good and the front can have a bigger longer bonnet, what about the doors and roof? Anybody good with photoshop on here?
I used to have a 3.0 Z4, it's a great sports car and a lot for your money nowadays.
For those who like the convertible, great electric roof on them.
Any more ideas?
Old 5th July 2017, 17:05

Anything can be done if you throw enough time and money at it.
I know Chris sunk a lot of time and money developing the 250 and I can't see him abandoning it to develop the same shape on A Z4, especially as he has a full order book and a waiting list.

Last edited by Jaguartvr; 5th July 2017 at 22:15..
Old 5th July 2017, 21:39

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post

What we need is some mug, sorry meant to say committed forum member, to loan their painted and finished bonnet and get Chris to Employ the chap who did such a great job making the mould on Lancelot's GR120. If the rear mould was made to the same standard the car would "almost" be ready for paint.
Glan came out of retirement to do my bodyshell and , has quickly gone back into retirement after !! I really don't think he'd want to do another large project in a hurry ...
Plus , regardless of mould quality , a mould is only as accurate as the buck or body its taken from ...If Chris starts with a nice body , he is capable of producing a nice mould ...He doesnt really need Glan ...
Old 5th July 2017, 22:11

It was more of a case that Tribute are so busy and I'm sure won't have the time.
Ideal job for someone in retirement.
Old 5th July 2017, 22:14

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
It was more of a case that Tribute are so busy and I'm sure won't have the time.
Ideal job for someone in retirement.
Aaah ok ..point taken ...
Old 8th July 2017, 09:21

The Z4 model between 2003-2008 has a conventional bonnet but from 2009 onwards it reverts to the full width bonnet like on the Z3.

Obviously the newer cars are a bit more expensive so the kit could also be more expensive are to a higher standard than other kits. That would ensure it didn't steal existing sales and would also give a long life to the kit as the current Z4 gradually gets older and cheaper.

Just a thought. Now who it going to Chris with a shiny Z4, a model request and a bundle of cash*?

*if someone offers me a good price for the original Z300s then I am front of the queue
Old 8th July 2017, 09:37

Interesting, hadn't realised they changed the bonnet. Quite a radical change for a mid model facelift.
Will probably need to get bit older before someone gets brave enough to chop one up but hopefully it will extend the life of the 250 kits.

Problem is the later cars have tintop roofs so won't look right on the convertible.

Last edited by Jaguartvr; 8th July 2017 at 11:48..